In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI General

[ROM] [Warning] Do Not Clear Google Services Framework For Faster Updates!

2018-03-03 02:22:51
3140 3

Hello Mi Fans,
Hope you all are loving your Mi A1 and the magic of its dual-camera setup. We are also aware of the fact that you guys are eagerly waiting for the February Security Patch - believe me, it will be released very soon and I assure you it would be worth the wait. Anyway, what has been concerning us recently is learning about how users have been clearing the data of Google Services Framework as a shortcut to receive the update earlier.

While clearing the data has proven as a solution for few, but it has always been advised not to do so - as many times it could have severe negative effects. It has been mentioned all over the internet about the negative effects; but just to make sure the newbies don't get into trouble, here is an excerpt from Google's engineer Dan Morrill posted over at Reddit four years ago:

Doing this changes the primary ID by which Google knows your device. As far as the servers are concerned, the device was basically factory reset. There are many downstream effects of this, but a big one is that this invalidates the tokens used by any app that uses GCM (which is nearly all the Google apps, and a ton of third-party apps.)

How apps react to GCM IDs changing varies by app. With Play Store you have to log out and log back in, I think Gmail usually handles it transparently eventually but won't get new mail notifications for a while, etc. Some apps you may have to clear data on to recover. All apps will simply stop getting GCM push-messages, until they get a new GCM ID; some do this frequently, others rarely, and some apps use the GCM ID as an ID on their own servers (as it is opaque and basically random), so other things besides push messages may not work.

Nothing bursts into flames, but it makes a ton of nuisances on the device, including some that can look pretty mysterious. Your mileage will vary depending on what apps you use.

I don't think anyone of you would like to get into the mess, would you? That's the reason we advise you to instead wait for the update a bit longer rather creating unnecessary chaos!

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. If I shouldn't Clear Google Services Framework, so what's the other way to get the update?
Ans. There isn't any faster way of getting the update. Please wait for the update to roll out for your device - it can take some time depending on which batch your phone lies. Just be patient! :)

2. What's with the batches? How does it roll out?
Ans. Constantly tapping at 'check for updates' button actually does nothing in any practical sense. The updates are rolled out in different batches and not all at once. Keep in mind that this isn't first-come/first-served. You're not racing other devices to get your slot in the current batch, or something. It is entirely random.

3. When is February Security Patch rolling out?
Ans. After successful Beta testing, the February Security Patch has started to roll out for every user. Please head over to Settings and check if you have received yours. If not, don't worry you'll get it soon!

4. What if I receive an error while updating if I had cleared the data of Google Services Framework? Any way to fix it?
Ans. Don't worry! If you had cleared the data of Google Services Framework earlier and are now receiving an error while updating; follow these steps to fix it: Clear the cache, then make sure to reboot the device. Once the app data gets restored you shouldn't be receiving any error again. Alternatively, you can consider factory resetting your phone after taking a local backup. Also, make sure you don't repeat the mistake again!

Thread credit goes to MridulSharma
2018-03-03 02:22:51
Favorites1 RateRate

Mi FC President

Shairuddin | from MI MAX 2

Thanks For Sharing With Us
2018-03-03 05:53:06
wow! this is important! thanks!
2018-03-04 22:24:10
wow! this is important! thanks!
2018-03-04 22:24:24