!privacy_agreement!
!privacy_agree!

Mi News

[News] Qualcomm to collaborate with Xiaomi for ‘5G Pioneer” Initiative

2018-01-31 02:32:40
647 7
Hello Mi Fans!

There have been many discussions about the improvements of 5G, and when it will be readily available in our smartphones.

During the 2018 Qualcomm China Technology and Cooperation Summit in Beijing on the 25 January, Qualcomm, along with many other leading Chinese manufacturers (including Xiaomi), jointly announce a 5G pilot program.

Top Management staffs from Xiaomi, OPPO, Vivo, ZTE, as well as Qualcomm President Cristiano Amon, said that they plan to work together and speed up the rollout of 5G terminals for commercial use as early as 2019.

“5G will bring massive new opportunities to the mobile industry, and we are excited to work with these manufacturers on this 5G Pioneer Initiative,” said Cristiano Amon, president, Qualcomm Incorporated. “Qualcomm Technologies has close relationships within China’s mobile and semiconductor ecosystem, and we’ll continue to work with this ecosystem to drive innovation as we move from the 3G/4G era to the 5G era.”

Lin Bin, Xiaomi’s Co-Founder & President, stated that he hopes that Xiaomi will be the first manufacturer to develop and release 5G-related products and hopes that Qualcomm will support it. Behind this partnership, there are many fees involved, which includes Patent & Service Fees - he hopes that Qualcomm will be able to support Xiaomi not only on providing 5G technology but in terms of subsidising fees associated with it.

“We are pleased to work closely with Qualcomm Technologies as Xiaomi has introduced generations of many smartphones powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon Mobile Platforms,” said Bin Lin, co-founder and president, Xiaomi. “For more broader opportunities that 5G will bring to Xiaomi, we will keep exploring and innovate on future technologies, insist on building high-quality smartphones for users worldwide and deliver Xiaomi’s products to users in a broader range of regions. I hope people can afford it,”

What are your thoughts on 5G developments?
Source - Qualcomm
Related Threads
2018-01-31 02:32:40
Favorites4 RateRate

Advanced Bunny

C20GGFX | from Redmi 4

all those China brand phones XD
2018-01-31 08:18:37

Master Bunny

Chinito | from Mi A1

Hmmm. We also have to consider the mobile service provider. It's not just about the mobile SOC, Qualcomm no question can build up to 10G for the love of technology! :)
Phone can handle but a local network provider is not, it doesn't make sense. Nokia initially testing their 5G to some of local carriers. This is how it should all start. In some countries, they will just be using the same bandwidth that are unused and make it 5G but in reality it's not the real thing.

I'm not against innovation I love it big time! Sometimes people are so fascinated with high end tech but at the end of the day, there's no difference. Maybe companies do have their market prospects - they don't include Chinito hahahahaha!

Thanks JJ for sharing this! Good read though.
2018-01-31 19:58:52

Mi A1 O Tester

Tom Chua | from Redmi Note 4

thanks for sharing
2018-01-31 20:00:43
Chinito replied at 2018-02-01 08:58:52
Hmmm. We also have to consider the mobile service provider. It's not just about the mobile SOC, Qual ...

Thanks for bringing up a great point! It's true that there's a lot of testing with telco companies in a particular country concerning the type of networks that they can cope with (whether if there is the proper infrastructures and facilities in place).

There are just so many parties involved in bringing 5G to consumers, I would even think that governments do play a role in making that happen as well!
2018-01-31 21:24:09
C20GGFX replied at 2018-01-31 21:18:37
all those China brand phones XD

Yeah haha, somehow brands like Samsung aren't there. I thought Samsung phones had Qualcomm chips in them?
2018-01-31 21:24:58

Advanced Bunny

C20GGFX | from Redmi 4

谭将俊 (Tham Jiang Jun)
Yeah haha, somehow brands like Samsung aren't there. I thought Samsung phones had Qualcomm chips i ...

they have for global version. Korea is exynos
2018-02-02 05:09:48

Rookie Bunny

Syahrir Hapusa | from Redmi Note 4

xiomi yang terdepan... mantap dari semua aplikasi...
2018-03-07 16:36:10