!privacy_agreement!
!privacy_agree!

Resources

[App] Today's Chit Chat - Strava Running & Cycling GPS; do you think its a threat to security?

2018-01-31 00:14:44
226 2
Hello Mi Fans!

On today's Chit-Chat, I'd like to ask you guys about your opinions about the Fitness Tracking App - Strava. Just yesterday, Channel News Asia came out with an article - Fitness Tracking App could be 'serious security threat' to Singapore.
"In November 2017, Strava tapped public user data to launch a global visual heatmap. The aim was to display popular exercise routes, but last weekend it was pointed out the heatmap also included military personnel running or cycling with their smartphones or fitness trackers such as Fitbit - thus exposing the location and layout of covert military bases globally."Source: Channle News Asia - Justin Ong

Source: Facebook Page of Muhd Amrullah

You're actually able to see the patrol paths of security personnel, trails within Gombak Base, which is where the Ministry of Defence is situated at. Although the area is blurred out since its a red zone, information about personnel in the camp can still be visible!
Trails are visible even in places such as Tekong, and Paya Lebar Airbase!

Do you think that such technologies are a threat to security?

Let me know in the comments below!
2018-01-31 00:14:44
Favorites1 RateRate
i think no need worry ba, google already has all the information they need....
2018-01-31 05:08:06

Master Bunny

Chinito | from Mi A1

This should not be focused on fitness watches and apps alone. In reality it's not the cause of military bases being compromised. Who on earth wouldn't know that Military Defense is situated in that location? Everyone can google that. If you google SG or any countries, it will still give us this data. It would be more concerning if these fitness apps are able to bypass the security passes in those secure military bases. That's more valuable to worry at.

We have to go back to the root cause, yes technology but is it really the fitness watches? I don't agree. It's the person who is using those watch. I'm not blaming anyone in the military personnel, but should this have been checked that when they run, it'll expose their personal data and their location. Too many factors, who is behind this article, how did they identify that the user is a military personnel, why these military men use their real info, why the base security tech team did not foresee this, why in the world Strava's users data were publicly rolled out without thinking this risk to their customers? I have so many WHYs hahaha.

To answer your question JJ, IT'S A YES AND NO.
Yes - If people will use it with their vested interest.
No - If Users and most of all app developers! will put customers on top of their priority and considerate to their nation's security.

I felt like I just wrote my own political marketing right? Hahaha! (^=^)
2018-02-01 02:06:04