!privacy_agreement!
!privacy_agree!

Tips & Tricks

[Tutorial] What Is Screen Overlay Detected Error : How to Fix It Easily

2017-11-23 02:47:58
2521 10

Hi MiFans.

Suddenly a pop up came up showing “Screen Overlay Detected“, and you’re wondering what is this, what to do and how to rectify it. Today I will show you how to rectify this error and you can enjoy the app you’re trying to start. I’ll explain how to turn off screen overlay detected in your Android phone in very simple steps.

Screen Overlay Detected : What is Screen Overlay?

First let’s talk about what is Screen Overlay in Android, so that you’ll get a good idea about this.

Starting with Android Marshmallow, a small error started to pop up, “Screen Overlay Detected“, which will not allow some apps to open/run.

Android has introduced this new feature, “Draw over other apps“, in Marshmallow & Nougat, which allows some apps to “draw” over other apps. Which basically means the app can show info on top of other apps. For example, Facebook Messenger uses this feature for their chat heads to be shown over other apps. And the famous Twilight app makes the screen reddish by using the same feature.

Now when installing new apps or try to use a new feature in an app you’ve already installed, sometimes Android will show the pop up “Screen Overlay Detected“. That’s because some apps which “Draw over other apps” permission enabled is running on background or foreground.

Actually, this is an extra security measure from Android, to stop some rogue apps you may have mistakenly installed from any sources other than Play Store, from taking advantage of the default Android settings.

These apps may (or can) do unwanted things when the overlay is running and asking for permissions. Android is not going to allow this, so the Screen Overlay Detected error pop up will be shown.

But there’s nothing to worry, this is a normal thing and it persists in Android as a security feature, and is shown to people running Android Marshmallow and above.

Screen Overlay Detected : How to solve the error?

Method 1

• First and foremost thing to avoid this Screen Overlay Detected error is to exit the apps that are having Screen Overlay or floating windows.
  • Apps such as Facebook Messenger, Twilight, Lux, Internet Speed Meter, Clean Master, etc. are the main cause in this case, as they’ll always be having screen overlay option enabled.
  • If you’re having any of these apps and they’re running (like Messenger chat head or Twilight filter), simple fix would be to exit the app before installing any new app or after it asks to disable Screen Overlay.

This works only if you know which app is causing the screen overlay problem, and if you’re not sure about that, you can follow the next method given below.

Method 2
Firstly , you need to close this pop up message on screen. And then try again. If you don't know or can't find to close any pop up widgets and shortcut , try as below method.

Open Security app  Go to permissions  Other permissions  Permissions  Display Pop-up window

Select three Dot menu on top right corner, Click on Restrict all and then OK. Dispaly pop up window permission of all apps will be restricted.

Now, open the apps that you have occured "screen overlay detected" problem and allow appropriate permission to apps .

Notes : Don't forget to give "Display pop-up window" Permission to all apps again.

Apps known to cause Screen Overlay Detected Error

So I mentioned above that some apps can cause this issue on your phone. Here is a list of all the apps that might be causing this error, with or without a visible overlay.

• Clean Master
  • DU Speed Booster
  • ES explorer
  • Xender
  • UC Browser
  • 360 Security

The above list of apps are the apps I noticed will be causing, without a visible overlay (or pop-up) of any kind. If you’re having any of the apps included in the above list, I would suggest you to uninstall it and look for an alternative. You don’t need an alternative for cleaner or anti virus apps, they’re just useless.

Below given are the list of apps with a visible overlay causing screen overlay detected pop up message:

• Messenger
  • Twilight
  • Bluelight filter
  • Sfilter

Screen overlay caused by these apps are normal, as they need that permission to show pop up (in case of messenger) or red screen (in case of Twilight & bluelight filter). Just turn off these apps or exit them if the pop up comes. You’ll be good.

Hope these methods worked out for you, and now you can enjoy the apps you were trying to install without worrying about the screen overlay detected pop up ever again.

Thats all folks!

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-11-23 02:47:58
Favorites11 RateRate

Master Bunny

FF8 | from Redmi Note 3

thanks for writing a fix thread!
2017-11-23 09:20:53

Device team

Salman986 | from MI MAX 2

nice thread bro
2017-11-24 06:43:00
Informative thread
2018-01-06 11:44:28

lungkhim7 | from Redmi 3S

Really helpful tutorial...  Thanks for sharing
2018-01-06 18:00:49

Pro Bunny

171098480 | from Redmi Note 4

yes nice information about screen overlay error
2018-01-10 02:44:29
informative thread
2018-01-30 06:15:27
Mi Fan - I ❤ Mi
Ex Spam Hunter and Ex Device team member
nice thread bro
2018-03-03 04:59:25

MiAkash | from MI 5

Helpful thread, thanks for sharing :)
2018-03-03 13:51:37
Mi Fan - I ❤️ MI
"Always Believe That Something Wonderful Is About To Happen"
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #9

Rookie Bunny

1630728150 | from Redmi Note 3

i tried this way but no use. still i cant allow location,telephone etc for applications newly installed. pls help me out
2018-05-15 08:36:57