In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Off-topic

[Not only tech] Another Year, 2022!

2022-01-19 22:00:57
146 2
Well, this is my FIRST post of 2022! And I wonder what delights Xiaomi will have to enthrall us all with this year. Already we are seeing the announcements of the next generation of smartphones and devices of every price bracket and category. But post COP 26 we should all be perhaps considering what we, each of us can do to improve our environment, reduce our contribution to climate change while preserving what is worth preserving of our way of life.
The current practice of yearly refreshing and iterating technology is (for the most part) unsustainable, and a better way needs to be found so that companies like our beloved Xiaomi can stay in business, delivering great products (but at a more sensible and sustainable rate) while exploring how to make existing products (through firmware updates etc) do more, and do tasks (depending on usage case) more efficiently.
Well I think that's enough from me!!
Have a great 2022 y'all.
Respectfully Yours, R
2022-01-19 22:00:57
Favorites RateRate

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

Good to see another one if yours :). You have a point about sustainable growth, but then the reverse of the coin with the fast renewal of the range is that Xiaomi doesn't produce heavily hoping it will sell, they adapt to the demand, so it's rare to have any overstock (issue that is really a big thing for other manufacturers)
2022-01-19 23:21:21

Semi Pro Bunny

19Mac61 Author | from app

Thank you for responding Tor!<br>
I wasn't aware that Xiaomi didn't overproduce (flooding the market on the vague hope of a sell) as other manufacturers seem to choose to do. That is actually good news for Xiaomi and shows an awareness of others could learn from.<br>
I do hope that Xiaomi can invest in seeking ways to offer a trade-in scheme that allows for profit while at same time offers recyclability with regards to resources etc.<br>
I for one would have no problem buying a product from Xiaomi if I found that much of that product (whatever the device might be) was produced from materials recovered from older Xiaomi products!!<br>
There are rare earths, metals etc, which can be usefully recovered and reused in the production of new devices and it would be a wonderful thing if Xiaomi became a leader in that arena.<br>
Respectfully Yours, R
2022-01-19 23:30:41