In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi A3

[Discussion] Fast Charging Issue

2021-06-07 03:56:08
390 3
My phone doesn't do fast charging anymore. What could be the cause? I use MiA3
2021-06-07 03:56:08
Favorites RateRate

Wizard Bunny

Suter | from app

Is it the charger or the phone?
2021-06-07 05:24:40

Rookie Bunny

Robstack Author | from Mi A3

Suter
Is it the charger or the phone?

I really don't know which one is the problem but I think it's the charger. It charges slowly now.
2021-06-07 05:26:50
You should clarify what "fast charging" means for you, because to me that means nothing really. For some, fast charging is anything above 1A at 5v, for others it's a synonym for one (or various) faster charging technologies (e.g., Qualcomm's Quick Charge [2-3, 4+], Oppo's [Super]VOOC, etc.)

Anyway, if you have a compliant Quick Charge power adapter it's easy to see if it works with your phone. Go to the testing menu (dial *#*#64663#*#*) and to the charge section, you'll be able to see how much current your phone is using (if the letters are red) or how much it's drawing from the power adapter when the letters are black and the number negative.

If the phone is connected to a USB 2.0 port in a laptop for example, it shouldn't even charge (those are limited to 0.5A and your phone at full brightness should consume more than that with other things in the background).

If it's connected to a regular charger (i.e., nothing past 5v, regardless of the current) you'd see something like this:

If it's connected to a Quick Charge 3.0 compliant charger you'd see something like this:

Note that even though the currents were similar (my phone was almost charged too), you see an USB_HVDCP_3 mention there when using the latter, voltage should be around 6.sth volts instead. Not much of a difference at the charge stage my phone was.

So... if you have such a charger and you see USB_HVDCP_3 in that screen, but your phone is charging slowly (say it's at 20% battery and that number is way below the one shown in my pic), I'd look at whatever it is that you're using in the background. Note the current in red when no charger is connected, it could help you figure out if the problem is something that's draining your battery quickly in the background, or it has something to do with the battery itself (e.g., it's really old and charges slowly because of its internal resistance).

If you have such a charger, but you don't see USB_HVDCP_3 in that screen, the problem could in the circuitry inside of your phone, but you'd need to assess with a different phone first to discard the charger being the problem (far more likely in my experience).

2021-06-07 09:27:39