In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Themes

Mi Creative Workshop
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Contest] [Mi Creative Workshop] Create Your Own Home Screen Setup. The Best Ones Get a Prize!

2021-03-15 19:15:01
43705 183

Hello Mi Fans!

Welcome to my Mi Creative Workshop. I am Amit, a mechanical engineer by profession and a true Mi fan by heart. Designing and playing with the setups of my Mi phone's home screen is my hobby.  

In my Mi Creative Workshop, I am going to teach you how to craft your own customized home screen set up for your Mi Phone. You can easily amplify your phone’s typical home screen layout and make it refreshing and eye candy!

Interesting, right? Now let's learn a few simple and basic steps that will help you customize your home screen to suit your usage habits and preferences.

My workshop is divided into two parts -

1) At first we will learn how to make simple wallpapers  for your Mi Phone in Photoshop
2) And at the second step, we will learn how to use KWGT widgets to make your home screen unique with endless possibilities.

• In the first step, how do we make simple wallpapers?

It’s easy. I have used photoshop here to design my wallpapers. The good thing about it is, from basic to advanced you can design anything with it. All you need is some thoughts about how you want your wallpaper to look like and some basic skills. You can make a simple yet super cool wallpaper in just 5 mins!

Step By Step Instructions:
  • Open Photoshop on your PC
  • Create a new document of your phone's wallpaper size. I have made it 1080*2400
  • Fill it with any color you want from the Paint Bucket tool.
  • Now go to Shapes. Pick custom shapes. And use any shape you want. There are a lot of shapes available.
  • Change the color of the shape to match your wallpaper color.
  • Go to Edit - Free Transform and adjust the size and position of your shape.
  • The wallpaper is ready!

To make the whole lesson much easier for you to understand, I have made a video. Here you will find 3 wallpaper illustrations and step by step guide to create them. Even if you are absolutely new to the designing world, illustration 1 will be very easy for you to execute. All you need is a bit of thought and time.

Check out the tutorial video

Now the second part, for this you need to have a clear vision of how you want your home screen set up to be. Will it be minimalist? Do you want to show your love for nature on your home screen? Or will be it very colorful and vibrant? Once you have decided the look, follow these steps-

Step by step instructions for Widgets placement:

• First, decide which launcher you want to use. I use Nova Launcher with no dock set up. You can use any launcher you want from the play store or the default launcher of your Mi phone as well. That’s completely your choice.
  • Go to the Google play store.
  • Download KWGT App (if you don't have it already)
  • Explore the widgets listed in KWGT
  • If you search the word KWGT in the Play Store search bar, there you will see a lot of widget apps both free and premium.
  • Download anyone you like and apply widgets according to your choice.

Check out the video to have a clear idea

I am sure most of you are familiar with the application of widgets on the home screen. So even if you don't want to use KWGT. You can use any custom widget of your choice. If you have any doubt or questions about how to use Photoshop or how to create wallpapers feel free to ask me in the comment section below. I’ll answer all your questions as soon as possible.

Here are a few of my setups. For some of the setups, I have designed the wallpaper. And for some, I have used different wallpaper apps. I have mentioned all the details there.

NOW IS YOUR TURN!

Create your own Home screen setups for your Mi phones from what you have learned from the video and remember to add your personal touch to them!

How to participate?
  • Follow my instructions and make your own Creative Home Screen Set-Up
  • You can design your own wallpaper or download the wallpapers I have provided in the zip below or from any wallpaper app
  • Apply any custom widget to make your set up pop up
  • Leave a comment with the screenshot of your home screen set up in this post, mentioning the wallpaper and widget name you have used in your setup.
  • I am going to give you advice on how to improve them so you can modify them if you want and repost the modified version.
  • I'm going to select the best works and make a new thread to announce the winners.

You can download wallpaper from here

Submission Deadline: 5th April 2021 Beijing standard time, GMT + 8:00

Rewards:

First Prize: Xiaomi AIoT Router AX3600
Second Prize: Xiaomi True Wireless Bluetooth
Third Prize: Xiaomi TV Box 4 4K HDR

To know more about Mi Creative Workshop, click the subscribe button down below to follow the column.

Mi Creative Workshop is a space where everyone can come and teach us something new, to use our Xiaomi phone in a more creative way.
If you have any special talent or skill that you would like to share with us, join this project by filling this form (https://forms.gle/mcTovtYAaGJERiGX8)
and sending a short description of yourself to mi-workshop@xiaomi.com

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +25 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2021-03-15 19:15:01
Favorites170 RateRate
Mi Creative Workshop
A space where everyone can come and teach us something new to use our Xiaomi phone in a more creative way.
13 Article Description     422 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe
Now this is an interesting contest! Interfaces have always been pretty standard on most phones while our MIUI devices could look almost like anything. This is especially true on the China Rom where the Themes store features many super inventive fans who have added features like additional sub menus and new taskbars like an iOS-like Control Center.

It would be awesome to see what you guys Xiaomi's Global fan base can come up with! So let's get to learning and creating and may the coolest home screen win!
=============================

Heehee seeing as how my comment got pinned I thought it might be fun to put my entry here.

So first thing's first I'm a Mi fan of function over form. That said let's look at my homescreen.

This game has proven how amazing MIUI is because I have it on my Mi MIX 3 which is a 2018 phone. Just so we're all on the same page this game came out at the end of last year and to this day players say you need the highest of high end phones to play this game. Otherwise it will overheat, drain the battery, lag or just crash. On my MIX 3 from long ago with its outdated SD845 and 6GB of RAM in an age where flagships come basic with 8GB of RAM? It runs like a charm! I can even record my youtube content with the screen recorder and I have my setting overclocked so I can have 60fps and high res renders. Battery does drain faster than I've ever seen on a Mi Phone but that's still 2 hours with these kinds of settings and while I'm recording. And on top of that it doesn't get hot at all.

Anyway the background is Liyue one of the major cities of this game. The characters I've placed are Zhongli, Mona, Hutao, Ganyu and Klee at the bottom with actually Ganyu's feet and ice swirl at the bottom to act as a base for the rest of the wallpaper. I had to crop Ganyu from her feet so I could push her down a little further to fit the other characters. Also I cut out the corners of the image to reflect our modern day phones with their rounder corners.

As for widgets I'm actually using ones found right from our Themes Store but I think you guys on Global won't be able to get them. The icons come from user 西山居 and it's based off a game 剑侠情缘 and the theme has the same name. The clock and music widget are from 星星的小宇宙 called 黑客联盟. Finally the only widget not from the Themes Store is my weather widget which actually comes with Amber Weather a great weather app.

So again I said function over form. Amber Weather's widget allows you to pick between several features you want to show on the widget. I prefer seeing the weekly weather with the main box to show current temperature, wind conditions and precipitation. But you can also toggle hourly by tapping on the weekly weather bar. Also you can get to settings right from the widget which lets you toggle locations, Celsius or Fahrenheit and this widget can actually let you open up your clock and calendar apps! So useful!

At the top I like keeping a clock widget but if you look carefully this is no ordinary clock widget. To its direct right is another weather feature and this one is linked to our MIUI's weather app. This way I have two sources for weather because you never know how inaccurate they might be. To its right is a step counter which these days isn't so useful but it is great to have when you're out for a walk or jog. Right of that is something even cooler an active compass feature and it links to our Compass app!

Underneath is my music player which you can see is from the same theme as the clock. And just like the clock this music player has plenty of features. the arrows let you skip tracks. The gray box in the middle plays lyrics from our music app's .lrc files and the little square on the left displays the song's album cover. Underneath that is a thin bar that looks like an equilizer animation but is actually a progress bar.

Here's what they look like without my wallpaper.

And if you guys are Genshin fans like me here's my wallpaper!

2021-03-17 08:48:25

Master Bunny

raimundis marquis | from Redmi Note 4

Thanks for sharing
2021-03-15 19:58:25
Excellent idea
2021-03-15 20:00:59
Excellent. I will try it for sure!
2021-03-15 20:05:33
Moderator | Photography
Mi Global Community
Entry 1