In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI ROM

[Other] MIUI 12.5 Ram Management Improving | Petition

2021-02-27 20:18:23
9426 28

Vote All Please,
Single Poll thread Total 656 Users Voted

98.48% (646)

1.52% (10)
Submit

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +2 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2021-02-27 20:18:23
Favorites16 RateRate

Banned

Turbosaki | from Mi 9T Pro

Voted
2021-02-28 00:46:13

Semi Pro Bunny

6270948840 Author | from app

Turbosaki
Voted

thanks 😌👍
2021-02-28 00:58:29

Semi Pro Bunny

6393954429 | from app

voted
2021-02-28 05:39:20

Master Bunny

Life on Mars | from Redmi Note 8 Pro

Voted
2021-02-28 06:30:32

Semi Pro Bunny

6270948840 Author | from app

please share my post
2021-03-01 03:55:54
MIUI 12 is incapable to retain even 4 apps open in 6GB RAM! In some cases closing for 13 seconds!

The RAM optimization is long overdue - once MIUI was one of the contributing factors when picking a phone - now I will stay as far away from it if I don't see the epic RAM fail fixed in the 12,5

Here are some absurd examples on my flagship MI8 with 6GB ram + MIUI 12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqJWtkfIZk
(below I also have examples that Mi11 with 8 GB has the same issue not fixed!)

It is almost always closing with priority the most heavy apps (games), which I actually use - without closing other lighter apps
When the OS wants to close some app there are ancient algorithms to give the correct way, instead of killing the most heavy app to free the most resource(like MIUI does) - like comparing how recently was the app used actively (not in background) to the size of it - and if it s a newly opened app, it should be given more priority to be kept working, and instead close 3-4 old /unused apps to free the needed resource.

If you need to close some app - close the one that was used a long time ago -and not the app I was using only 13 seconds ago - like the most extreme example in this video.
Especially - if I have marked some apps to NOT be closed (lockpad in the recent apps overview) or "no restrictions" in the battery saver app – these are the apps that should be closed LAST if some RAM is required - NOT FIRST!
Examples in the video. Instead MIUI blatantly ignores my commands to not close these apps.

But there are even more extreme examples, happening multiple times, on daily basis, which I did not record, as I cannot keep recording at all times.
Like just starting the photo app and open a picture - and to return to my game 5 seconds later to find it being closed in front of my eyes! And this is not a 1 time example – happens few times a week!

Stopping the internet/flight mode seems to allow MIUI to load more apps without closing them, so a slight improvement - but don't fix the problem.

I suspect in many cases the problem is not actually poor RAM management, but actually some overzealous MIUI OS process killing apps which from its perspective use up too much RAM / CPU / Data / power.
Eventually the problem is the target for MIUI is calibrated to ~4GB ram or lower - which is maybe very good of for cheap devices like the majority of Redmi phones, and this has made it one of the best UI for cheap phones - but is absolute failure for flagship phones with 6+ gigs of ram.

You have overkilled the optimizations, and they are now extremely counter-productive - especially if failed process is the battery saver - in the attempt to save power draining - it forces me to constantly re-open apps, and waste even more battery than it could ever save.

Furthermore - I think the app closing issue become even worse on MIUI 12compared to MIUI 11 (the gestures also got much worse).

Tech Nick (from whose channel I use the next examples) instead argues it is actually extremely poor RAM management from MIUI side.
They are done on MIUI 12, and I am not aware if this issue will be solved in MIUI 12,5.

I hope they are - but if not - despite still making the best value / price phones - your flagships are totally WORTHLESS for someone who can utilize the power of a flagship, especially gamers.

So here the failure of Mi11 to keep apps open with 8 GB ram - while the Mate 40PRO does it with his 8 GB. All of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=427&v=45xFSIpIo2g

The second one is vs the 6 BG iPhone - who keeps ALL apps open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=452&v=oXVGEJW_Cuc

Realme X2 is also keeping them with 8 GB - and this is your direct competitor in the price-value segment - if you don't fix your OS you will get overtaken.1+ 7T also does it with 8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=358&v=peZDfOu0D5A

As expected 1+ 8T is having no problem with 12GB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=415&v=acBcSDfyLR0

And if you say "just take the 12GB version" - the other one to go tothe wall of shame is Samsung S21 Ultra - killing apps with 12 GB ram, just like MIUI
It is not about memory size - it is about FAILED ALGORITHMS! even 6 is enough,8 is more than enough, 12 is totally unneeded for 20 apps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=422&v=_0yr3ho_114

In conclusion - I have "sold" to my friends more than 15 Redmi devices, and several Xiaomi flagships or POCO flagship killers - as Xiaomi is till offers the best value/money for the hardware.
But I'm close to power user, and I do not accept to be forced to keep only 1-2apps open like some entry-level phone due to such extreme software failure in the flagship segment - I will be forced to look elsewhere for my next phone.
As it is not only annoying - in some games it is FATAL as I have limited attempts at some events - and if your failure OS kills my game while I check something in another app for 10-30 seconds - you are ruining my event attempt by closing the game, and my attempt is counted as "failed".
2021-03-02 05:16:53

Advanced Bunny

Asnamus | from app

I have good news for all of us , looks like they did fix ram menagement &#128076;<br>
https://youtu.be/wnXkTapZxwc
2021-03-04 02:22:07
I think that a mobile device should not have many processes that run in the background and kill the battery. The controls are simple. If the user is not working in some application, it should be disabled.
2021-03-09 23:09:09
My Poco F2 Pro struggles with RAM despite having 6gb of it. Hope it impoves in 12.5.
2021-03-12 16:52:44

Advanced Bunny

1746385478 | from app

Bobby_gBG
MIUI 12 is incapable to retain even 4 apps open in 6GB RAM! In some cases closing for 13 seconds!

The RAM optimization is long overdue - once MIUI was one of the contributing factors when picking a phone - now I will stay as far away from it if I don't see the epic RAM fail fixed in the 12,5

Appreciate your efforts, I am also facing poor RAM Management issue on Xiaomi Phones.
2021-03-13 12:08:46