In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Off-topic

[Not only tech] Subscriptions - The Good, The Bad and The Bizarre

2021-01-19 23:00:00
372 16
Hi All,

It's getting harder and harder to buy something to actually own it, as more and more companies move into 'Recurring Revenue Model'

What Subscriptions do you think are worth your time and money, which are not and which ones just made you baffled when you heard about them first time?

Mine would have to be :

The Good : Xbox Game Pass Ultimate ( this is probably the one I'm getting the most use of at the most )
The Bad : any Insurance offered by Carphone Warehouse
The Bizarre : Barrel and Stone home - Pizza making kit subscription

Thanks,
Piotr

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2021-01-19 23:00:00
Favorites RateRate
Not overly keen on it myself, but yeah, a fact of 2021, especially in software. So to me it would be more, the acceptable, the nope, and the seriously? :P
Acceptable would be subscription for pro software. Thing is, if you buy it, you don't get updates past the year, and if you use it to work in an industry that moves fast, that means it's completely useless, so the ownership doesn't work. I do that with things like architectural software, so you might lose the access to the whole thing if you stop paying, but owning it would be redundant after a few months anyway.
The nope would be things like gaming subscriptions. I loathe the concept of multiplayer, and not keen on being spammed to death about games I'm not interested in. So I tend to make my own choice via early access/betas, and buy what works for me.
As for the baffling, the closest I got to was a cat litter offer... they sent you a tray filled with gravel, then picked it back up a fortnight later. Seriously guys, if you don't change your tray more than that, well...
2021-01-20 00:09:33

Mi Blogger

Welcomes Terrace Sin Author | from app

Torlyn
Not overly keen on it myself, but yeah, a fact of 2021, especially in software. So to me it would be more, the acceptable, the nope, and the seriously? :P
Acceptable would be subscription for pro software. Thing is, if you buy it, you don't get updates past the year, and if you use it to work in an industry that moves fast, that means it's completely useless, so the ownership doesn't work. I do that with things like architectural software, so you might lose the access to the whole thing if you stop paying, but owning it would be redundant after a few months anyway.
The nope would be things like gaming subscriptions. I loathe the concept of multiplayer, and not keen on being spammed to death about games I'm not interested in. So I tend to make my own choice via early access/betas, and buy what works for me.

my sister in law has Electronic Auto Cleaning Litter Tray for her Bengal and like your saying it comes with a subscription for catlitter "cartridges"
2021-01-20 00:14:54
HelloPiotr

Master Bunny

Evermore | from app

I am actually quite keen to try Geforce Now and similar platforms rather than constantly spending money to buy/upgrade your gaming station. Having a cloud gaming platform per subscription could be the way forward although games compatibility is still a bit of an issue at this point.
One subscription I have and love is the Simplycook, really easy dishes to make and quite varied. Although this doesn't really replace shopping (you pretty much have to buy all the ingredients) it's a really well thought subscription service especially for working couples.
Weird subscriptions are like sock subscriptions or gadget subscriptions where you get massively overcharged for things you could get really cheap on eBay 😂
2021-01-20 00:15:45

Mi Blogger

Welcomes Terrace Sin Author | from app

Evermore
I am actually quite keen to try Geforce Now and similar platforms rather than constantly spending money to buy/upgrade your gaming station. Having a cloud gaming platform per subscription could be the way forward although games compatibility is still a bit of an issue at this point.
One subscription I have and love is the Simplycook, really easy dishes to make and quite varied. Although this doesn't really replace shopping (you pretty much have to buy all the ingredients) it's a really well thought subscription service especially for working couples.
Weird subscriptions are like sock subscriptions or gadget subscriptions where you get massively overcharged for things you could get really cheap on eBay 😂

I need to say socks is something I haven't thought about. Than again I normally once a year do a purge of old ones and replace them with new ones.
2021-01-20 00:32:02
HelloPiotr
Welcomes Terrace Sin replied at 2021-01-19 16:14:54
my sister in law has Electronic Auto Cleaning Litter Tray for her Bengal and like your saying it comes with a subscription for catlitter "cartridges"

yeah, but that I kind of get, as you could just change the cartridge, in that case it's literally the whole tray that goes back, and you can only top it up with a tiny bit of extra litter if you remove stuff, rather grim :P
2021-01-20 00:37:44
Welcomes Terrace Sin replied at 2021-01-19 16:32:02
I need to say socks is something I haven't thought about. Than again I normally once a year do a purge of old ones and replace them with new ones.

I tried one for boxers, and let's just say, not only what turned up was NOT what was promised, but to boot it was more difficult to get rid of the subscription than kick an Apple habit :P
2021-01-20 00:38:50

Mi Blogger

Kenny_P | from app

quoteurl=home.php?mod=space&uid=1880036223Torlyn/url
/quote

I hate subscriptions, my genuine fear is that given enough time you will have separate subscriptions for Chanel 1-5 if you don't want ads but without it the ads are unbearable a la YouTube. the only sub I have is an Indian YouTube premium 189 rupees a month so about £2 that I can handle just to rid YouTube of Ads but it's sad to think all media will soon go the same way, hell even Channel 4 have 4 Plus service come on.  Death by a million micro transactions.

God I love xioami and it's cameras etc with no subscription (although I do support them with an annual mi cloud upgrade for storage)
2021-01-20 03:21:49

Mi Blogger

Kenny_P | from app

Evermore

I have Stadia and have to say, besides the game library the now still maturing, it works. despite what others moan about, it's not a gaming rig so don't expect 120fps and raytracing yet but at £89 (usually cheaper in a sale) you get a chrome cast ultra, stadia WiFi controller (no Bluetooth as the controller connects to the stadia instance on the server) but you buy a game you want to play, no need to have a subscription and it's yours to play when you want on any chrome browser anywhere.
if you want you can pay £8.99 a month and get a few games each month (you loose then unless you continue the sub or just buy them outright then you can play as above without the sub) but even on WiFi on a crappy 30mbps connection 1080p gaming is brilliant I have no hardware cost to upgrade in the future since it's all on Google's server side, they can upgrade the blades as needed not me and it ran cyberpunk fine unlike £400 consoles. So even if I buy a few games I want outright over a 2 year period I'm still cheaper than buying a nex gen console + games.
BTW anyone wanting to try stadia, you can sign up, no hardware or subscription needed, play on your pc with any Bluetooth controller connected or mibox (if you side load stadia) and use an Xbox controller or ps controller over Bluetooth. free for a month worth trying it.
2021-01-20 03:28:45

Master Bunny

Evermore | from app

Kenny_P
I have Stadia and have to say, besides the game library the now still maturing, it works. despite what others moan about, it's not a gaming rig so don't expect 120fps and raytracing yet but at £89 (usually cheaper in a sale) you get a chrome cast ultra, stadia WiFi controller (no Bluetooth as the controller connects to the stadia instance on the server) but you buy a game you want to play, no need to have a subscription and it's yours to play when you want on any chrome browser anywhere.
if you want you can pay £8.99 a month and get a few games each month (you loose then unless you continue the sub or just buy them outright then you can play as above without the sub) but even on WiFi on a crappy 30mbps connection 1080p gaming is brilliant I have no hardware cost to upgrade in the future since it's all on Google's server side, they can upgrade the blades as needed not me and it ran cyberpunk fine unlike £400 consoles. So even if I buy a few games I want outright over a 2 year period I'm still cheaper than buying a nex gen console + games.
BTW anyone wanting to try stadia, you can sign up, no hardware or subscription needed, play on your pc with any Bluetooth controller connected or mibox (if you side load stadia) and use an Xbox controller or ps controller over Bluetooth. free for a month worth trying it.

Yeah I had a look at Stadia, the thing that pulled me more towards Geforce Now is the fact that you play the games you already own on Steam, Uplay, etc. The list is growing but there is still quite a few games that I would love to see there before I jump in (RDR2 I'm eyeing you 😂). But in general the idea that you can even play anywhere on the go with a lightweight laptop entices me a lot!
2021-01-20 04:01:58

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

Evermore
Yeah I had a look at Stadia, the thing that pulled me more towards Geforce Now is the fact that you play the games you already own on Steam, Uplay, etc. The list is growing but there is still quite a few games that I would love to see there before I jump in (RDR2 I'm eyeing you 😂). But in general the idea that you can even play anywhere on the go with a lightweight laptop entices me a lot!

Have to say,even on a serious gaming rig, RDR2 is buggy as anything on PC, and when you get force crashes on a game that then forces you to play through the same ten minutes sequence just to have a chance to force crash again, I can see the point of a well optimised sub service
2021-01-20 04:11:18