In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi Gadgets

[Q&A] Mi TV Stick wifi and chromecast issue.

2021-01-15 14:17:40
738 6
Mi TV Stick wifi and chromecast issue.

Yesterday I purchased a Xiaomi Mi TV Stick. The device for this price is not bad, but the lack of a USB, for example to upload the software or save from bootloop, is a huge minus. This is not the biggest problem. The device itself works even smoothly, until I'm surprised, unfortunately not everything works as it should.

I have the following problems:
  • I have a 2.4GHz and 5GHz router - separate SSID, Other devices work without problems on both bands, even 2 rooms away. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the Xiaomi TV Stick is about 10-15cm away from the Router, it does not see the 5GHz network. I restarted the Mi TV Stick, waited 10 minutes, tried to manually enter the network and no positive result. He still does not see the 5GHz network. Restarted the roueter - it didn't help. I did a factory reset of the Mi TV stick - it also did not help, and the device got stuck and I could not pair the remote control where 2 buttons are pressed at once. I could do this for 20 minutes and nothing. Another Factory reset helped. Niesety still does not see the 5GHz network. I don't want to mess with my router's settings as it's not my router. It is a great misconception that new equipment with such a specification does not provide 5GHz wifi, where it is currently the standard !! Many people from what I can see have this problem and Xiaomi is silent. After all, it is the basis for fixing bugs and quickly reacting to problems. However, this device does not cost $ 1 .... How to fix 5GHz wifi?
  • I have Xiaomi phones - Redmi Note 8, Redmi Note 8 Pro and Mi Note 10. The distance from the Mi TV Stick is 1-3 meters (no difference to what is happening in the picture). I connect the phone in the phone settings to the mi stick using Chromecast in Mi STICK. Scrolling desktops, photos goes normally. Works reasonably smooth. However, there is a huge problem with the video from phones on Mi TV STICK. There is a 10-second image lag compared to what's happening on the phone, but that's not the worst. The picture on the TV is not smooth, this is just to say the least, it is very slow, tears and there are huge lags and lags, it goes smoothly on the phone. The effect is that you can't just watch it. The best thing is that I have another Chinese Box TV at home, much cheaper and there is no problem at all, everything goes very smoothly, no movie tearing, no filming, etc. I tried on every phone. I turned off other devices and approached the box itself. No improvement.

Now I have some questions about this MI TV Stick:

• After connecting the device and configuration, the system update appeared. My question whether to update? Will there be any new bugs? For example, will the device not turn off, restart or close the application? Because I read that many people had something like that. Is it the fault of the update? Just this one? Two, is there a degradation in system performance and liquidity after the upgrade? Now it's ok. Have you fixed the problem with the chromecast and 5GHz wifi, because I can only see the audio description ...... Do you advise to update it or not? Is there any chance that something will go back to the previous software?
  • Application updates popped up. Update? Doesn't it muddy the device? So far I turned off the automatic update ...
  • My question, how to install the applications: Google Maps, Total Commander, Ipla, ShareMe, Xiaomi Weather, Xiaomi FileManager, Xiaomi Home? I know that with apk, I installed a web browser and some file manager. I went to PureAPK and APK mirror but unfortunately Puffin Browser does not support Download. How to transfer these apk to Mi TV Stick and install them?

Summary.

The device is not expensive, but it is not cheap either. Yesterday I was wondering whether I should return the device and collect money for it. I bought it in an authorized Xiaomi store, online. Initially, I had a nice impression of the appearance and fluidity, at least the one for the start, because it will probably change later, because the device has not enough rom. However, what surprised me, upset and disappointed me, that such a modern device that has the 5GHz wifi specification cannot in any way search for 5GHz wifi and connect to it at a distance of 10-15cm from the router or even lying on it. This alone disqualifies the device from being recommended and purchased for me, and Xiaomi's lack of reaction in this direction is simply astonishing and discourages me from buying. And the device is not cheap enough to forgive it. Two for the chromecast to be so hopeless as well, I did not expect, especially since, as I mentioned, I have a much cheaper non-branded Chinese box and it works without a problem. Another thing is the lack of a usb, what is this invention these days? After all, in these times, multimedia is the basis, and saving the device is difficult.
Another thing, many people have complained that after the update, the device slowed down very much, freezes, reboots and shuts down. That applications are shutting down (FC) or restarting that there are system liquidity problems. Well, I read about some problems, despite the range of good wifi and connection to the router, there is no internet. It's this update what I got? Was this problem in another update but is resolved in the next ones ....

Also a request to you, please tell me how to connect to 5GHz wifi, how to fix the chromecast and whether to update the system. The update is downloaded and ready to install. Otherwise, if the problem is not solved, I will return the device and recover the money. Because at such a price, such mistakes are unforgivable, the more that Xiaomi does nothing in this direction and has no support at all ...

2021-01-15 14:17:40
Favorites RateRate

Rookie Bunny

MsOmotola | from Mi 9T

I updated and my device is currently unusable. It was better before the update. I tried returning it to the vendor but they mentioned warranty is for 2 weeks. The earlier you return it the better so you can recover your funds. The stick was a good idea but has so many troubleshoot issues that seems cannot be fixed
2021-01-15 14:37:44

Mi Tech Team

Łukasz Author |

MsOmotola odpowiada, dnia 2021-01-15 07:37:44
I updated and my device is currently unusable. It was better before the update. I tried returning it to the vendor but they mentioned warranty is for 2 weeks. The earlier you return it the better so you can recover your funds. The stick was a good idea but has so many troubleshoot issues that seems cannot be fixed

Thanks for answer. Its same update? Its really one update from start selling this Stick? Before update You have issue with not find 5GHz Wifi and with Chromecast laggy?
Update is on A10 or still on A9?
2021-01-15 15:02:05

Rookie Bunny

MsOmotola | from Mi 9T

Yes same update, just one update. I didn't notice the WIFI situation. I did the update almost immediately I got it and it started malfunctioning since then
2021-01-15 15:18:46
did you try to restore factory settings
2021-01-16 13:08:29

Mi Tech Team

Łukasz Author | from app

Yes, i do factory reset and still not find 5Ghz wifi, still chromecast have issue with video.
Yesterday i do update, still not see wifi 5Ghz.
2021-01-16 14:41:36
I haven't tried this app because my friend said it doesn't work well. After two months of trying, I managed to get bt sport on chromecast. I'm a big fan of basketball, so I don't miss a single sports match. Chromecast is exactly what I need, because this device is used to show shows on the TV screen. I gained access to BT's extensive list of sports channels by paying an extra couple of pounds for my current BT TV subscription. I think this low fee is worth it. Fortunately, BT Sport is one of the most compatible chromecast programs available in the app store.
2021-02-15 21:07:25