In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 10T/Pro

[Other] [Battle Of Minds #6] Is 5G Going To Replace Broadband Internet In Future? Let's Debate!

2021-01-12 14:13:15
12790 104

Hello MIUI Users,

Millions of people in developed countries still don’t have access to broadband, despite years of effort and huge amounts of money being spent to connect remote areas. Countries have explored many ways to expand and upgrade their cable networks in order to deliver fast internet to everyone. But with fifth-generation (5G) mobile technology which is offering super-fast internet speeds without the need for a fixed-line connection, could we expect a fast internet without cables someday?

A 5G network supports ultra-high-speed data rates of up to 10 Gbps, low latency or delay and can cope with up to a million devices per square kilometre. In fact, 5G can let you smoothly play multiple HD videos, make 3D hologram phone calls, access virtual reality apps and enable driverless cars to communicate with each other and traffic infrastructure.

The basic difference between the 5G and Broadband is the range of connectivity. Wherever 5G towers are, 5G connectivity will be available. But with broadband connections, they are available within a tiny and limited area so you can’t depend on them if you are travelling. Broadband connections are good for people who are doing most of their work sitting from their homes or offices. But if you are travelling a lot and need high-speed internet, 5G would be an ideal option.

So while people can get both the connections, will broadband really be necessary when 5G can provide high-speed internet anyway? Many would argue that since the broadband internet connection is cabled, there would be lesser network congestion. Thus it would be more reliable for achieving a stable internet experience.
But 5G is also going to do the same thing. For the unaware, 5G will be built using a very high-frequency spectrum and high bandwidth, which would mean that there would be much lesser network congestion than what users see with 4G. More and more people can use 5G in the same area, and there should be no dramatic effect on the speed that a user is getting.

There is always a challenge for mobile networks is guaranteeing a reliable service for customers because their signals can be affected by several factors such as distance from the transmitter, obstacles and interference from other devices. This is a major concern for businesses and people who often work from home.

Share Your Views and Participate in the Debate

Image Sources: Google
End Time: 2021-02-11 14:07:00

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +15 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2021-01-12 14:13:15
Favorites44 RateRate

Pro Bunny

sastraMR | from app

5G id accessible everywhere
2021-01-12 14:38:59
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #2
I support 5G
2021-01-12 14:40:59

Grand Master Bunny

LazyNinja | from Mi 9T Pro

No, i don't think so..
2021-01-12 14:41:48

Rookie Bunny

6392780790 | from Redmi Note 8

i supported 5g
2021-01-12 14:43:41

Master Bunny

Leonitis | from Redmi Note 9 Pro

If they can provide speeds like NBN ,then maybe I would like 5G , but for now I will stick with my NBN , plus 5G is new and still not everywhere and not cheap.just my opinion.
2021-01-12 14:54:23

TechLab Team

edcolby | from app

there will definitely be a new technology for broadband which is much faster than 5G☺️,
At first it was only copper broadband, now we have a. much faster fibre broadband which is better than most of the 4g networks. An upgrade will come soon too.
2021-01-12 15:13:47

Intern Moderator

DaMgaSea | from app

I support 5G
2021-01-12 15:24:03

Intern Moderator

DaMgaSea | from app

I support 5G
2021-01-12 15:24:49

Semi Pro Bunny

RagiL123 | from app

I support 5G