In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8/SE/EE/Lite/Pro

[Q&A] Buying Mi 8 in 2020 a good choice?

2020-09-26 20:08:13
387 5
Good day,

I'm considering buying Mi 8 which is in a great special at the moment in South Africa, I've checked a few reviews I believe it's a good phone and I've heard that it has great camera.

I'm only worried about software support, is true that MIUI is the last software update for the phone? Meaning it won't receive MIUI 13 and other MIUI updates in future?

Is buying Mi 8 in 2020 still a good choice? Please advise. Thank you very much.
2020-09-26 20:08:13
Favorites RateRate

Master Bunny

GeneralReDMi | from Redmi 7

Depend on you. Even the old flagship Mi 8
2020-09-26 21:41:03

Master Bunny

klappasaki | from Mi 9T Pro

Thanks for sharing your highly appreciated question with the MiCommunity, mate. Mi 8 is definitely a good good device for the price, however: Lately released phones shall receive more future updates than a phone released with Android 9, right? With Android 11 on our doorsteps, buying a phone which was released with Android 8.1, it is on its last update stage, hence, doesn't provide many (if any) future updates. Furthermore, MIUI12 is its last MIUI update it will get... Just my 2 cents, mate.
2020-09-27 09:08:54
As klappasaki said above, Mi 8 doesn't have much future in terms of software updates. It would probably get further MIUI updates, but you cannot expect any major Android updates. If you are someone who doesn't change your device for 2-3 years, I would suggest you to check out the latest 2020 devices. POCO X3 is a good all rounder for a very good price (if it's available in your region).

Cheers! :-)
2020-09-27 09:16:03
Device ModeratorMi Global Community
POCO F1 | Mi MIX 3 | Mi 8 | Redmi Note 9/S/Pro | Redmi 9 series

Master Bunny

klappasaki | from Mi 9T Pro

quoteurl=home.php?mod=space&uid=1781162257happybuddhist/url
As klappasaki said above, Mi 8 doesn't have much future in terms of software updates. It would probably get further MIUI updates, but you cannot expect any major Android updates. If you are someone who doesn't change your device for 2-3 years, I would suggest you to check out the latest 2020 devices. POCO X3 is a good all rounder for a very good price (if it's available in your region).

Cheers! :-)/quote

Thanks for sharing your highly appreciated feedback, bhai 🙏. The Mi 8 is definitely a good device. However, its 128/6 GB Variant cost around 500.- U$ on ebay. For that kind of money plus a couple of more bucks, the brand new flagship killer Mi 10 T Pro is available soonest. Hopefully, the OP makes the right decision. Here is a MiCommunity article about the beformentionened Mi 10 T Pro for kind reference: Get Ready to Meet the Inspirational Mi 10T Series!  https://c.mi.com/thread-3346473-1-0.html
2020-09-28 00:24:22
if you could pay it 100 U$ in perfect conditions and maybe you want to change battery with a new one it is a good choice for camera , general smoothness and display super amoled
2020-09-29 16:45:43
DarkAlone