In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Other Products

[Tips] [MIUI Tips And Tricks #17] Don't Do This If Your Phone Falls Inside Water

2020-09-13 17:02:02
315 14

It's September, and the rains are back.

If you get beaten by the rain, you sun dry your clothes, right? Yeah.
If your smartphone suffers same fate, you sun dry it too, right? Nope!

This is supposed to be common knowledge now, but I still see people making numerous mistakes when their phones come in contact with water.

So, you are in the bathroom, humming to music from your phone when all of a sudden, your phone decides to take a dive.

Now you're frantic, panicking, the price of the phone is flashing before your eyes. You sprint out of the bathroom not minding that there's soap in your right ear, and pause!!

Before you think of doing whatever you're planning right now, make sure you don't do the following:

• Do NOT sun dry the phone, it doesn't work well and excess heat will cause more damage to the phone.
  • Don't try to turn on the phone.
  • Don't dismantle the phone on your own if you don't have the required skills.
  • Don't plug in the phone.
  • Don't
  • Don't
  • Don't

Relax, be calm, it's not the end of the road (or your phone), there are better ways to handle this.

You're probably thinking, "what then should I do if I can't do anything to the phone?", well you can do something though.

When your smartphone goes swimming, you should first take it out and dry it with a soft towel, that will clean up excess water and reduce further damage.

Then you can proceed to do any of the following:

1. Take the phone to a "reputable" engineer.

There's a reason I laid emphasis on the 'reputable'.
Do not take your phone to every Baba Kazzeem or Papa Emeka in your area to fix when it develops serious issues like this one.

Look for a solid technician or engineer in your vicinity, they are usually expensive, but hey! Your phone is expensive too, don't cheapen the experience or capability by patronising quacks.

The technician will take out the phone as quickly and gently as possible, then dry up the water from the individual components in the safest way possible.

He may also do some little servicing to ensure none of the components get corroded in future as a result of the water.

This is like the best solution.

But if there are no reputable engineers in your vicinity, there are other options.

2. Use Silica Gels

Whenever you buy a new cloth, you most likely find these in the package and...... You throw them out.
If you've been throwing them out, stop.
Start gathering them, they are very useful. They can be used for many important things like getting rid of odour from your shoes and bringing your water damaged phone back to life.

After drying out your phone with a towel, you should gather these silica gels (sizeable amount) in a container or plastic bag and soak your phone inside.
Cover the container or bag for a period of three days, and you will meet your phone all dried and back to life after the third day.

It may feel difficult to stay without your smartphone for that long, but remember that if it gets permanently damaged, you will be without a smartphone for longer than three days before you can get another.

3. Use Rice

Just to be clear, when I say 'rice', I mean this rice.

And not this rice.

Rice works in the same way as Silica Gels.
Dip your phone inside a bag or container of raw rice and leave it there for 3-4 days.

Difficult solution I know, but worth it if you look at the bigger picture.

Water and electronics are not friends, one wrong move will render your smartphone permanently damaged.
With the right steps though, your phone will survive the damage and live longer.

I sincerely hope you find these tips helpful.

Let me know what you think in the comment section.