In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8/SE/EE/Lite/Pro

[Q&A] Soft-bricked locked MI 8

2020-08-20 05:53:58
228 2
Hi all helpers,

I un-locked my Chinese Version Mi 8 when I got it in 2018 - and then did nothing els but regular updates. Now I got an error message from a security sensitive banking app I wnated to install that the bootloader needs to be locked. So I locked it with this https://c.mi.com/thread-1785641-1-0.html description using SDK platform command "fastboot oem lock". Now the device does not boot, error message from MI Recovery "The MIUI version cannot be installed on this device". MI Flash unlock does not work. I can connect with MiFlashPro but cannot flash  due to the lock. Is there any way to re-boot the device? I am a novice, would need some detailed guidance. Could not find anything on the net, video tutorials etc. that would work.

Many thanks for advice!

2020-08-20 05:53:58
Favorites RateRate
Which ROM version did you have in your Mi8 when you re-locked the bootloader?
2020-08-20 09:26:29
Device ModeratorMi Global Community
POCO F1 | Mi MIX 3 | Mi 8 | Redmi Note 9/S/Pro

Advanced Bunny

eMDżej | from MI 8

As far as I know Xiaomi did an ugly thing and made it impossible to lock phones with different ROM. A lot of people complained about it. So if You got chinese phone and locked it with global ROM, You propably didn't do any mistake on the way... apart from trying to do this 🙂 This is how xiaomi wanted to prevent from people buying cheaper phones in CN instead of more expencive ones in their own countries
2020-08-25 14:53:58