In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Lifestyle

[Other] Mi TV Stick - This is a Stick Up!

2020-07-28 21:17:15
485 13

Hi All,

I recently got one of the new Mi TV Sticks, so wanted to give you a (very) quick run down of my thoughts.

These are currently only available via import methods, and I have no idea as to whether they will ever be officially released, so please bear this in mind.

Who is the Mi TV Stick for?
The look and feel of this device means that it's certainly something that has mass appeal, not just for Mi Fans, geeks or early adopters. It runs Android TV, meaning that the range of apps and services isn't limited, like you'd find on the Amazon Fire TV or Now TV Sticks.
I've got a number of the Fire TV Sticks, and while I certainly think they are great devices, I always get the feeling that they are trying to get me to spend more money with Amazon. Too many adverts, free content can sometimes be a little difficult to find, they just niggle me a little bit.

Remote Controller

The remote operates via Bluetooth, and is sturdy to hold. The Google Assistant button sits above the navigation circle, below that are buttons to select app, go back and go to the home screen. There are dedicated buttons for Netflix & Amazon Prime Video, as well as volume up/down.
The design of the remote will be pretty familiar to anyone who's used a certain jungle-based TV stick...

Pros
Well constructed, easy to use, simple to set up, great variety of apps. Not tied to a particular broadcaster's content so it's a sensible choice if you have a wide variety of subscriptions or services.

Cons
I wasn't able to set the UK as my location, so I couldn't get BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub was available but wouldn't work.
The TV Player and My 5 apps worked though. Fingers' crossed we'll see this released officially in the future so this problem will go away!

Ok, I did tell you it was going to be a brief run down, I'd definitely say this is a device worth considering if you are looking for a TV Stick that isn't designed to get you to spend money with a certain global mega-corp!

Please let me know your questions below!

2020-07-28 21:17:15
Favorites4 RateRate
Thanks for writing it up.

Do you know if Microsoft XCloud works on it ??
2020-07-28 21:44:34
HelloPiotr

Techie Team

N30MVR44 | from app

yet you pay for all of those apps 😜 what I'd like to know is can you install third party apks ?
2020-07-28 22:57:30

Rookie Bunny

Tituksss | from app

Soooo cool✨
2020-07-29 01:21:44

GunplaMad | from app

Great review with honest break out my friend...
It is pretty much Android TV but on a Xiaomi device.
Who wants BBC anyway 🤣
As long as I have stream services like Netflix I'm good.
What I will say is Android TV is lacking some what on apps and I think it's the problem with Processing and a universal standard. I wish Android TV would just make the jump to making a standard processor to live stream Android apps on Google Accounts giving us all unlimited capabilities in our TV's. Say you can port some Android mobile apps but it will work for you with many cons....
2020-07-29 03:11:49

Techie Team

N30MVR44 | from app

I have a 4k android TV box not Xiaomi tho 😢 I'd prefer a box to the stick but if I can run my specific app I'll be getting a few if the 4k boxes don't make it here I don't use Kodi as it's far to too unstable just a once year streaming service with both mobile and android TV apps so if you can run those 👍
2020-07-29 06:20:35

Techie Team

N30MVR44 | from app

great article too btw thx
2020-07-29 06:21:09

R/O

1653413590 | from app

Thanks
2020-07-29 19:13:31

Super moderator

Sudd1976 | from app

At last a replacement for my Mitv box mini, it has ldine me well over the last few years.
2020-07-29 23:14:53

SirLukas Author | from app

N30MVR44
yet you pay for all of those apps 😜 what I'd like to know is can you install third party apks ?

I'll have to look into that. Maybe you can somehow send apps to the device over Bluetooth..?
I have vague memories of doing something similar to an early F*re St*ck but I'm not a big modder :'-)
2020-07-30 02:14:11
SirLukas

Semi Pro Bunny

1895131133 | from app

is it a good replacement for Chrome cast?
2020-08-04 02:19:34