In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 8/Pro/8T

[Discussion] [Device Tech Bytes #11] App Lags or Hangs: Here Are Tips To Make Your Phone Faster!

2020-07-27 05:49:05
7886 85

Greetings Mi Fans… I’m back…

Welcome to Device Tech Bytes! This is a part of a New Series to help you guys know more about the tech inside your smartphone. Every week you will see new episodes that tackle New Tech and Development that revolves around smart devices. Episode for the day is “App Lags or Hangs: Here Are Tips To Make Your Phone Faster!

Why is my App Lags, Hangs, Force Close, and worst it won’t run? Why am I getting an insufficient storage error?
This is a problem with improper RAM Management and will make your phone process slow.
What is RAM?
RAM (Random Access Memory)is short-term digital storage. Computers (and yes, your phone is a computer)use RAM mostly to hold data that active applications — along with the CPU and operating system's kernel — are using because RAM is very fast when it comes to reading and writing.
It all sounds complicated, and it is, but all you need to understand are three basic things: RAM is a place to hold data for a short period of time, data placed there can be read or written very fast, and data in RAM is erased when you shut your phone down. Additionally, a portion of the RAM in your phone is used as soon as you turn it back on and no apps or even the OS is able to use that portion. This goes for just about any computer; they (almost) all have RAM and they use it the same way.

Why RAM matters on a smartphone?
  • RAM is a super-fast type of memory that stores the apps you've opened since you turned on your phone.
  • That memory lets you return to an app you've previously used and picked up right where you left off, without delay.
  • Without RAM, apps would close themselves when you switch to another app, causing delays when you revisit one you've previously used.
  • The more RAM your phone has, the more apps it can store for quick access,     which results in an overall feeling of your phone working faster.
Source: Antonio Villas-Boas/Business Insider - Link

Here's how RAM works and what it does in your smartphone
  • You can think of RAM as your pocket and your phone's main storage as your backpack. It's much faster to pull something out of your pocket than it is to pull something out from your backpack.
  • When you turn on your phone,     and open an app for the first time, your phone pulls the operating system     (OS) and app's data from your phone's slower main storage and stores the bulk of that OS and app data in your phone's faster RAM so you can use different elements and features of the OS and app quickly.
  • When you return to an app you used a while ago, it'll open right where you left off as if you never even left the app because it's been stored in your phone's RAM.     Essentially, apps you used are kept running in the background while you use other apps.
  • Your phone's main slower storage could potentially keep your OS and used apps running in the background, but it's much, much slower than RAM. Your phone could have the fastest chip in the world and it would still feel slow without RAM.
Source: Hollis Johnson/Business Insider - Link

How much memory do apps use?

Here is a list of three different categories of apps. “Standard” apps use between 130MB and 400MB of RAM. There are apps like YouTube and WhatsApp, as well as games like Crossy Road and Candy Crush. Then there are the“media-intensive” apps, which load lots of images and therefore use more memory to show them. Here you will find titles like Google Photos and Instagram. These apps use between 400MB and 700MB of RAM. Finally, there are the “huge” apps, predominantly high-end games that can eat through RAM like a hungry Pac-Man.Games like Need for Speed: No Limits or PUBG Mobile can use between 800MB and1152MB. Chrome is also in this category (with 3 tabs open).
The amount of RAM being used on your device depends entirely on which apps you have running. If you like Instagram and Candy Crush, but not much else, then you will be using just over 1GB of RAM. If you switch between PUBG and Asphalt 9 all day long, you’ll need 2GB, and so on.

Nowhere are some steps in dealing with Lags…

1. Problem Identification
What is causing the problem? Is it an App, Multiple Apps, or System Apps?
You can run Security App on your phone and see what app is running on background and eating up precious resources, like RAM, Internal Storage, and Battery Charge.

Once you identify the problem, then let’s start optimizing and fix the issue.

2. Free up your Storage
The good thing about Xiaomi Phones, it is equipped with Apps that scans and diagnose storage capacity and suggests actions that can be performed. Run Cleaner App to dispose of Cached Files, Obsolete Files, Installer Packages, and Residuals from Appinstallers, and Temporary Memory Data.
This file accumulates data and in time will occupy most of your data storage.
Clearing Cache from individual Apps will also help in reducing the number of unwanted files in your storage. This data cache is used to speed up operations but only effective up to a point. If you are running out of space this can actually be counter-productive.
Bloatware’s are pre-installed apps on your unit, if you will not be using these apps, the option is either delete them or disable them. This will free up more space.

3. Widgets?
Yes, they do look good on your home page, but having a lot of them to the point of having one page dedicated to widgets is overkill. The tip is just to use what is necessary.

4. Animations? Really?
It may look great but this also slows down your world, yes it does. Not that I hate animations but the trick is you can customize some of this animations to move quickly or totally shut it off.

5. Close Apps and Free up RAM
Close apps that you don't need running on the background when shifting to another app, leaving it running will take up resources and will tend to slow down your work. By closing the app this will free up more RAM.

6. Task Killers and 3rd party Cleaners
It may seem to be a good idea, but it’s not. Xiaomi devices already manage RAM thru MIUI and android OS optimization updates. And these Apps are already pre-installed in your unit.

7. Restart your device
The very basic fix of all is just to restart your phone… No need for more explanation… Nada… Need a how-to? Nah… You got this…

8. Update your Apps and Firmware
This is one of the most FAQ-U in Smartphone history. Generally, Updates may contain the following, Feature/s, UI improvements, Security Updates, and the most important one isBug-Fixes and Optimizing Performance that will speed up your smartphone experience.

9. Factory Reset
This will decide the faith of your phone when everything is slow and close to having a stroke, this is the last resort, make sure to backup all important files before performing the heart-pounding factory reset.
Well, the good thing about a factory reset is your phone system will be restored to the condition the manufacturer shipped it in. When you first powered on your unit, and play with the settings, installed your first App and days of no worries until the day comes again that you scratch your head and scream what happen…

That’s all for now…
Thanks to the Admins and Moderators for this great opportunity
See you again soon with a new topic

Checkout PreviousTech Bytes

Rate

Number of participants 6 Experience +43 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-07-27 05:49:05
Favorites54 RateRate
Good tips. One particular option I didn't know is the 'Remove animations'.
2020-07-28 09:47:16

Device Team

CooCkie Author | from Redmi Note 8 Pro

Collive
Good tips. One particular option I didn't know is the 'Remove animations'.

Remove animations option is for MIUI 12 Update but there is an option in Developers Option that you can Set to Off or Speed up UI animations...
2020-07-28 10:02:54
CooCkie replied at 2020-07-28 10:02:54
Remove animations option is for MIUI 12 Update but there is an option in Developers Option that you can Set to Off or Speed up UI animations...

This option is on Redmi Note 8 MIUI 11 as well. Yup I'm aware of the option in 'Developers Option', I always turn them off or put em at .5
2020-07-28 12:21:51
Ok... But I met many people (advanced Android users) that claims Android works better when it has something to do, like running background apps… I don't mean those heavy crap like Facebook app or other similar… that's why I rarely kill background apps and prefer to disable notifications for those not so important...
2020-07-28 14:22:40

Device Team

CooCkie Author | from Redmi Note 8 Pro

Sameth93
Ok... But I met many people (advanced Android users) that claims Android works better when it has something to do, like running background apps… I don't mean those heavy crap like Facebook app or other similar… that's why I rarely kill background apps and prefer to disable notifications for those not so important...

Yes, that is one way of saving battery and RAM activity, RAM partly saves Apps Data to make them accessible at all times, this means more Apps less RAM and most users always complain of low RAM storage...
2020-07-28 14:38:12

Super moderator

AP1972 | from Mi 10

Thanks for sharing
2020-07-29 11:15:07

Wizard Bunny

BeingBishal | from Mi 9T Pro

Helpful Tips!
2020-07-29 11:16:42

Master Bunny

1785931863 | from Redmi Note 4

Helpful