In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi Band Series

[Review] Mi Smart Band 5 Got Features Beefed Up, Bigger Display And Smarter

2020-07-18 13:34:04
2083 23

The hype for Mi Smart Band 5 is real and it's finally here, launched yesterday, July 15 along with other Xiaomi Ecosystem Products. To summarize the launch, Xiaomi has added more exciting features, related to health wellbeing. In light of that, all these functions make the Mi Smart Band 5 a thoughtful, personal health assistant on your wrist.

The most distinct upgrade after doing unboxing is the glance of the display is really dynamic and noticeably bigger, pleasant to see, let's not forget, the first impression leaves a lot of credibility in a gadget. For the Unboxing, you can checkout here: Mi Smart Band 5 Hands-On Unboxing - A Closer Look and to know more of the upgrade and features comparable with its predecessor, here's Mi Smart Band 5 Versus Mi Smart Band 4. At a glance they look similar, yet they are different, the display has been expanded to 20% bigger compared to Mi Smart Band 4, that is to 1.1" AMOLED dynamic display, 126*294 resolution, 16 bit color depth with adjustable 5 level of brightness of more than 450 nit, and the most remarkable point here is it supports dynamic home screen display, first Xiaomi wearable to support the feature. It also comes with a 2.5D tempered glass and AF coating that protects the screen from scratches and abrasions.

Meaning, within the main home screen you could tap the step display to see more steps details, like distances, calories burnt and etc. or simply tap the heart beat display to activate the manual measuring, all right from the home screen, without having to swipe up, down or left.

As you play around and swipe down the screen, you will notice more amazing features that will fascinate the beholder. You might wonder, what's the upgrade I am getting as a user of the previous band series, to make it fair, I am going to make the benchmark as the Mi Smart Band 4, "the best selling wearable band" for this review.

This round Mi Smart Band 5 have focused on better monitoring health factors and well-being and a most elaborated workout fitness tracking fine tuned to track elliptical to yoga which is incredible. In fact it introduced 5 additional workout tracking, that is, indoor cycling, elliptical, jump rope, yoga, rowing machine on top of the 6 sport modes available on its predecessor, like outdoor running, walking, cycling, indoor running, swimming and exercise. To make the tracking possible, it uses a high precision 6-axis sensor a combination of low power-consumption 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis gyroscope and PPG heart rate sensor.

As the theme says, "Get smart, live more", Mi Smart Band 5 features 24/7 heart rate monitoring with 50% more accurate PPG sensor than its predecessor. With this it can redefine the additional essential features like PAI, Stress algorithm, Breathing training, interactive Women health segment to manage and forecast their menstruation and managing our Sleeping quality. All these contribute to a healthy lifestyle and knowing our body comprehensively at the very least.

In modern life, many people face sub-optimal health issues. The Mi Smart Band 5 has a built-in PAI Activity Index, which allows you to calculate the levels of your heart rate using a specific algorithm and can provide users with helpful information to aid in exercises and workouts. To know more: Path To Healthy Life - Mi Smart Band 5 Reloaded With PAI Health

Mi Smart Band 5 offers unique health tracking functions, like Stress monitoring function that can advise wearers when they should consider to adjust their breathing through Breathing training function or try to rest and relax. Both these functions make the Mi Smart Band 5 a thoughtful, personal health assistant on your wrist. To know more: Stress Management With Mi Smart Band 5

Mi Smart Band 5 comes with Breathing training feature which helps with stress management to relax with breathing exercises.

More features come with the 5th generation, one of the most prominent features targeted for women is the health tool, that include menstrual cycle and ovulation monitoring, menstruation prediction and storing the past history of their menstruation conditions via interactive inputs. To read more: Enable Women Health features - Mi Smart Band 5.

How do you feel today? Well, I felt energetic after a well balanced sleep. Sleep determines your day, there is time you feel tired, cranky or terrible. Using Mi Smart Band 5 which is equipped with a combination of sensors, accelerometer, gyroscope, PPG heart rate sensor does all the tracking and monitoring to furnish you with the necessary data on your Mi Fit, Xiaomi Wear or Amazfit app. The band will estimate how much time you spend in light, deep, and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Each of these stages of sleep will be detected and recorded on the Mi Fit app and help identify and address the sleep issues you might have. And Mi Smart Band 5, keep track of your Naps of anything more than 20 mins, which is necessary to get energised. Great right? To know more: Knowing The Stages And Pattern Of Your Sleep - Mi Smart Band 5 and Setting Up Do Not Disturb (DND) Mode - Mi Smart Band 5 to keep sleeping undisturbed. As for the alarm you can snooze it and to know how: Alarm Settings And Configure Snooze mode - Mi Smart Band 5 to lengthen your sleep.

On top of many health-related features, Mi Smart Band 5 also introduces more useful features. In terms of displaying style, music control, remote control and night mode which is a value added feature for our convenience.

What’s more, the Mi Smart Band 5 also supports more than 100 of customized themes to choose from, including fifty-four IP featured themes such as Spongebob Squarepants, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hatsune Miku, and Detective Conan. You can also customize the interface by adding function modules based on their preference, everyday mood, and personal style.

IP featured themes such as Spongebob Squarepants, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hatsune Miku, and Detective Conan to suit your preference. Note: Spongebob Squarepants is available on Global meanwhile for China region Mi Account, all IP animated watch faces is available.

For a change you can have your own wallpaper for the watch face refreshing the watch dial from time to time. To do that read: Animated Watch Faces Support - Mi Smart Band 5

For travelers, the World clock is added too, to quickly check the time in other cities. Checkout: Frequent Traveler World Clock - Mi smart Band 5

Besides many performance improvements and features, remote photo-taking, music playback, find my phone, phone muting, phone unlocking, incoming call notification, do not disturb, WhatsAPP notification, app message alerts, calendar reminder, event reminder, weather forecast, timer, countdown timer, alarm, Bluetooth broadcasting, online dials, custom dials, preset dials, screen locking, charging progress display, choice of wearing method, OTA upgrades are the other features that come standard now on Mi Smart Band 5.

The Camera Remote Control feature has been added for your convenience, without having to use an additional gadget for the shutter control. Read on to know more: Camera Remote Shutter Control - Mi Smart Band 5

The Music Control feature has been added for more leisure activities, making it more convenient to control the music on your phone, like access to Volume control, pause, stop or play and skip forward and previous song. Read on to know more: Using Music Control Feature - Mi Smart Band 5

It also comes with many useful functionalities which are customizable, like creating our own vibration pattern rather than using the default vibration. Let's see how it's done: How To Create A Custom Vibration Pattern - Mi Smart Band 5

Curious to know what's inside that does all that we have talked about? As for specs, the Mi Smart Band 5 has an apparently faster chipset than its predecessor, Bluetooth 5.0, 16MB of storage, 512KB of RAM and a barometer for gauging atmospheric pressure on a different altitude during our climbing session and so on.

On the power management which is very vital to keep us with uninterrupted juice, it's fitted with a 125mAh Lithium-ion polymer battery, that supports 14 days of continuous usage, offering ease of mind especially when travelling and adopts a brand new charging solution, simply snap the magnetic charging cable onto the back of the Mi Smart Band 5 when the battery runs low.

All it takes is more or less 2 hrs to charge and the actual battery life may vary depending on environment, frequency of use, and other factors. And to save battery and for better night visibility and your eyes. Read: Mi Smart Band 5 Goes Dark With Night Mode

Doing more with Mi Smart Band 5, since it supports Alipay offline payment. To know more: Binding and Unbind Alipay On Mi Band 5

Another over the edge features, is that most wearable overlook is the Lock button, this is especially useful for those who never take off their band during showers or when you do your routine swimming, especially since water droplets can make the capacitive and touch screen go haywire.

Mi Smart Band 5 is feature-laden wearable, it rated at 5 ATM Resistant Rating and can withstands pressure equivalent to a depth of 50 meters.

To satisfy my curiosity, I did a submerging test and see whether something is going to happen, of course, to my dismay nothing happened, and the Band survived the test.

With all the amazing features and functionalities, you need a control panel that monitors, tracks, records the inputs and translates it into detailed statistics for us to take an analytical action to improve our wellbeing. As shown above, these apps have maximum compatibility with the Mi Smart Band 5. To know more about better connectivity: Lost your exercise trace? Mi Smart Band 5. And should you need a baseline for your buying decision, check this out: Mi Smart Band 5 Versus Mi Smart Band 4  

My thoughts
After using and playing with it for about a month, with most of the features to make a comprehensive review, conclusively it's an awesome user experience. With the upgrade in performance and new functionalities it is noticeably quick, smooth and the least to mention very intuitive wearable out in the market. With that said, I am poised Mi Smart Band 5 will be the next "Big Hit Wearable" and a "Big Bang for the Price" range. On top of that it's a perfect travel companion. And my suggestion that it is imminent that SpO2 sensor and Ambient Light sensor be available for the sequel.

"Realizing the Mi Fan's Dreams"

Mi Smart Band 5 Threads

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-07-18 13:34:04
Favorites4 RateRate

News Reporter

Paddyman | from app

thanks
2020-07-18 13:37:40
I am a good friend!

Mi Rédacteur

arawak8 | from app

Hi, thanks
2020-07-18 14:12:08

Semi Pro Bunny

Dosada1234 | from Redmi 8

Thanks for sharing.I ordered one online and I can't wait for that watch to get.
2020-07-18 14:47:30
Awesome review
2020-07-18 14:47:53

Super moderator

Crossfiree | from Mi 10 Pro

Can't wait to get my hands on it
2020-07-18 15:43:48
Thanks for sharing
2020-07-18 15:51:21

Semi Pro Bunny

karimkrb | from Redmi Note 8 Pro

thanks for sharing