In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Other Phones

[Q & A] "Find device"Can't activate SIM card - Couldn't verify phone number

2020-06-11 01:43:14
8804 10
Hi there! I am a new U.S. Xiaomi user, and so my new Mi Note 10 Pro has been working flawlessly. My service provider is AT&T, and their SIM card seems to work fine in my phone judging by the fact that I am able to send text messages and make phone calls just fine, as well as use data.

However, my only issue is that I have a notification at the top of my screen that has not gone away since I acquired the phone. The notification is from "Xiaomi SIM Activation Service" and it reads:
"Find device"Can't activate SIM card
Couldn't verify phone number

(see screenshot)

If I tap on the notification and click "Try again" to verify the phone number, it brings up a second notification and gets stuck on the step "verifying phone number"
(see screenshot)

I have no idea what to do. How do I solve this issue so that the notification goes away?

Notes & Things I have already tried
  • In my settings, I have already set my "Data roaming" to "Always."
  • I can confirm that I can recieve international texts, and even texts from Xiaomi, because I have received multiple "verification codes" from Xiaomi with no problem (I use Google Messages for my texting app)
  • I have my phone number connected as a verified "Recovery Phone number" for my account security on the Xiaomi website. It successfully verified my phone number when I added it to my account for security.
  • I have tried restarting my phone multiple times.
  • I am running Android 9 PKQ1.190302.001 and MIUI V1.0.9.0.PFDMIXM

How do I get this notification to go away and successfully activate my SIM card?
2020-06-11 01:43:14
Favorites1 RateRate

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

Ah, that old chestnut. Your sim card IS activated, it's just a communication issue with the servers. Not sure how to get rid of the notification though, not without blocking the whole category of notifications.
2020-06-11 02:27:59
Torlyn replied at 2020-06-10 11:27:59
Ah, that old chestnut. Your sim card IS activated, it's just a communication issue with the servers. Not sure how to get rid of the notification though, not without blocking the whole category of notifications.

Ah, so this is a common issue. Any idea what could be causing the "communication error" or how to resolve it? Since my  SIM card *is* activated, I'm assuming that this notification is giving a wrong prognosis?

Thanks for your reply!
2020-06-11 08:19:57

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

MiNoteProUser
Ah, so this is a common issue. Any idea what could be causing the "communication error" or how to resolve it? Since my  SIM card *is* activated, I'm assuming that this notification is giving a wrong prognosis?

Thanks for your reply!

It is, across quite a few models. I have seen it quite a few times of PAYG sims that didn't have credit, and therefore didn't receive the confirmation sms. That is not the case for you though, so not sure.
2020-06-11 13:49:01

Semi Pro Bunny

PatPatUK | from app

Probably being blocked, its the US.
2020-06-11 14:18:15
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #5
PatPatUK replied at 2020-06-10 23:18:15
Probably being blocked, its the US.

I wondered that, but if it's blocked I don't get why I was able to get other confirmation texts from Xiaomi  (see screenshots in OP)
2020-06-13 02:59:15

Semi Pro Bunny

PatPatUK | from app

MiNoteProUser
I wondered that, but if it's blocked I don't get why I was able to get other confirmation texts from Xiaomi  (see screenshots in OP)

might be blocking some specific Chinese servers with what's going on.
2020-06-13 03:01:52

Rookie Bunny

6291564108 | from Mi Note 10

I'm having this same exact issue
2021-01-27 09:38:28

Rookie Bunny

6432065536 | from app

I'm having this same exact issue and I am not in US.<br>
I even reload credits to my number to receive an sms from my provider, which did help until I restarted my phone then it came right back up... was anyone able to solve this problem?
2021-03-21 10:28:21

Rookie Bunny

1685050669 | from Redmi Note 8 Pro

server problem
2021-05-23 21:50:23