In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 9/S/Pro

Mi Explorers
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Review] [Mi Explorer] Let's take a closer look at the display of the Redmi Note 9 Pro!

2020-05-18 15:17:52
16466 138
Hey Mi Fans,

it's a new day and that means, it's time for a new post about the Redmi Note 9 Pro. Yesterday, we took a look at the design of the Note 9 Pro. Today it's getting a little more complex. I'd like to talk with you about the 6.67" DotDisplay!

Let’s move into color performance now. As most of you guys might know already, the Redmi Note 9 Pro comes with an high resolution (2400 x 1080) IPS display. The widely used LCD technology is well known for overall color accuracy, great viewing angles and uniformity. To measure the color accuracy, the contrast and the gamut, I used an Spyder5 colorimeter and the CalMAN calibration software.

For the first run, I set the phone to factory settings (auto color scheme) with full brightness. As you can see, the whitepoint is a little off D65 with a slight bluish tint. No worries, that's preety much the standard nowadays. Most people prefer a bright white, so manufacturers raise the blue a little. In this mode we also measure a high luminance of ~420 nit and a black level of ~0.38. The contrast ratio of 1100:1 is decent.

CalMAN Colorchecker - sRGB color space - factory settings

CalMAN Colorchecker - DCI-P3 color space - factory settings

CalMAN Grayscale - factory settings

Measuring against sRGB and DCI-P3, the average Delta E is 4,99 or 4,74. Never heard of Delta E? Let me describe it to you. Delta E is the measure of change in visual perception of two given colors. Gotcha? An average Delta E of 4 to 5 is very common for factory settings. Most phones come with an oversaturation out of the box. We all want them bright colors ;).

Now it's getting very interesting. Let's switch the color temperature of the Redmi Note 9 Pro to "warm". Colors change and you'll notice a more natural, warm white. We're getting closer to D65 now. If we measure the luminance, it lowers a little but ~400 nit is still a great value. Measuring against sRGB and DCI-P3 gives us outstanding results. I can't think of any other mid range phone, that would be this accurate. The sRGB Delta E is 3,59. The surprising part is the DCI-P3 Delta E which is even better with 2,93. That's something, we usually only see on high end devices.

CalMAN Colorchecker - sRGB color space - color temperature "warm"

CalMAN Colorchecker - DCI-P3 color space - color temperature "warm"

CalMAN Grayscale - sRGB color space - color temperature "warm"

CalMAN Gamut

One more thing. You don't have to worry about screen uniformity. The central zone is reasonably uniform with only small falls along the edges. That's pretty normal for all IPS panels and doesn't affect the experience at all.

CalMAN Screen Uniformity

CalMAN Inframe Contrast

My experience with the Redmi Note 9 Pro Display
The Redmi Note 9 Pro is a beast when it comes to color accuracy on a mid range phone. However, it's much more important how the display performs, when actually using the phone. Two weeks have passed since I started using the Redmi Note 9 Pro as my daily driver.

The IPS panel of the phone has a great luminance so content remains easily recognizable, even when using it under bright conditions. The viewing angles are very stable and the colors don't get distorted when viewing from the sides. Overall, the colors are great and I'm sure you'll find your prefered color profile in the display settings. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ for the Redmi Note 9 Pro!

Rate

Number of participants 3 Experience +31 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-05-18 15:17:52
Favorites74 RateRate
Mi Explorers
Though it is a difficult time for everyone, we still need to have the courage to face challenges when facing life.
14 Article Description     57 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Master Bunny

Suter | from Redmi Note 7

Enjoyed reading your article, thanks
2020-05-18 16:21:48
Great review and well describe.. Thank you..
2020-05-18 17:03:06

Master Bunny

Abdullaherolmeb | from Redmi Note 8 Pro

great
2020-05-18 17:07:52

Pro Bunny

Appisco | from MI MAX 2

Good
2020-05-21 07:00:52

Semi Pro Bunny

Mi Kung | from Mi 9T Pro

fabulous