In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI ROM

[Other] [MIUI class vol.8 ] How to master MIUI 12 Privacy Protection feature

2020-05-10 16:53:48
10791 107

Greetings MIUIers & Mi Fans,
I am excited to meet you all back in Mi Community forum. Xiaomi launched MIUI 12 two weeks ago & update roll out begun immediately from April 27. The feature list of MIUI 12 was exciting as we had many first-time features in any android based OS. One of them that raised eyebrows was deeper Privacy Protection implementation in MIUI. Let me walk you through the technical & practical functionality of Privacy Protection feature.

Privacy protection has been in talks ever since Internet penetration evolved. Taking it to the next level, Xiaomi created the new interface MACE- Mobile AI Compute Engine, which has been specifically created for Mobile devices. MACE is an AI framework that will actively monitor, notify and block the privacy threats. This, in other words, controls the user privacy in individual app level. What special about MACE is that it doesn't need any cloud upload of data. MACE can work seamlessly offline and it is purely based on your smartphone.

Where can I access this feature?
Privacy protection can be accessed from Settings --Privacy Protection

How does it fair in protecting user privacy?
In the privacy protection page, as you can see in the picture, different permission statistics of Individual apps will be displayed, like Location, Access contacts, Access call history, Record Audio, Access storage etc.,

Below that, you can find something called 'Permission Notifications'. Enabling this will send a notification every time an app tries to access any of your data when you use or when the app is in background.

Also, you can click on the notification to monitor the timeline of permissions accessed by a particular app

You can also grant permission at 5 different levels, as below-
'Return Blank messages' is something new, which basically sends blank access to the app requesting particular permission so that the app doesn't steal your privacy by constantly asking permission to allow

MIUI will also send notification of all High-risk permissions requested by individual apps & it is up to the user to decide to grant such permission or not
Sliding to next page, We have 'Manage' page where the permissions will be listed and all the apps using particular permission can be viewed in a single window
Special app permissions can also be controlled

MIUI will also have a virtual ID for each device to ensure anonymity

As some application companies have been accused of sneaking user's private space with background camera access, MIUI completely restricts such permission.

Wait, it is not over yet. There are privacy protection touches here & there. For instance, when you share a picture, it usually sends location & other information relating to that picture, which can be controlled before you share them.
Just look at that, isn't that awesome? I love the deep level privacy that MIUI 12 has offered, I couldn't wait for you all to use & enjoy your safe MIUI-ing experience.

Hope you liked the Privacy Protection feature!
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below

Thanks to Admin @Elaine2046, SMod @Raghunandan Bali and SMod @Katrix for helping me deliver this wonderful article!

Until next time-
Jssharma
Moderator- Beta team

Articles that might interest you:

Previous MIUI Class threads:

Rate

Number of participants 5 Experience +90 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-05-10 16:53:48
Favorites69 RateRate

Semi Pro Bunny

Maraj Hossen | from Redmi Note 8

Thanks for nice article
2020-05-22 21:45:25

Beta Team

Johnson Ali | from Redmi K20 Pro

Thanks for explaining in detail.
2020-05-22 21:45:31

Advanced Bunny

kishore1411 | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

awesome protection.....
2020-05-22 21:57:55

Advanced Bunny

Kazandra | from Mi 9T Pro

this is awesome
2020-05-22 22:02:40

Pro Bunny

Lemida | from MI 9

A very useful article for users. Thank you It would be nice if there are more and more such articles about using the firmware. 😉
2020-05-22 22:08:48

JsSharma Author |

Lemida replied at 2020-05-22 19:38:48
A very useful article for users. Thank you It would be nice if there are more and more such articles about using the firmware. 😉

It means a lot. Thank you.
Hope I could do such kind of articles more in future
2020-05-22 22:13:23

Pro Bunny

Lemida | from MI 9

JsSharma
It means a lot. Thank you.
Hope I could do such kind of articles more in future

It will be very good! Since many users have no idea what the shell can
2020-05-22 22:20:53

Beta Team

JohnWick™ | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

Thanks for wonderful info
2020-05-22 22:52:54

Super moderator

VikuBalupura | from MI 8

thanks bhai
2020-05-23 21:54:22
Better to talk on global prospect as we are expecting global rom soon.china should be second priority. But mi community never knew what's true priority
2020-05-25 12:59:43