In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 9/SE/T/T Pro/Lite

[Discussion] [Device Tech Bytes #4] All You Need to Know About Screen Protectors!

2020-04-22 10:48:25
4654 86

Greeting Everyone!

Welcome to Device Tech Bytes 4th Vol! In the previous Tech Byte topic, we have learned about All about In-display fingerprint scanner By Nazeer. Today we are going to learn about Screen Protectors, we know that our smartphone display was never safe even for the fatal fall as we always want to protect them from any unknow object hittings or scratches, but have you guys never thought about where these screen protectors came from? and who designed it at first. so let's break the glass to know abore about it.

In simple words, a Screen Protector is a thin film of plastic that can be used to protect the outer glass of any touch-enabled device. If you’re one of those nerds who wants to know the definition, here’s it from Wikipedia.
A Screen Protector is an additional sheet of material that commonly is a polyurethane that can be attached to the screen of an electronic device and protect it against physical damage.

If we jump back to the past, the first screen protector was designed and patented by Herbert Schlegel in 1968 for use on Television screens. After that, as we moved into the era of Smartphones there were Personal Digital Input Assistants which allowed us to input onto the screen. It was called Stylus. Often it used to happen that the tip of the stylus could scratch the sensitive screen surface which could lead to damage. Since then, this leads to the idea of screen protectors which are widely used even today.

Types of Screen Protectors

The types of Screen Protectors are mainly divided on the basis of the material used which are as follows:
  • Plastic Material
          1)PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate)
          2)TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane)
  • Tempered Glass

PET stands for Polyethylene Terephthalate. They consist of polyester film with a scratch-resistant matte coating on one side and a silicone adhesive on the other. On the Mohs level of hardness, they fall on 2 or 3 with the decent ones. They are very cheap.

TPU stands for Thermoplastic Polyurethane. This is a chemically enhanced plastic whose properties include RESISTANCE to scratches, elasticity, oil and grease and more toughness. This material has limited self-healing abilities which give it an edge to absorb light non-extreme impacts and light scratches. It usually falls on the same level of hardness on the Mohs Scale like PET. But these TPU Screen guards are very rare to find.

Tempered Glass
          Tempered Glass is also referred to as TG. A decent Tempered Glass is usually multi-layered, usually, silicon at the bottom, followed by PET Film. An adhesive between them and the glass with oleophobic coating. They are usually greater than 0.45mm or even thicker. They aren’t cheap, unlike PET, TPU. 8-9H Tempered Glass re good to go. But they are lifesavers especially if you boast a flagship. At the time of fatal fall, they take the whole damage and break/shatter into tiny pieces thereby saving your phone’s display as well as your pocket.

Not only on the basis of material but even on the various finishes available, the screen protectors are classified such as Matte Screen Protector or a Glossy Screen Protector. Don’t worry by the end you would know which Screen Protector should you opt for.

Choose Tempered Glass if you

• Don’t mind the Extra Cost.
  • Comfortable with the Extra Bulk
  • Want to protect your phone's display from drops. (Luck)
  • Want to attract fewer smudges, fingerprint, unlike Plastic ones.
  • Fine to sacrifice compatibility for few cases.

Choose Plastic Screen Protectors if

• want some basic level for protection.
  • Minimal Bulk.
  • Don’t want to sacrifice compatibility for cases.
  • Don’t mind changing them periodically as they get old.
  • It can tolerate the heavy fingerprints/smudges at times.

Choose Matte Screen Protector if you

• Stay outdoors regularly than Indoors.
  • I can’t clean the display every time.
  • Prefer readability, sacrificing image quality.

Choose Glossy Screen Protector if you

• Stay Indoors regularly than Outdoors.
  • Clicks more pictures, consume Multimedia Content
  • Prefer image quality over outdoor use (readability).

• Better add-on protection to your Phone’s Display.
  • A cheap and effective way to apply thereby, protecting from accidental heavy scratches.
  • An increase in durability for drops (Tempered Glass)
  • Prevent smudges, abuse on the main glass. (If no Oleophobic coating)

• Increased thickness.
  • Less Touch response (On Poor Quality Screen Protectors)
  • No, withstand to smudges, fingerprints if no Oleophobic coating. (Tempered Glass)

Do you really need a Screen Protector?
To understand this, you should understand the basics of Science. You might be familiar with the Mohs Scale of Hardness. If you aren’t, let me explain it to you.

Mohs Scale of Hardness is a qualitative ordinal scale characterizing scratch resistance of various minerals through the ability of harder material to scratch softer material. It is named after the scientist Friedrich Mohs who invented this scale of hardness based on the ability of one material to scratch another material. The scale goes on from 1 to 10. 1 is Talc while 10 is Diamond. A typical Gorilla Glass on your smartphone won’t scratch until it comes in contact with a Level 6 Hardness on Mohs Scale. Sapphire is at a level 8/9.

Now you might ask me that Gorilla Glass is on Level 6 so why should we use?

If you are one of those who stay near the beach or the construction sites, there are chances that you might end up scathing your Gorilla Glass. Sand contains Quartz which is a Level 7. As a result, when you go on a beach or construction site quartz might come in contact which may scratch your phone. Ideally, keys and coins won’t do any damage on your phone as they fall on Level 2/3 on the Mohs Scale. The only culprit is Quartz.

Now, Screen protectors aren’t very essential. But I would recommend using at least a PET to protect from the scratches on the beach. Anyways Prevention is Better than Cure! And Smartphones are the most abused pieces of Technology on this planet.

I hope now we have learned something interesting here today
so let's end this here and will meet you guys in my new topic again

Credits
Thanks to the admins and moderators for this great opportunity
hope I will come up with good content again in my next topic

Signing off
@Cherri

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-04-22 10:48:25
Favorites52 RateRate

Master Bunny

Tin Naing Zaw | from Mi 9 Lite

Thanks for your sharing.
2020-04-22 11:14:33

Device Team

Arun Abhimanyu | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

what a content 👌👌. thanks for well descreptive content
2020-04-22 13:36:14

Semi Pro Bunny

iNDarkness | from Mi 9T Pro

I still believe that screen protectors won't save your phone if you drop it .. Ok, scratches yes.. But I have never used any protector and never broke screen or scratch it. I never wear keys in same pocket where the phone is..
And all people than have broken their phone screen was having TG on their phone. I dropped mine several times and didn't break the screen. Just stock Mi cover that you get in the box did the job for me.
2020-04-24 15:50:59

News Reporter

Paddyman | from app

impotant share
2020-04-24 16:36:36
I am a good friend!

Master Bunny

TorQue_WrenCh | from Redmi Note 6 Pro

nice info
2020-04-24 16:49:14

Rookie Bunny

asadii | from Mi Note 10 Pro