In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 9/S/Pro

[Review] [Slavin's Gadget] A Brief Look at Redmi Note 9S

2020-04-14 17:56:29
984 17

Hey guys,

After about 1 week if usage with the Redmi Note 9S, I would like to share my experience with the device so far with you guys.

First, let's recap some of the basic information of this device. Basically these 2 images here sums-up everything that you need to know about the Redmi Note 9S.

Specifications

But if you want to drill into the full specs of this device then here you are:
CPU:
Snapdragon 720G (2 x  Kryo 465 Gold @ 2.3 GHz + 6 x Kryo 465 Silver @ 1.8 GHz), 8nm
GPU:
Adreno 618 @ 750 MHz
RAM:
4GB/6GB LPDDR4x
Display:
6.67″ FHD+ (2400 x  1080), IPS LCD, 84.5% screen-to-body ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 Front  & Back
Storage:
64GB/128GB UFS 2.1  (expandable via microSD up-to 512GB)
Camera:
Main Camera(s)
  48MP f/1.79 ISOCELL GM2 + 8MP f/2.2 ultra-wide angle camera + 5MP f/2.4 macro  camera + 2MP f/2.4 depth sensor
  Night Mode, AI scene detection, auto HDR, portrait mode, Beautify, ultra-wide  angle distortion correction, 1080p60/4K30 video, up to 1080p120/720p960  slow-mo
  Front Camera
  16MP f/2.48
  AI Beauty, AI Portrait, AI scene detection, 1080p30 video, 120 fps slow-mo  selfie
MIUI 11 based on  Android 10
Connectivity:
LTE Band  1/3/4/5/7/8/20/28/38/40
  Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz)
  Bluetooth 5.0
  GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
  IR Blaster
  FM Radio
SIM:
Dual SIM (Nano Sim,  dual-standby)
Battery:
Li-Po 5020 mAh  (non-removable)
  18W fast charging (USB-C)
Dimensions:
165.75 x 76.68 x 8.8  mm
Weight:
209 g
Ingress protection:
No IP rating, P2i splash-proof  nano-coating

My Thoughts
So as I mentioned, I been using this for about 1 week only now and to be honest I couldn't really do much with the phone yet especially on the camera aspect. Due to the fact that Malaysia is till under Movement Restriction Order (lockdown) bacause of Covid-19 so I can only test the camera with whatever that I have in my home only.

Look & Feel
I'm having the Interstellar Grey and to be honest, I really like the overall look & feel of Redmi Note 9S. It doesn't looks or feel like a budget phone at all in my hand. In fact it feels somewhat premium too with the weight and smooth 3D curve glass around the body.

The mirror-like matte finish of the back really look stunning and you know what? I love the 2020 MFF special edition icon here.
Some criticise about the square-shaped rear camera setup but actually it looks quite OK to me. It is different from the others but doesn't make it looks ugly in my eyes.

Only thing that bothers me slightly is that, as many had expected this is also one great fingerprint magnet. After holding it for some time you will see the back basically covered with fingerprint.

The Display
The Redmi Note 9S comes with a 6.67in FHD+ display, 395 ppi pixel density. The output is sharp enough but somehow the display color is only the duller side. You will notice this when you are browsing online photos or even in some case during gaming. I will have to test more on this aspect.

I'm not a big fan of punch hole front camera, the top bezel able to remain thin but compare to the Mi Note 10 Pro notch camera, the punch hole on Redmi Note 9S appear to be farther from the edge which makes the hole actually kinda big to my eyes. But this is totally personal preference, I know there are people who actually like punch hole style better.

The Camera
Now let me share a bit of the shots that I had taken. You judge for yourself if this 48MP quad camera setup justify itself or not, not forgetting the price range of this device too.

Macro mode

Portrait mode

Normal AI mode

Portrait mode

Normal AI mode

Normal AI mode

So what do you think of above images? Honestly they look pretty decent for me especially under sufficient day light. The auto blur or bokeh effect looks very natural and overall saturation seem bery balance to me. Do note that all these are #unedit & #nofilter.

But there is one thing which that I think should be improve here, if you look closely at the outdoor picture you will see that it has a slightly yellow tone. This is even more noticeable when I shoot using the wide angle mode.

Wide-angle

As you can see here, the color tone is too warm here resulting the yellow hue over the image. I hope that this will be enhance over the next MIUI update.

I have two images here, which one do you think is the original image? One of it has a fake sky by using the MIUI 11 built-in Sky filter. Let me know on the comment below.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Battery Life
With the 5020mAh battery it is able to easily last you 2 days without heavy gaming. With heavy gaming also you should be able to squeeze out at least more than 1 day without issue. It also comes with a 18W Fast Charger in the box which is not bad for the deal but honestly, it will take you around 2 hours just to charge this from 1% - 100%.

Performance
So far my daily usage with work + gaming I don't see any major issue with Redmi Note 9S performance. In fact I'm quite surprise how it is able to perform quite smoothly throughout my whole experience so far. Here's the Antutu benchmark for your reference. This numbers actually is higher than the Mi Note 10 Pro too which I'm kinda puzzle. But it did feels smoother on teh Redmi Note 9S as I mentioned.

The SD 720G really does do a good job epsecially in gaming too. I been trying out few RPG games and also PUBG also.
I set to the max settings I can on the graphic for PUBG actually as shown here.

And I played on this setting for about 1 hour and it doens't even feels that hot on the device and there is no lag at all through out the process.

Check out my Chicken Chicken Dinner. LoL

So you will be able to become MVP too if you are playing with the Redmi Note 9S. #PowerToWin

Verdict
With the price tag of starting at only RM 799 for the 4GB + 64GB variant and RM 899 for the 6GB + 128GB variant this is definitely value for money and it will not dissapoint you with the build quality and performance at this price range.

For Malaysia fans, exciting deal is still going on at the Official Xiaomi Global Shopee Store. You can now get the 4GB + 64GB variant at only RM 729 and you can still get extra RM10 voucher for this. Check out here.

I shall end my review here, and in case you haven't seen my Unboxing you can check out my previous thread here.

I'm going to continue using this device for longer time and hopefully will be able to provide a better insights into this device soon.

Thanks for reading.

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +30 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-04-14 17:56:29
Favorites7 RateRate

jihad.ptk1 | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

WOW. Awesome review.
2020-04-14 18:45:42
Regards
Md. Jihad Hossen
Mi Community Bangladesh

Mi Rédacteur

Mi-FE | from Mi 9T

thanks for information
2020-04-14 18:46:19

Master Bunny

Yovan | from Mi 9 Lite

cool phone, hope the fingerprint scanner material can be improved to avoid fingerprint pattern stuck when unused
2020-04-14 19:30:51

Advanced Bunny

perlaping | from app

nice phone... great review as always! keep it up!
2020-04-14 20:03:41

Master Bunny

Jean6215326623 | from Redmi Note 7

very nice 👍
2020-04-14 20:15:14

Wizard Bunny

MiDevCode | from Redmi Note 7

So lucky. Nice thread. 👍
2020-04-15 03:06:00
Always Believe That Something Wonderful is About to Happen!

Wizard Bunny

iMKajal | from MI 8

Thanks for sharing with us!
2020-04-15 11:11:06

Super moderator

yanael | from app

Very nice thanks
2020-04-15 14:03:38

Resource Team

MGJ_1997 | from Redmi 3S

Wolwo... Thanks
2020-04-15 15:21:01