In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Other Devices

[] RedmiBook 14 Enhanced Edition Unboxing and Review : The One I've Been Waiting For!

2020-03-22 12:36:57
7089 121

Hello Mi Fans,

Today I am going to write my first unboxing and review thread here! A bit nervous! But the product which I am going to review, itself boosts my confidence. It is the RedmiBook 14 Enhanced edition. This is not just the best product I have owned from Xiaomi so far, also my best ever birthday gift. As it is imported from China, the system language and everything over there was in Chinese. I upgraded Windows to use the English Language pack and now it is perfect for me! Redmi has always been known for brilliant performance at a honest pricing. RedmiBook 14 also falls in that cost effective category! Without making the intro longer let's do the unboxing!

Specifications

Before getting into the unboxing and feature exploration, let's have a look at the specifications of RedmiBook 14 Enhanced Edition. RedmiBook 14 Pro/ Enhanced is an upgraded version of RedmiBook 14. It comes in total 3 color options – Grey and Pink and Silver. RedmiBook 14 Enhanced edition is powered by the 10th Gen Intel processors and is offered in three configurations. The base variant is powered by the Intel Core i5 (10210U) CPU paired with 8GB of RAM and 512GB of SSD storage. The middle-tier model is also powered by the same Intel Core i5 (10210U) processor ticking alongside 8GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. The highest-end variant is powered by the 10th Gen Intel Core i7 (10510U) processor coupled with 8GB of RAM and 512GB SSD storage.

All three variants rely on the Nvidia MX250 GPU with 2GB of GDDR5 memory for graphics processing. The laptop weighs about 1.5kg while the dimensions are 323 x 228 x 17.95mm. Today I will be reviewing the silver colored i7 8GB / 512GB one!

Unboxing

Here goes the box! The box looks quite plain and simple with the RedmiBook name and that classic tagline - Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen! That's true. You gotta believe it from your heart. Inside the box you would get a quick start up guide in Chinese, another long box containing the charger and of course the laptop. The user manual is in Chinese. So as everything inside the laptop as it's being imported from China. All you can do is either a fresh installation of Windows or upgrade it to the Windows 10 Pro and install the English language pack. I upgraded mine to Windows 10 pro as I wanted to retain all the stock software that Xiaomi had set up with it and the factory partitions as well.

The silver beauty with charger

Inside that long box is the charger for our silver beauty. The length of the cable cord is absolutely perfect. Neither too long, nor too small. The rating of it is 19.5V, 3.33A.

Design and Display

Let's talk about the design first. As I said before I will be reviewing the silver version. Other than that you can also get your hands on Grey and rose pink variants. The laptop weighs lighter and it's relatively easier to carry without feeling any burden at all.The exterior design of RedmiBook 14 Pro is absolutely simple and minimalistic. The top panel is made of a silver-gray matte metal. When you touch the upper part of the laptop, it feels like smooth and a bit silky. Just the the left side of the middle sits the Redmi logo. And beside that is the phrase - ‘designed by xiaomi’. The laptop indeed feels strong and steady built.

Redmi Logo

The frame is made of black plastic material. The RedmiBook logo is placed just below the display. But when you look at the upper border, you would see the biggest factor! Guess what? No webcam! Yes, Xiaomi didn't include any webcam on it. So up there, are only two mic opening.

Mic opeings

RedmiBook logo

On the bottom, you would see the larger air inlet along with the two long anti-slip rubber fits to make it sit steady on tables. There are also some stickers of software and hardware certifications like MS office, Windows, dts, nVIDIA. And of course a bunch of screws are there in proper positions to hold the entire set up. At the bottom most part sits the the speaker opening. It supports DTS sound effects.

As for interfaces, the right side carries a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB 2.0 interface, and the power indicator. The left side has the power port, HDMI video output interface, and two  two USB 3.0 ports. And no SD card reader.

Display

For the display part, RedmiBook 14 Enhanced sports a 14-inch 1080p full HD anti-glare screen with a very  narrow bezels measuring 5.75 mm and a screen to body ratio of 81.2%. The 14-inch 1080P resolution screen has a viewing angle of 178° and a brightness of 250 nits. Now these are all specification facts. But how does the display actually look like? rather actually feel like? For me it's brilliant. It is a matte screen which for me is far better than the glossy ones. I personally feel the display looks much more realistic with the matte finish. Also you get the complete and comfortable view of the contents and can definitely cherish the amazing visual effects. Even on the lowest brightness level everything comes out clearly visible.

Mi ....

I have played several 4K videos on it. Though it doesn't have the 4K display but still you gonna get an immersive and amazing experience while watching the stuffs. The colors are vivid and the contrast is just perfect and eye soothing. Some of you might feel the bottom bezels are bit larger but for me it doesn't mattered much. In fact it will not disturb your viewing experience at all.

Video played (samples)

Keyboard and Touchpad

Time to take a look at the keyboard area. The touch pad is of course placed below the keyboard. The touch pad is made of lightweight alloy and gives a smooth feel from the top. It has the hardware buttons for right and left click of mouse. Also, it supports multi-touch function for various purposes. Just at the lower right corner, you can find the Intel 10th generation Core i7 sticker mark.

i7 sticker

That's the farmost it can go

It has the key spacing of 19mm and key travel of 1.3mm which ensures both smooth and quick functionality. RedmiBook 14 enhanced keyboard has all components for your easy and speedy typing experience. But one thing here is, it lacks the independent numeric keypad. At the top there are a lot of shortcuts which we can access via function key. At the right end corner we see the power button with a status LED within it.

Performance

For RedmiBook 14 Enhanced the most important performance enhancement is that it is powered by 10th generation i7 processors with a maximum frequency of 4.9Hz, which boosts the performance by 13% compared to 9th generation Intel i5 and i7 processors. It features the 1.8 GHz clock-speed and 8 MB of L3 cache memory. The new 10-generation core has absolutely enhanced its computing power. This processor is designed with 4 cores and 8 threads. The basic frequency is 1.6GHz, while the maximum core frequency is 4.2GHz. The TDP15W is up to 25W, minimum 10W. It supports maximum 64GB DDR4 2666MHz dual-channel memory.

Now again these are facts and numeric. What about the actual and real life performance? Upon using it for last 5 days what I felt is, for your daily work, designing tasks, game play, office jobs or simple other work, it will necessarily meet your requirements. Everything is faster and smoother. Specially after coming from the i3, it feels like heaven for me! RedmiBook 14 enhanced editions features the powerful cooling system. It uses a heat pipe single fan design. A heat pipe runs through the processor and the graphics card. The hot air blows out from the right side of the rotating shaft. The large diameter fan brings excellent cooling effect to the laptop. Even while in high-performance mode the operations run smooth and stable.

The chip is equipped with Intel UHD Graphic. RedmiBook 14 enhanced uses a NVIDIA GeForce MX250 independent graphics card. The maximum dynamic frequency of the graphics card is 1.1GHz. The graphics card comes with its own 2GB GDDR5 memory. The storage combination is 8GB DDR4 2666MHz and a 512GB SATA SSD. The performance is strong and impressive. 8GB memory is enough to meet the needs of users for more windows. From your daily usual work to high end image processing, or playing audio and videos- all sorts of performances are absolutely satisfactory.

Though I do not rely on the benchmarks fully but to quench my curiosity I ran several software benchmarks. The first is the Cinebench rendering test. The results of the Intel Core i7 are as follows:

The memory read speed is 18429MB/s, the write speed is 18679MB/s, the copy speed is 18338MB/s, and the delay is 59.3ns.

CPU-Z

UserBenchmark

The laptop comes with a SATA SSD from Samsung, M.2 interface. The CrystalDiskMark 6.0 results are in line with expectations. The sequential read/write speeds are both around 530MB/s under both loads, the random read speed is around 30MB/s, and the random write speed is close to 80 and 90MB/s.

Battery Life

Battery life is one of the most important factor be it a smartphone or laptop. RedmiBook 14 comes equipped with a 46W battery. Once charged fully, under normal usage the battery life can last for about 10 hours. For all your email checking, documentation work, or medium usage of media contents, battery life is impressive. But of course if you constantly go on for heavy usage, this result will be relatively discounted. But even running on low battery will not cause you worry, because RedmiBook 14 Enhanced supports 1C fast charging which can charge up to 50% in 35 mins.

I have installed the Battery pro to check up on the approximate time left . While it says battery gonna last for 10 hours. The estimated coming through from Windows is about 9 hours. Yesterday on my actual test it lasted for 8 hours 50 mins. I played games, watched movies and did some other usual work including browsing and all. So overall I found the battery performance really good.

Gaming

Honestly RedmiBook 14 enhanced does not specialize on gaming. But that will not make your gaming experience inferior at all. It handles gaming with perfection. You can play your games in all settings such as high, medium or low. For now I just played some lighter games like Angry Birds, Beach Buggy racing and candy crush. The graphics and sound along with the smoothness of the touch pad makes the overall gaming experience enjoyable. I did not face any hiccups at all. But then again these are all light weight games. I will make a follow up thread with detailed gaming review and battery performance with some high end games.

Angry Birds 2 game play on RedmiBook 14 Enhanced

Candy Crush

Beach Buggy Racing

Audio

Talking about the speakers, they are with DTS sound and performs exceptionally well. there is a bit of low bass but that do not hamper the overall sound enhancement. Whether it is watching movies or playing games, you can enjoy a good sound experience through the power amplifier included in RedmiBook 14 Enhanced. You can play various audio files of any extension like AMR, AAC, MP3, MP2, WMA etc. Similar is the case of video files like 1080P, MP4, 3GP, AVI, MPEG4, WEBM etc.

Audio sample

System

For xiaomi phones apart from the excellent hardware the software is something which we love to the core. No this RedmiBook 14 pro do not have MIUI. But indeed it has some beautiful in-built software which keeps the flavor of Xiaomi intact. First I would like to talk about the Xiaomi Service Center, which lists some important information like Laptop name, serial number, Memory and chip details etc. It also provides ‘self-help support’ service portal, including ‘service information’, ‘driver download’, ‘maintenance outlets’, etc.

Now comes my most favorite- Wallpaper carousel. All of us have enjoyed it on our Mi Phones. Redmibook 14 has that same feature but with a more vast collection of beautiful wallpapers. Those high quality ultra clear free wallpapers are the reason I can look at my laptop for hours. With a single tap you can change the wallpapers.

Another useful feature is the smart unlocking. You can use the Xiaomi Mi Band and other equipment to quickly unlock the laptop. Upgrade Mi band 3 or Mi band 4 to latest firmware to use the Mi smart blaze unlock. Once turned on the Bluetooth you need to pair your band in the smart unlock app on the laptop and once recognized, accept the button on your band. After that each time you keep the band closer to the laptop, just click on the unlock screen to unlock it swiftly.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
  • Great design and built
  • NVIDIA GeForce MX 250 GPU
  • 10th generation Intel i5 and i7 processors
  • Good thermals
  • Great battery life
  • Linux support
  • upgradable wireless card

Cons:
  • No webcam
  • No SD card reader

Verdict

Just like it's phones Xiaomi is equally perfectionist for it's laptop segment. RedmiBook 14 Enhanced maximizes the user experience with it's performance and features. The simple and refined design, a satisfactory battery life, high end performance is all I crave for. Though the absence of webcam might bother some but what it offers at the price given, is something commendable. So on one line, Redmibook 14 Enhanced Version definitely portrays how a cost-effective laptop should be. It is indeed a king in its price segment. For me it would get a 8 out of 10!

Always Believe That Something Wonderful is about to Happen!

Rate

Number of participants 8 Experience +135 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-03-22 12:36:57
Favorites53 RateRate
Hopefully we will see it in India soon . As per the rumour. Love this laptop
2020-03-22 13:00:23
Very detailed information
2020-03-22 13:45:01

Mi French Team

M1K4_3L | from Mi 10 Pro

Waouh for a first try, you scored 👌
Nice complete and detailed review 👏
2020-03-22 13:57:19
SNOC XUA TROM

Master Bunny

arawak8 | from app

Hi, thanks for sharing, very detailed review

2020-03-22 13:59:57
Amazing nervous review, Full of details, Great shoots, and ofc, Simple but Powerful thread, Thanks for sharing
2020-03-22 14:01:03

Master Bunny

m@soud | from Redmi Note 5

Thanks for sharing
2020-03-22 15:45:42

Grand Master Bunny

Fsbv | from app

Good review ;)
2020-03-22 16:21:50

Master Bunny

Suter | from Redmi Note 7

Excellent review, thanks.
2020-03-22 16:59:50

Master Bunny

inayahhasan | from app

amazing! thanks for sharing.. best Redmibook!
2020-03-22 18:03:56
Awesome and detailed review! Thanks
2020-03-22 19:08:06