In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

App

[App Review] [Mi ART] Google Go: A Fun, Light and Easy way to Search!

2020-03-21 21:13:21
621 5

Hello Mi Fans,

We all like to keep our phone lighter with small sized apps but at the same time we crave for features too. Thinking about user's this mindset Google released a set of light apps which are basically the optimized version of their native apps. Today we will be reviewing one such app - Google Go. It is free to download from google play store and is the lighter version of the official Google search app.  Google Go uses less data, less storage and gives you a satisfying results!

First look

Google go is just a 11 MB app which can be your complete companion for internet browsing. The size of the app is one of the noticeable difference from the native Google app. When you open the app for the first time, a simple white page with that signature Google logo appears to welcome you. Then you would need to log in with your google account to sync all the browsing history, bookmarks and so on. Next comes to set the primary language  for the browser. Once done wit the initial set ups, you can jump into the browsing and have fun! Google go uses machine learning algorithm to deliver feeds based on users’ interests and search history from all Google apps on their phone. Let's have a detailed look at the features now!

Review

Homepage:

Talking about the user interface, if you are into heavy card-based interface of the Google native app, you won't find that in Google Go. At the homepage, you would find the search bar at the bottom for typing convenience. Google Go is mainly a single screen browser though you can navigate to other things and screen easily. If you swipe right you would find the All apps section from where you can simply add any of your favorite app to home screen and open them with one tap. While swiping the screen to left it would take you to the Discovery Feed. Also, at the top of the home page you would find different tutorial videos which would make your app using much more easier and efficient. I really like how Google incorporated those videos for ease and comfort. Just below those videos, there are icons of Google services such as Search, Voice search, YouTube, Translate and Maps followed by your favorite apps.

Apps & Website:

Google Go lists various important and interesting websites as app shortcuts. Just tap on any of them and they would open that particular website's lighter page. There are multiple websites at the Google Go home screen. The websites are categorized into categories like Entertainment, Social, Sports, News, etc. Click on them to add them to your favorite list on home page. Main advantage of this is, you don't have to download the apps separately. But please remember for apps like Facebook, Instagram you would get access to limited features.

Image & GIF Search:

Google Go has a dedicated button for image search. You can search any category images you want. and for a better access, Google has also listed down various other types like birthday specials, Good morning/night wishes, wallpaper etc. Apart from that GIFs are also there. So you can easily browse through anything you want as per your wish and requirements. Google Go also supports the in-built voice search and incognito mode. So, on a whole this is indeed a complete package.

Translation & Listening to Web page:

These 2 are my most favorite features. Any web pages you can translate to your desired language. Just from the bottom of the page click on 3 dot menu button and open Translation option. At the upper part you will see the language list on which that particular page can be translated. Choose the one you need and you are good to go! Does your eye pain after surfing articles for sometime? You feel more like listening than reading? google go has sorted that for you. At the bottom press the colorful play button to listen to that articles. It's smooth and convenient.

Google lens:

Google Go has the integrated Google lens which can translate any word from any image via the camera app. You can either take a photo with camera or simply import it from Gallery app. After the texts are recognized it gives you 3 options to act upon - translate, Listen and search. All are self explanatory. Here also you can change the translation language to anyone you want. This is very useful and at the same time knowledgeable.

Settings:

Under the settings, you can change the background image of Google Go. In other words you can change the background wallpaper of the app and replace that boring white page with your favorite image. Also the My activity tab helps you browse through your search history and other google account activities. Google Go offers a Lite Mode which saves your data and show basic and compressed version of web pages. You can enable it from settings.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• Very small size but compact features
  • faster loading speed
  • In built data saver mode
  • Convenient app shortcuts
  • In built voice search and Google lens

Cons:

• No visible cons

My View

Google Go as i said before was built with the motive to provide you a lighter and faster way of search. And trust me, the app does full justice to that aim. It is light, fast and clean.The app launching and web page loading speed is much higher than the native Google app. The UI is absolutely user friendly and smooth. It has a simple layout with easily identifiable icons. Moreover what impresses me most is the size of the app compared to the native Google app. The support of additional international languages, custom background images, Data saver mode all are just there to make the app perfect. So for me, the app deserves a big thumbs up!

I will give it 4.6 out of 5

Additional Information

Downloads

Download Google Go from Google play Store

Or,

Download the APK

Google Go.apk (9.81 MB, Downloads: 1)

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +25 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-03-21 21:13:21
Favorites1 RateRate