In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

App

[App Review] [Mi ART] Wikipedia : The Free Encyclopedia on Your Phone!

2020-03-14 21:02:16
567 10

Hello Mi Fans,

How are you all doing? Hopefully good! Everyday is a new day. And everyday is a new opportunity to learn something new. There are various apps available in play store that can update your knowledge, making you more smarter. To know details about various things, Wikipedia is many of our top most choice. Today we are going to know about the Wikipedia App. The free encyclopedia for your phone!

First Look

The official Wikipedia app helps you find, discover, and explore various contents on Wikipedia and increase your knowledge. Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers and consists of more than 40 million articles in nearly 300 different languages. We are familiar with the web version. Now it's time for the app which provides you, your favorite online encyclopedia at your fingertips. When you open the app for the first time, here comes the simple grey colored start up page. Next is just a few line summary of what Wikipedia actually is, in a clean white. You can add or remove different languages based on your preference before starting exploring the app. Viewing contents on our desired languages is the one of the biggest advantage of Wikipedia. But remember, not all card types are available in all Wikipedia languages.

Review

Customize Feed:
In the app, the first thing we need to do is, to Customize Explore Feed. You can now choose what to show on your feed and also prioritize your most preferred or favorite types of content. How to do that? Click on the customize option. Here you will get the list of the types of contents that are displayed in the feed. Like - On this day, Trending, Today on Wikipedia etc. If you dont wanna see a particular category, unchecked the box beside it. You can also change the order as per priority. Click on the three lines on right side and pull it up or down to change it. This is indeed very helpful. As it gives you liberty to not get into the contents of the things, which you don't need.

Feed:
Now, let's explore the feed! If you scroll through it, You can find different sections like In the News - It shows various news articles. On This Day shows historical events that happened on that particular day. Trending section shows topics trending worldwide. The last two sections are Featured Articles displaying articles that are featured. Picture of the Day is self explanatory. It would how different pictures everyday selected by wikipedia Team.

Roll the dice:
A very interesting feature of this app is Randomizer. Here you can flip through random articles to read from Wikipedia. Roll the dice and pick your article. You can also just scroll vertically to go through various articles. This is really fun! Short and cute cards containing different information are bound to impress you.

Search:
For any app I believe this is a very useful function where you can type down any topic you want to know about to have a detailed information on it.  Wikipedia has it too. Even it has an integrated voice search function which might come handy incase you are feeling lazy to type! Try it out.

My Lists & History:
Here you can find all your saved articles. You can categorize your saved articles into various cards. Like I have - Favorite fruit, Favorite places, Favorite topics etc. Now, how to create the cards? Suppose you are reading this article about football. Once you click on Save button. It would give you an option to create a new card. Create it, give it a new name and boom! you are set. You can access your saved articles even offline. You can also sync lists to your Wikipedia account across devices. This Card feature is particularly useful as it helps you in sorting your favorite articles into their rightful place. You don't need to go through all the articles to find a particular one. Just go to the specific card and find it. History holds the list of all your browsed articles.

Let's be familiar with different features of article reading now. Besides saving your favorite articles or sharing them with your friends or family, you can also change it to your preferred language. When you click on the Language button below, Wikipedia will show you the list of available languages. Choose one and Wikipedia would do the translation for you! Find in page helps you to find a particular words or phrases, every time it appears in the text of the article. The last option is Table of Contents. Scroll to get the complete list. You can skip reading the entire article and go to any particular part as per your need.

Suggested Edits:

Wikipedia offers you the opportunity to help improve various Wikipedia articles through fun ways! You can either add captions to different images or add article descriptions to various articles. Image captions describe an image to help readers understand it's meaning and context. You can also help translate different captions in your preferred language. So if you have proper knowledge about anything. Happy editing! But please make sure you are not adding any false information.

Settings:
In the Settings tab, you can change your preferred language. Changing app theme, is something I Like a lot. You can Have Light, dark, Black or sepia theme. It would also help you in getting a better experience while reading at night. My personal favorite is sepia one which gives you a feel of book reading. Changing the text size is also possible from here. You can also opt for image dimming in dark theme. One of the most helpful feature is that you can sync reading lists across different devices by saving them to your Wikipedia account.

Pros and Cons

Pros
  • customizable feed with all your favorite categories
  • Various language support and different color themes
  • Use Near By to know more about what’s around you
  • Voice integrated search
  • Sync lists to your Wikipedia account across all devices.

Cons
  • There should be more stronger checking system to check the reliability of facts added by different users

My View

There are loads of app available to boost your knowledge. But to be frank for me, Wikipedia would be a choice over any other option, always. I am sure, most of us use it while browsing to get information about any particular incident, place, personality or anything else. Wikipedia has a vast collection of articles about almost everything. Now, as we are quite familiar with web version, why would you want to install the app? Well for me, I would definitely go for the app, as it uses less data and loads the article much faster than in browsers. More over the inbuilt voice search, dark mode, Near by are other add ons. There is nothing, that I don't like about the app. But one thing I would like to say is, while using the app for the first time, the interface might seems to be a little messy for some of you. Once you get used to it, that won't be any issue at all.

I will give it 4.5 out of 5

Additional Information

Downloads

Download Wikipedia from Google Play Store

Or,

Download the APK
Wikipedia.apk (7.81 MB, Downloads: 5)

Rate

Number of participants 4 Experience +45 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-03-14 21:02:16
Favorites RateRate
Nice review
2020-03-15 02:33:24
I use this app. Thanks
2020-03-15 02:36:17

Resource Team

MGJ_1997 | from Redmi 3S

Nice
2020-03-15 12:15:04
Have this app. Thanks for the review
2020-03-16 10:17:04

Semi Pro Bunny

CED000 | from Redmi Note 8

This is not a bad app at all to have! Great review
2020-03-16 10:30:58
CED
Nice review, thanks for sharing with us.
2020-03-17 10:01:03

Banned

Prasad Poco F1 | from app

Awesome...every user' must and should grab this app.. Clean Explain and Review.. tq
2020-03-17 11:33:44
Be Cool,Be Happy.Always Keep Smiling.Just Trust Your Mind And Follow

Prasad
Mi Community India
One of the favorite sites and app to get information. I always used it in college time.
Thanks for the review.
2020-03-19 19:07:00

App Review Team

zesushv | from app

Another great app. No doubt I need a phone with a bigger storage, I am missing on so much due to low storage.
2020-03-20 01:34:20

Wizard Bunny

iMKajal | from MI 8

Thanks for your review!
2020-03-27 13:26:43