Hey Mi Fans! What's Up?
Indian Railways today announced a multi-purpose app called "Rail SAARTHI" to cater to various passenger requirements, including ticket booking, inquiry, on-board cleaning and ordering meal on a single platform. App was announced today by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu. The new SAARTHI (Synergised Advanced Application Rail Travel Help and Information) app also includes features such as safety for women, complaint facility and suggestion for improvement, Mr Prabhu said.
Here's a crux of everything you need to know :
1. Since this is a multi-purpose application, users now don't need to download multiple railway apps as the new SAARTHI app will allow them to perform various functions.
2. A lower berth in a 3AC coach will be reserved for physically-challenged people and the middle for the individual accompanying them. But, there will be only one such berth in the 3AC coach of a train.
3. You can also book Air Tickets through the app.
4. You can share your feedback while booking a ticket.
5. "First rake has been commissioned and based at Shakurbasti DEMU shed in Delhi of Northern Railway. Twenty-four more coaches will be fitted with this system within the next six months," the ministry said in a statement.
6. In a move to promote the use of cleaner fuels while launching the first solar powered DEMU train, Mr Prabhu said, "Indian Railways is trying to increase use of non-conventional sources of energy."
7. The entire electrical needs of the train are fulfilled by power produced from solar panels fitted on the roof of coaches.
8. "More solar-powered trains may be inducted in future," Mr Prabhu added.
9. The quota provision which was only in the sleeper class (2 berths) has now been extended to the 3AC as well.
10. According to the ministry's estimates, a solar-powered train with six trailer-coaches has the potential to save about 21,000 litres of diesel and thereby effect a cost saving of Rs. 12 lakh every year.
Here are some screenshots of the app :
You can download this app from here. Do let me know your experience with the app in the reply section below!