In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

General

[Other] [How It Works #22] Headphone Jack 3.5 mm! Types and problems with it!

2019-11-25 01:39:48
5325 121

Hello Dear MIUI Fan's!
Today you'll know more abou Headphone "Jack" 3.5mm, types and other specification's this important part of our life.

History
The first 1/4 ″ TS connectors were developed in the 19th century for use in telephone exchanges. Initially, the tip had a shape different from modern plugs. With the advent of TRS, there was a problem of physical compatibility with TS, so in the TRS standard there was a modified tip for which sockets would not accept TS-plugs. At the moment, the vast majority of TS plugs are made with the tip originally intended for TRS, so the problem of physical compatibility remains unresolved.

Type
Jack TRS (phone connector) is designed to transmit analog sound and is most often used in headphones, headsets and speakers.
TRS means:
  • Tip
  • Ring
  • Sleeve

The word "jack" in audio technology means "socket", so it is incorrect to call a jack, or even a whole class of connectors. In addition to jargon “jack” there are names: “audio” and “stereo”.

Modifications to TRS Jack
Number of contacts

5 pins - TRRRS jack 5-pole. It is used in headsets with noise reduction.
4 pins - TRRS “jack 4-pole”. It is used in conventional headsets, in balanced headphones, in the connecting cords of set-top boxes and in some exotic adapters.
3 pins - TRS “stereo” or “jack 3-pole”. It is used in cords of headphones, speakers and microphones.
2 pins - TS “mono” or “jack 2-pole”. The bipolar plug is used in professional equipment, for example, to connect electric guitars.

Sizes

• 2.5 mm - micro-jack (small-sized gadgets, headsets of old mobile phones)
• 3.5 mm - mini-jack (smartphones, players, PC audio card)
• 6.35 mm - a quarter of an inch - 1/4 ″ (pop microphone, professional headphones)

If the size of the plug does not fit the size of the socket, an adapter is needed

TRS plug pinouts
The numbering of the contacts of the TRS plug starts from the tip.
The assignment of TRS pins in the headphones and speakers is clearly defined

• 1 - Left channel - L
  • 2 - Right channel - R
  • 3 - Common wire - G

There is no standard in the color coding of wires in the cord, but there is a certain tradition:
  • 1 - Left channel - White (or green)
  • 2 - Right channel - Red
  • 3 - Common wire - Copper (braid)

And here we come close to the problem of this connector.
In my personal experience, I remember when it seems that the connector is the same and everything should work normally, you encounter the problem of not wiring correctly, or the plug normally plays only when you plug it in half, but when it is completely plugged in, it doesn’t play, or the sound seems to be from under water. I noticed such a problem not only with Xiaomi smartphones, but also with other manufacturers, for example, my Mi Max 3 smartphone refuses to play sound with original headphones from SONY smartphones. This may indicate that either the pinout is different, or the plug is not correctly made (they play perfectly with the SONY smartphone) and MAX 3 normally reproduces sound with other headphones. I mean the length of the tip, I met such a mistake when the plug is 1 or 1.5mm shorter or longer. For the same reason, incompatibilities may not work selfie sticks. So be careful when buying headphones with this connector.

Thanks to Administrator and SMod and Mod!

Related thread:

Rate

Number of participants 9 Experience +102 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-11-25 01:39:48
Favorites89 RateRate

Pro Bunny

Fries75 | from Mi A2 Lite

thanks for sharing
2019-11-25 01:53:26

Advanced Bunny

am....... | from Mi A3

thanks for information
2019-11-25 02:23:10

Master Bunny

Swapnilbd | from Redmi 5 Plus

thanks for sharing
2019-11-25 02:25:16
Thanks for sharing, enlightening!
I guess this is the reason why my AKG Q460 isn't controlling volume/change track in Android phones (only on iPhones)
2019-11-25 02:26:18

Super Moderador

Katrix | from MI 6

Thanks for the explanation
2019-11-25 02:36:19

Advanced Bunny

Bodmas | from Mi A3

Educative
2019-11-25 02:59:11

Moderador

BeingBishal | from MI 9 SE

Informative Thread!