In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi A2/Lite

[Tips] What does mean unlocking bootloader, root, custom roms and more?

2019-11-13 04:49:20
263 1
Reply points 1 Experience
Experience credits awarded to those who replied to this thread, times for each ID
So the bootloader is something like a policeman who controls if you are using original Operating System(OS) by your phones company. So if you flash(install) another OS without unlocking bootloader, the policeman will say to phone: Nope, you are not gonna boot this. (all how to do it will be on bottom of thread)
But why should you want to unlock it?
- There is a planty of reasons but most common is: No more android and security updates.

Do I need these android and security updates?
- Yes and No. You need most importantly security updates, the android updates just bring new features and design.

I want to unlock the bootloader, how can I do it?
- Please note that the unlocking bootloader can void your warranty and will factory reset your device!

Lets move to root. What does it mean?
It gives you administrator in whole system and you can do anything. (modify system files, install apps which require root and so on...) But is it safe? The answer is: No for average user. There are plenty apps which require root and can harm your phone, collect completely everything what you do, what you are writing, see your contacts, your passwords and etc... Yes this sounds pretty bad, but if you use the right apps, you are good to go.

A custom recovery? Whats that?
It lets you to install .zip, .img packages which can root, install custom roms or modules.

What are modules?
Modules are special modifications which can be installed and uninstalled without wiping anything else from phone.

What about custom roms? What are these things?
Custom roms are OS developed by indenpendent developers, community or another company. Every single custom rom is unique and different. You should watch yourself here too becouse not every custom rom is safe. The most safest custom roms will be on bottom of the thread.

So how do I unlock my bootloader?
  • Go to settings and open about phone
  • Tap several times build number until pop ups window to enter your lockscreen password if you have any.
  • Now go back to settings and open system section which is completely on bottom of settings
  • There select advanced and open developer settings
  • In developer settings enable OEM unlocking
  • Now move to your PC and install ADB and Fastboot Tool
  • Than reboot your phone into fastboot (turn off, than hold power button and volume button up or down (it has to show a bunny and under it will be fastboot))
  • Than connect phone via USB to PC
  • On pc open CMD (Command Prompt)
  • There enter command: fastboot devices
  • If it shows your device enter command: fastboot oem unlock
  • You will be prompted on phone select yes (move by volume buttons and select by power button)
  • The phone will factory reset and will reboot with new booting which will always say that the bootloader is unlocked

How do I root?
  • So you will need at first download custom recovery, I recommend TWRP
  • Once it is downloaded, move it to any folder and make sure you have .img file
  • Than in CMD write: CD (file road where it is saved like C:/user/desktop/twrp
  • Than you will have to download root, I recommend Magisk (download .zip and .apk)
  • Than enter this command fastboot boot name_of_the_twrp.img
  • If it boots than reboot again phone into fastboot and enter this command: fastboot flash recovery name_of_the_twrp.img
  • Than write again: fastboot boot name_of_the_twrp.img for faster booting TWRP
  • Once booted TWRP, move magisk .zip file to phone
  • Than in TWRP select flash,
  • Here find your magisk.zip file and select flash
  • Than you can reboot your phone, install .apk of magisk and you are rooted!

The most sweetest thing, the custom roms:
  • Do this before rooting!
  • You will need too TWRP, so do exact steps like in How to root?
  • You will have to download a custom rom but which? There is so many custom roms, you can find most of them on XDA Developers
  • I would recommend these:
  • Lineage OS
  • Pixel Experience
  • Resurrection Remix
  • There download your rom and it has to be .zip file!
  • Then head to: Open Gapps
  • There download Google apps .zip file for your rom, if the rom is Android 9, download for android 9, if your devices is ARM64, select it! How do you know if you are ARM64 or another? Simply download app called system informations and search in app for these things.
  • Once all is downloaded to YOUR PC, reboot phone into TWRP
  • There go to WIPE and select advanced
  • Select everything but not SD card!
  • Than move rom and Gapps to internal storage
  • Than go to flash and select rom and after successfull rom flashing you can flash Gapps
  • Than reboot and voila, you are running custom rom! And now you can root or try different custom rom!

2019-11-13 04:49:20
Favorites1 RateRate

Master Bunny

emgi2 Author |

The thread was written via desktop browser, so on phones it can look messy.
2019-11-13 04:50:01
Replied by Mi A2.