In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Global Fans

[Discussion] [Weekly Debate #17] Does Having a Bigger Smartphone Screen Really Lead to More Data Usage?

2019-11-06 21:38:21
3040 115

Hello Mi Fans,

Anyone who has purchased a mobile phone in the last decade has marveled at the reversal in trends when it comes to size. Long gone are the days when smaller meant better. Of course, that was before mobile web browsing was a feasible or enjoyable experience. There has been a trend toward larger screen sizes among smartphone manufacturers in recent years. Today, manufacturers are slowly but surely increasing smartphone sizes to accommodate bigger, high resolution screens.

But does the size of the screen on your smartphone have anything to do with how much data we’re using on the move? Well, study suggests, mobile device screen size is strongly and positively correlated with mobile app usage. As per report, the larger the smartphone, the more data you’re likely to consume on your device.

When people debate which smartphone to buy, the conversation quickly becomes more complex than simply iOS or Android. The operating system, while important, is only one factor among several. For many, the most important hardware characteristic of their prospective phone is screen size, with many users arguing that bigger is always better. Mobile device screen size is also associated with higher data consumption than screen resolution. Moreover, there’s a stronger link between streaming video and social networking apps and increased mobile data consumption than there is for chat apps, such as WhatsApp and WeChat, or mobile games. The market researchers recommend that operators pair large screen smartphone models with larger data tariffs to drive up data consumption.

As screen sizes get bigger, people consume considerably more data, at least when connected using a Wi-Fi network, as researches suggest. For example, data use over Wi-Fi doubles from a device with a six inches square surface area screen to a device with a nine inches square screen. On the other hand, there is only a weak correlation between screen size and data use over a mobile network connection.

There has been several reports that, same massive jump doesn't happen for those with bigger-screen phones using cellular data? There are probably several reasons. First, many of us have limited data and are cautious about how much we use. Second, our time is limited when are on the move, meaning most of the things we are looking up are quick bits of information like where a restaurant is located or your current bank account balance. What do you think?

Does Bigger Screen Size Really Lead to More Data Usage?

Participate in the debate & share your views with us!

Source: cnn.com

End Time: 2019-11-13 09:54:00
VS
For 96
Yes, bigger screen size leads to more data usage
Against 19
No, there is no connection between screen size and data usage

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +35 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-11-06 21:38:21
Favorites33 RateRate

BeingBishal | from MI 9 SE

Yes, bigger screen size leads to more data usage!
2019-11-06 21:46:00
Yes
2019-11-06 22:04:39
Tech Explorer
Yes, I think like that..
2019-11-06 22:26:47
I think indirectly it is so .. The big screen makes it convenient to use so it tends to consume a lot of data.. 🤭
2019-11-06 23:40:50

Rookie Bunny

HellLord | from Redmi 7

well, yes bigger screen size does increase a but if data usage as most sites design depends on device, the screen size of device etc. but if you are actually that concerned about data usage, there are great apps which can reduce data usage (not gonna mention any name). and about streaming videos, there is usually an option to change video resolution. so buying less screen sized phone to only save a tiny bit if data (if there is any), i don't recommend it. still, personally i don't like huge screened phones though. sorry for my bad grammar btw. thanks.
2019-11-06 23:43:47

Beta Team-China

Dorarch | from Redmi K20 Pro

Yes I think in the aspect of loading every single details the smaller screen can't load, but difference not that significant
2019-11-06 23:57:30

Beta Team-China

Dorarch | from app

Okay
2019-11-06 23:57:57

Pro Bunny

108539203 | from app

yes
2019-11-07 00:58:23

Advanced Bunny

klappasaki | from Mi 9T Pro

The bigger screens invite to stream movies, so yes, data consumption is up :-)
2019-11-07 01:50:59

Master Bunny

@hd48915 | from app

I think yes, bigger screen provide more possibilities to use data.
2019-11-07 02:22:49