In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 8/Pro/8T

[Review] Camera King Unleashed - Redmi Note 8 Pro Review

2019-10-07 15:09:56
33203 136

Hei Mi Fans,

Wassup Mi Fans? Today I am going to unleash this new Redmi Camera King, the fully upgraded Redmi Note 8 Pro after using for a few weeks and seeing the reality of the hype around us. To recap, Redmi Note 8 Pro was recently announced in the global market, hence I will be reviewing a global version that comes in Mineral Grey color, 6GB RAM and 64GB storage and comes with a new refreshing packing. To find out about the unboxing, you can check out my article, "Unboxing the 64MP AI Quad Camera King - Redmi Note 8 Pro". Alright, let's move on!

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Highlights
  • 64MP Quad Camera
  • Helio G90T Processor
  • Massive 4500mAh Battery
  • 6.53" FHD+ Dot Drop Display
  • 91.4% Screen-to-body Ratio
  • TUV Rheinland Certified Screen
  • 4°C - 6°C Cooler with LiquidCool Systems
  • Lag-free Gaming with WiFi X Antenna
  • 3.5mm Audio Jack Reloaded
  • 18W Fast Charging
  • NFC for Mobile payments

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Design & Build
Redmi Note 8 Pro is the pioneer among the Redmi series to  pack a much larger display of 6.53 inch IPS Full HD+ LCD screen, on top you get a dot-drop notch which house the 20MP selfie camera and a medium-sized chin at the bottom. The display comes with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels with 91.4% screen-to-body ratio making it look almost bezel-less and what surprised me, was the screen brightness and color contrast is close enough compared to an AMOLED screen. In addition to that, the display is TÜV Rheinland certified, protecting your eyes against blue light and reducing fatigue to your eyes over a long period of watching YouTube or gaming. The display won't disappoint you, so to speak, considering the affordable price being offered and ideal for watching high-resolution video and playing games with superb brightness level. Unlike previous LCD screen which looks cheapo, I am perplexed that everything is super-clear on this display.

Now, is the epic part of looking at rear part of this stunning Mineral Grey Redmi Note 8 Pro with a classic look, very impressive to intrigue, feels solid which gives you a sense of flagship quality experience right from the beginning. At the back, center down is the camera module, the camera is a whole new upgrade over its predecessor with the latest 64MP high resolution lens, an 8MP ultra-wide lens, a 2MP bokeh camera all lineup together with the fingerprint sensor which is down at the bottom of the module, and on the side of the module the 2MP macro camera hidden together with the dual tone LED flashlight. Other than that, you can find the "Redmi" logo and the highlighted "64MP AI Super Camera" imprinted on the back shell of the phone. This whole new layout simply gives it a premium look comparable to the flagship league. Moreover, the curve back and the rounded 3D finished four corners adds more sensation when holding the phone whenever you are browsing or playing games. Keep in mind the device is wrapped with Gorilla Glass 5 panels on the front and rear. In addition, it comes with an IP52 splash resistant body.

Along the sides, starting with the top there an IR Blaster and microphone, on the right the sim card tray, power button & volume rocker button and at the bottom comes surprisingly with a 3.5mm headphone jack that most people love, an 18W USB Type-C fast charging port and finally the speaker grill.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Hardware & Performance
Now it's time to turn-on the phone. Let me make a quick setup here, You will be welcome with the Mi logo. After entering the account details and registering my thumb print, we are all set to go. Redmi Note 8 Pro is running MIUI 10, hopefully we will get the MIUI 11 soon, is based on Android 9 Pie. Everything seems to be running quite fluid. Launching between apps is a breeze. Curious to know what's under the hood? It is powered by the latest released, an octa-core MediaTek Helio G90T processor. The unit I have comes with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage pretty handy for most users and even gamers alike.

Another surprise out of the box is that NFC is available for making mobile payments, like Mi Pay or Google Pay, which is something new for Redmi series and a global variant. That another positive aspect we see in this new trend of cashless payment for our meals or shopping securely.

For those thinking of steaming video at higher resolution, Redmi Note 8 Pro can stream 720P or higher resolution rather than 480P video and support Netflix/Amazon Prime Video in HD as it is Widevine CDM L1 certified.

My Netflix's premium subscription is for Ultra HD and you can judge for yourself from the screenshot of the movie and it's perfect to have a bigger display.

Since, I got some games and benchmark apps installed, let's see how it stack and perform.

After running Antutu benchmark, it scored an amazing high score comparable with Snapdragon 845, way ahead of Snapdragon 700 series and almost at par with Kirin 810 considering Redmi Note 8 Pro is in the mid-range segment. Equipped with the latest MediaTek Helio G90T processor, CPU clocked up to 2.05GHz combined with the Arm Mali-G76 3EEMC4 GPU with a max frequency of 800MHz is no coincidence for those benchmark scores hence enabling ultimate gaming experience.

Eventhough, the Redmi Note 8 Pro offers daily performance, I ran a few benchmarks to clear my doubts revving-up details on the games and what not, to check on the playable frame rates folly.

In GFXBench's T-Rex and Manhattan tests we recorded 52fps and 33fps.

3DMark

Geekbench 5

PCMark

Androbench 5

CPU-Z

AIDA64

GPS Test

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Gamer Centric Hardware
If you must know, the Helio G90T with HyperEngine game technology features an array of technologies that boost the mobile gaming experience, from vivid visuals and rapid sensing touchscreens to enhancing the connection between your smartphone and the internet.

To see the gaming performance, I went on playing PUBG Global, Asphalt 9, Real Racing 3, Darkness Rises and Fortnite. Most of these titles are very graphic intensive games drawing the juice and heating up the CPU and GPU. In addition to keeping the harmony of both the CPU and GPU, the LiquidCool technology is employed to facilitate high-speed, lag-free gaming without overheating.

Call of Duty - Video clip

Meanwhile, another great feature is having a reliable internet connection at all time during gaming, which is taken care by WiFi X which is an adaptive Wi-Fi to automatically switch between Wi-Fi and mobile data reinforced with 4 antennas on the four corners of the phone. Redmi Note 8 Pro is also the first mobile phone certified by TÜV Rheinland High Performance Network Connection (Game).

Call of duty

Fortnite

Asphalt 9 Legend

PUBG Global

Darkness Rises

For ultimate gaming experience it offers a superb audio quality, featuring 1217SLS speakers and Smart PA for improved gaming audio. Moreover, to have a peace of mind running out of juice during the game which is frustrating, hence Redmi Note 8 Pro comes with a Li-Po 4,500mAh battery along with the support of 18W fast charging via Quick Charge 4.0, Pump Express 4.0 and PD 4.0 protocol.

Not forgetting the storage, this unit came with a 64GB UFS2.1 inbuilt storage which can be expanded with the Hybrid Dual-sim tray with dedicated slot for microSD card up to 256GB for adaptive storage. Feeling relief right? If you do opt for a second SIM instead, it supports dual-standby on 4G.

On top of that, Xiaomi has officially introduced the Gamepad for Redmi Note 8 Pro, which is on its way to me, as we speak, I would say coupled with the peripherals, it offers gamers the most immersive and powerful gaming experience imaginable, meeting their high expectations.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Software
Although the Redmi Note 8 Pro runs MIUI 10, on our review sample the system-wide Dark Mode setting found in the flagships is available on my Redmi running MIUI Global V10.4.2.0 EEA. This is useful not only because it seems to be the latest trend to do everything in Dark Mode, but because it drastically reduces the screen's impact on battery life. The software is pretty much standard of MIUI 10 with some great extras only found on Xiaomi phones such as Dual Apps and Second Space. A Split-screen mode is also available in the recents menu, which is accessible either from the onscreen button or by swiping from the bottom of the screen and then pausing before lifting your finger in the gesture-only Full Display mode. The three finger screenshot is imminent. Of course, as for myself, I am so used to the Full Display swiping right to left, swiping down and so forth which is convenient and getting the most out of the display dimensions. Apart from that the Digital WellBeing app, a parental control solution is pre-installed which is mandatory by Google to all smartphones launched after September 3, 2019 running on Android 9 Pie or Android 10.

That's not all to it, Redmi Note 8 Pro comes reloaded with Game Booster 2.0 a framework enhancement that results in CPU and GPU smart allocation, and more system resources for games. There is a pop-up that can be seen on the top left of the screen that shows the Game Turbo is running as soon as a game is launched, you can access a shortcut bar by sliding towards the right on a vertical bar that can be found on the top left side. You have the option to clear memory, take a screenshot, and start screen recording, can also toggle on/off Wi-Fi and switch sim card for data connectivity within the game. Other then that you tweak the game control and display settings. Apart from these, apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, Browser, QQi and others installed apps can be opened in a floating window within the game. As for incoming phone calls, there is a bubble with phone icon will appear, which you can answer or ignore, and if you do pick up the call, it will be on speaker phone mode, so be reminded in case you are worried about privacy. Besides that, you could enhance and optimize your individual Game title, like display contrast can be increased and details can be enhanced under enhanced visuals option, which can help users during gameplay in night mode in games like PUBG, making it convenient for gamers.

For photography, the camera algorithm landmarked with an AI camera, which can intelligently detect an appropriate preset for the shooting scenario. The app is very easy to use, and you can quickly swipe between Short video, Video, Photo, 64MP, Portrait, Night, Mimoji, Panorama and Pro mode.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - The Camera King
For photography, the Redmi Note 8 Pro packs a quad-camera setup at the back as I have mentioned earlier with four sensors behind. The quad-camera setup includes an 64MP ISOCELL Bright GW1, ultra high-resolution wide camera with a 0.8μm pixel image sensors, auto-focus, 6 pieces lens, with a field of view of 79°, using Tetracell technology, where four pixels are merged to work as one to increase light sensitivity equivalent to that of a 1.6μm-pixel image sensor at 16MP resolution making it superb for taking night mode pictures and highly-detailed 64MP shots in brighter settings. To take pictures resembling the way the human eye perceives its surroundings in a mixed light environment. As for the ultra wide angle lens it's pack with an 8MP with a 120° field of view lens, a 2MP auto-focus macro lens with 2 cm focal length and a depth sensor of 2MP. To iterate, the primary camera is capable of capturing a high-resolution images of 9248 x 6936 pixels, that can print images up to 3.26 meters tall, making it the most stunning and versatile Redmi shooter ever.The main highlight of Redmi Note 8 Pro is a 64MP lens that by default actually takes 16MP shots depending on the light density, This is a result of pixel binning which combines four pixels into one, averaging out the quality, exposure, colours and so on to create one significantly better-looking super pixel, especially for night mode. In addition, you can use the Redmi Note 8 Pro to create 4K TikTok videos and shoot 960 fps slow motion.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Selfie

Meanwhile, for our selfie lovers, it sports a 20MP front camera with a focal length of f/2.0 using a 0.9μm sensor, built-in AI technology capabilities, for stunning detailed portrait selfies. Not only that, it supports scene detection, face unlock. AI beauty, portrait mode, 108 degree panoramic selfie, gesture control. Portrait selfies come with quite a competent subject separation for a single-cam setup, and I got amazing results with different settings.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Photo mode

Overall, after trying taking pictures on all the modes, I would say that image quality during daytime is great. The level of captured detail is quite high for a 16MP photo, and the way it's rendered has a very natural look without excessive sharpening and such.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Zoomed 2X

After taking numerous shots, I realized that, it best to use the 64MP mode, rather then zooming to the subject, as the result seem to be similar. For the images, I zoomed to 2X, and it comes with 3 zoom steps, 0.6X, 1X which is normal and 2X zoom in the Photo mode. Zoom is handy when taking food photo to avoid shadow.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - 64MP

The 64MP mode is amazing capturing tremendous amounts of details with reasonably good saturation and although white balance tends to be slightly warm.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Portrait

Portrait is surprisingly good and detailed, in this case I shot the copper statue of a crocodile, as a subject, which you can adjust the F-stop to defocus the background more or reduce depending on your preference.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - HDR

When enabled, the HDR can solve most of the exposure disparity situation, capturing images noticeably brighter and more detail in the dark parts of the image.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Low-Light

From the shots I have taken, there's no prominent noise, details are good, restoring the highlights and bringing out the shadows.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Night

As you can witness, the Night mode tends to brighten the image, nevertheless it also preserves the night time feeling, balancing the light and dark elements of the image.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Macro

Macro mode works well, except when in the Pro mode with Manual focusing it seem there a juggle between lens to focus, anyway the result is superb once you know what you doing. The Perk feature helps me a lot in focusing rather to use our naked eyes in uneven lighting. Checkout my threads "Taking Macro Photography Made Easy with Perking" to assist you for focusing when taking Macro photography.

Manual Camera Compatibility Test

Camera2 Probe

As from the compatibility test, we know camera2 api is enabled with manual control of shutter speed (ISO), manual focus and support RAW capture.

Video test sample

As for video, it can record up to 4K resolution with option of 30fps, for Full HD at 30/60/120fps and for 720p@960fps on the primary shooter which captures a superb level of detail, especially in good light. It is also equipped with a gyro-EIS for video stabilization. For the selfie shooter, it can shoot video at 1080p@30fps. Here, even with the video stabilization enable you can see the jittery but not too choppy, which the software needs further optimization. Overall, the video is clear considering there not enough light, and it was quick to focus to the next scene.

Redmi Note 8 Pro - Verdict
As biased as it may sound, I am impressed by all new upgrade to this particular Redmi Note 8 Pro. I have been purchasing and collecting Redmi series phone ever since my first Redmi Note 2 days, Redmi Note 3 Pro was a top seller for its stunning pictures, those days and I am here again to review this newly crown camera beast, recollecting how much of a leap from its predecessor. After all, Redmi simply has to stand out as a sub branding, the mid-ranger  and always a vanguard among its competitors. As I was writing, I found I had to highlight so many key points, refer to the above, Highlights. There this massive battery, the billboard resolution of the 64MP, the elegant body & build to impress, the Helio G90T SoC that amazed me with so much fluidity while gaming, the huge display even though it's not AMOLED, but at least it stands out. The fast charging is definitely an added plus for a massive battery. There NFC, a first time for a Global unit or for that matter a first timer for Redmi series. And there LiquidCool Technology which, I must admit live up to its function, excuse me for saying this, don't bother yourself with some YouTuber or Reviewer for a cheap thrills or sensation about the heat that might burn your palm or something, I guess too much of an exaggeration. Initially I was cautious but, I tested them wrong, I tested several graphic intensive titles, and frame rate is acceptable or better, in its segment, lag-free and heat is within control temperature, nothing absurd or outrageous. I guess to try it yourself is the best bet to know the real experience. Anyway, to sum up my verdict, all I could say is "Wow, you gotta try for yourself, this mysterious beast"

"Realizing the Mi Fan's Dreams"

More Images & Photos Of Redmi Note 8 Pro

Rate

Number of participants 6 Experience +77 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-10-07 15:09:56
Favorites67 RateRate

Advanced Bunny

HeGo | from Redmi Note 6 Pro

Awesome
2019-10-07 15:51:10

Rookie Bunny

Rodger$ | from Redmi Note 5

Lovely, I would love to see more night selfie photos, I like going out at night with friends in very low light places, I wanna know if it can capture nice photos
2019-10-07 16:23:47

Master Bunny

m@soud | from Redmi Note 5

Thanks for sharing
2019-10-07 16:39:01

Semi Pro Bunny

Vinicius_FGO-BR | from Redmi 6

awesome thread dude. I Hope i will get one ;-;
2019-10-07 17:23:33

Pro Bunny

WDias | from Redmi K20 Pro

thanks for sharing