In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

App

[App Review] [Mi ART] Crossy Road : Endless Arcade Hopper!

2019-09-30 05:55:31
320 8

Hello Mi Fans,

How are you all? It's the month end again and time for me to present to you the review of one of my favorite games. last month I talked about a high strategy game Brave Conquest. Did you play it? This time it's time to change the genre and have a simple but challenging game - Crossy Road. If you are looking for a time passing free-to-play game, this one is for you. Simple tap on the screen to explore the colorful roads and characters that awaits for you. Let's get into details.

First Look

As a first look, Crossy Road might seem to be a simple tap-tap game, but honestly it's not. There is so much more to it which we will be discovering in the review. Its both challenging and entertaining. If you are familiar or heard about the game Frogger of 1980s , you would find the concept of both the games are quite same. When you open the app for the first time, a cute white chicken in the blue page will welcome you. In order to save your settings, scores and progress, you can sign in to Google play games. Or else you can play as visitor as well.

Game Review

First, let's talk about the story of the game and what you have to do here. Well, you are basically a guide who will help the chickens, pigeons and other characters to cross a road, just like the title suggests! It sounds easy I know but twists are there. The roads are full of objects and obstacle. Oh yeah, you will even have flying obstacles as well. You need to avoid those and move forward. Collect coins and gifts to unlock characters. If you collide with any of the objects, you will be smashed. Game over!

Game Play:
The first set of the game starts with a cute little chicken waiting for your help to cross the highway full of vehicles. The main goal is to reach as far as possible to get the high scores. There will be moving cars, trucks, trains. Make sure you don't get hit or run over by them. You need to rather your chicken needs to cross rivers as well. In rivers you will be finding floating wooden pieces . Jump on it at the proper time or else you would be drowned. Not to forget about the flying eagles coming to you and swoop the chicken up. So, these all are the hurdles that would come to stop the chickens and other characters. Remember, your character have got only one life not multiple. Once it's gone. You gotta start all over.

Controls:
The controls are simple and great. You will have controls over all your moves and actions. The entire scene is divided into imaginary grids and full of obstacles that you have to avoid. You have to keep tapping to go forward and swipe to move to any of the four directions of north, south, east or west. With one tap you can move your character one space only. It's tricky. You have to be too much cautious while making a move. And if you don't make a move for a long period of time, then you will simply beaten up by the eagle. Its completely on luck as you can can't control from which direction, the eagle will come. What you can do to achieve a higher score and far reach is, a mixture of horizontal and vertical moves.

Characters:
A Uni horse,  A Cow, A pigeon, A Chicken and the list  is endless. There are almost 100 unlockable characters in the game which are different from one another but categorized under specific groups like - Wabbits, Australian, New Zealand, Slow but fast etc. Each of them has cute names and super cute looks. Cockatoo, Slippy Penguin or the baby bear, which one do you like? With each different characters, the scenery changes. that' some of my favorite feature of the game. It encourage the players to get more and more characters. Some of the characters go on a simple road while some bring rivers and railway tracks. Some replaces cars with animals and brings a jungle on your screen. Even the entire scene changes to nigh time for some of the characters.

Coins & Gifts:
You can find yellow coins on road while moving or crossing it. After each of the game is finished, I mean when your character dies, you would get the opportunity to have a free gift. Sometimes it's just a regular gift where you get coins or a new character. And sometimes you need to play an advertisement to get the gift. Also an interesting lottery system is there which requires 100 coins each time to play and acquire some gifts. Crossy Road has loads of characters as we have discussed before. You can buy them with the coins you received from game. But there is a twist as well. Some of the characters need real cash to buy. If you are not into spending money, you can skip them. Another thing i Like about this game is even the ads are played at your will. You need a gift? Play the ad. Or simple choose to ignore.

Settings:
In the settings you can control the sound and music effects. There is a special conserve battery mode which reduces the frame rate to save the battery life to give you a long time play without any hazard. The game offers the Parental Control with which you can choose to disable any videos ads or daily levels. The game is available in various languages other than English. You can select as per your wish.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
  • Beautiful graphics and sound effects
  • Different scenarios & characters
  • Challenging game play

Cons:
  • Not much to do other than having a high score and collect character

Overall Impression

Crossy Roads has a lot to offer. Starting from beautiful scenery to cute characters and challenging obstacles. The graphics reminds me of Mine Craft. Its absolutely colorful and eye candy. Both the scenes and music changes with character change which indeed makes the game engaging and motivating. But the most important aspect of the game is it's- feels. When you see the speeding car and train comes like they don't care about the speed limits, it's just like the real life. In fact when your character gets hit by the car, it literally feels. The horror you can experience when that character breaks into pieces. This is very important to make a game lively. Well, the game play is hard. But no game is interesting without challenges. Even you can play the multiplayer mode in same devices.

The money making mechanism is there but you can simply continue even without purchasing or viewing any advertisements at all. But one thing is, after some point of time you might feel bored as you won't find anything new to do other than be an endless runner. But over all with simple yet beautiful visuals and matching sound effects the game is perfect for you if you wanna have a cool and light game. I will give it 4.5 out of 5

Additional Information

Downloads

Download Crossy Road from Google play Store

Rate

Number of participants 3 Experience +50 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-09-30 05:55:31
Favorites1 RateRate

BeingBishal | from MI 9 SE

Nice Review!
2019-09-30 09:18:31

Grand Master Bunny

$huvo | from app

Nice review
2019-09-30 14:10:36

Grand Master Bunny

Ian Adoe | from Redmi Note 5A Prime

nice game
2019-10-01 07:52:32
Thank you for awesome review
2019-10-01 11:41:26
Nice Review...thanks for sharing
2019-10-10 08:41:50
Very helpful app review

Thanks for sharing
2019-10-11 14:15:33
I like simple game like this to pass time.
Thanks for the review
2019-10-17 22:46:07

Advanced Bunny

halah4519 | from Redmi 7

I will try it
thanks a lot
2019-10-21 15:54:33