In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

POCO F1

[Discussion] Poco F1 Heavy throttling and Performance issues..

2019-09-15 20:13:37
13097 120
Guys,

Since the latest updates  pubg started laging in my poco. I ran geekbench and the scores were really low for a sd845 device.

It was like this in Geekbench 4.4.1

In geekbench 5 i got

The ideal score of an sd845 device in geekbench 4 score is like around 2400 in single core and around 8000  in multi and in geekbench 5 it should be like around 500 in single and around 2000 in multi. So the scores i got were too low for a sd 845 device. Its even lower than old 835 or 820.

Then i tried to find the reason and saw many posts and videos regarding the heavy thermal throttling happening in poco.

Here are some results from thermal throttling testing app.

So poco starts throttling as soon as we start the testing app. Here is a throttling test result from a comparo video between poco f1, realme 2 pro and one plu 6. We can clearly see the Poco throttling heavily whille other 2 phones are barely throttling.

We ran these benchmarks and throttling tests in my and a friends poco and both were getting same reults. In some posts in xda and mi community, some guys saying that throttling happens because of design flaws or hardware issues in poco. Due to that it cannot dissipate heat hense throttling.

So to find out whether it is hardware issue or software issue we planned to flash old good miui 10 based on oreo because problems started since the pie based miui10 introduced.

So we flashed Miui 10.0.6.0  based on Oreo on friend's poco and  here are the results.

Geekbench 4

Geekbench 5

And here are some throttling testing results.

So, as you can see both geekbench and throttling tests bcame positive. In geekbenchs it scored respectable results for a SD845 device.

In throttling we can see that there is not much throttling happening and cpu runs at higher speeds hense higher scores but at the same time it runs cooler too.

So it seems that they ruined the miui in poco in the latest miui builds. Cpu profiles seems messed up. In oreo build cpu runs at 68 degree while its working in its 90% speed whereas in latest builds it runs at over 78 degrees when working around 60% or less speeds. In oreo cores are running at 2.5  ghz speed but temps are about 40 degree but in latest builds cores are running at 1.7 or lower ghz but temps are over 55 degree.

So the reason behind heavy throttling is cpu runs hotter than usual. It stars heating as soon as if we starts any resource hungry apps hence throttling happening and cpu runs in half speeds and low benchmarks, performance and laging issues in apps games etc. In oreo build it was running cooler and not much throttling needed and there were true SD845 performance on tap with higher efficiency too.

So my question is, when will this gona sorted out? Lets hope they wont ruin the upcoming miui 11 like this .

Note: For those guys who are going to tell that benchmarks are just numbers, real performance matters, your phone is hot while testing, your country is hotter, blah blah...

I am not talking that we want more benchmarks score or we need 855 like scores etc. Half the scores than others devices with same chipset is not acceptable. It indicates that something is wrong there..we want to fix this issue asap..
2019-09-15 20:13:37
Favorites16 RateRate

happybuddhist | from app

Maheshamith
@happybuddhist
@JBJ2
please take a look at this issue.

Hi there!
I cannot test the throttling right now as I'm not at home and is not in a testing condition. However, about the geekbench scores, not that the new geekbench 5 uses a different score baseline than geekbench 4, so the scores are not comparable. Here is a quote from the geekbench's website :
'If you are comparing your results in Geekbench 5 to results from Geekbench 4, please note that the updates in Geekbench 5 and the change to its baseline score make it impossible to compare scores between the major versions. A score of 1000 in Geekbench 5 and a score of 1000 in Geekbench 4 do not represent the same performance.'
Read more about this here : http://support.primatelabs.com/kb/geekbench/frequently-asked-questions

Note that the same performance in geekbench 5 and 4 when compared will fetch a totally different number. It is NOT related to the device, but on how the baseline score is changed in geekbench 5. If you run an older version of geekbench, you'll find the higher score.

Read more about the baseline score and other changes to geekbench here : https://www.macworld.com/article/3435781/geekbench-5-is-released-with-all-new-tests-modes-and-scores.html

P.S. - Benchmarks are still 'just numbers'. Yes, it shows a margin for the performance of the device, but do NOT blindly believe in that. Read about how the scoring is done before panicking about the numbers. Yes, Oreo runs better than Pie in our device for some reason, but does it really hinder our day-to-day usage?

Cheers! :-)

2019-09-15 22:20:28
Device ModeratorMi Global Community
POCO F1 | Mi MIX 3 | Mi 8 | Redmi Note 9/S/Pro

Advanced Bunny

6158046246 | from app

great post, you have any solutions for ghost touches and screen freeze?
2019-09-15 21:08:57

Advanced Bunny

BladeRy | from app

Nice find, just tested mine, results are pretty similar. People complained about lag and heat already but nothing was done. Maybe now devs will listen. And about miui 11 and android 10,  I wouldn't get my hopes up, they didn't fix notifications yet, let alone something serious like this.
2019-09-15 21:21:30

Semi Pro Bunny

Maheshamith Author | from app

great post, you have any solutions for ghost touches and screen freeze?

didn't faced ghost touch issues yet. But touch seems abnormal, especially in pubg. it seema design flaw i think.
2019-09-15 21:31:35

Semi Pro Bunny

BladeRy
Nice find, just tested mine, results are pretty similar. People complained about lag and heat already but nothing was done. Maybe now devs will listen. And about miui 11 and android 10,  I wouldn't get my hopes up, they didn't fix notifications yet, let alone something serious like this.

hmm.. there is no Chinese rom, thats the problem. It looks like they are porting from mi8 roms to ease up the work, and what? messing with codes. This issue must be solved otherwise it can even decrease the lifespan of our devices since there is heavy heating in gaming eventhough performance seems drastically decreased. Lets hope they will fix it soon.
2019-09-15 21:35:32

Semi Pro Bunny

@happybuddhist
@JBJ2
please take a look at this issue.
2019-09-15 21:41:46

Master Bunny

wasimghafar | from Redmi Note 5A

great work
2019-09-15 21:58:16

Semi Pro Bunny

happybuddhist
Hi there!
I cannot test the throttling right now as I'm not at home and is not in a testing condition. However, about the geekbench scores, not that the new geekbench 5 uses a different score baseline than geekbench 4, so the scores are not comparable. Here is a quote from the geekbench's website :
'If you are comparing your results in Geekbench 5 to results from Geekbench 4, please note that the updates in Geekbench 5 and the change to its baseline score make it impossible to compare scores between the major versions. A score of 1000 in Geekbench 5 and a score of 1000 in Geekbench 4 do not represent the same performance.'

I didn't compared geekbench 4 to geekbench 5. I compared miui oreo geekbench 4 to latest miui pie (10.3 6.0 and 10.3 7.0) geekbench 4 and miui ore geekbench 5 to miui pie geekbench 5. I request you to please read the post entirely and please do the benchmarking and throttling test yourself.
2019-09-15 22:27:26
Maheshamith replied at 2019-09-15 19:57:26
I didn't compared geekbench 4 to geekbench 5. I compared miui oreo geekbench 4 to latest miui pie (10.3 6.0 and 10.3 7.0) geekbench 4 and miui ore geekbench 5 to miui pie geekbench 5. I request you to please read the post entirely and please do the benchmarking and throttling test yourself.

Yes I understand. This has been discussed a lot here and in the Mi Forum. MIUI based on Oreo gives out a higher score than Pie. Not sure if it's purely the device's fault, but I would guess partly on how MIUI (Pie) is coded and how geekbench is designed to test Pie based ROMs. It's not just POCO, but with all devices running MIUI Pie. For some reason, AnTuTu results have been respectable even with the updates, so can't blame the device alone. Yes, both AnTuTu and geekbench are used for different purposes, but the differences here doesn't add up so well. That's the only thing I pointed out.

I am yet to test throttling (had tested before and posted in Mi Forum), and have to compare with older results. Needs more users to test it out and see if MIUI is at fault here. Thanks for the discussion.
P.S. - I added the differences between geekbench 4 and 5 just to let users know about the difference. For the untrained eye, these numbers would create panic. Hence the explanation in my previous comment.

Cheers! :-)
2019-09-15 22:35:14
Device ModeratorMi Global Community
POCO F1 | Mi MIX 3 | Mi 8 | Redmi Note 9/S/Pro

Semi Pro Bunny

happybuddhist
Yes I understand. This has been discussed a lot here and in the Mi Forum. MIUI based on Oreo gives out a higher score than Pie. Not sure if it's purely the device's fault, but I would guess partly on how MIUI (Pie) is coded and how geekbench is designed to test Pie based ROMs. It's not just POCO, but with all devices running MIUI Pie. For some reason, AnTuTu results have been respectable even with the updates, so can't blame the device alone. Yes, both AnTuTu and geekbench are used for different purposes, but the differences here doesn't add up so well. That's the only thing I pointed out.

I am yet to test throttling (had tested before and posted in Mi Forum), and have to compare with older results. Needs more users to test it out and see if MIUI is at fault here. Thanks for the discussion.

Redmi K20/Mi9t with miui10 based on pie scores around 2500 single and close to 7000 in multi in geekbench 4.
There are no throttling issues too. Have a look at the below image. An sd845 device performing equal to the sd665 device is not acceptable. These throttling issues reflects in realworld usage like pubg etc. My pubg laging eventhough i plays like a fan blowing air to phone and it remains around 38 degrees but still it throttles and lags.
2019-09-15 22:49:23