In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 9/SE/T/T Pro/Lite

[Tips] Mi 9 : Very bad build.prop blocking VoLTE&VoWIFI, & bad APNS . Tutorial.

2019-08-30 19:27:10
7880 33
Edited for clarification. Summary is:
1. What is wrong
2. Fix
3. APNS check
4. Random list of easy things to fix

ROOT IS NEEDEDVoWIFI is IMPOSSIBLE if you don't have INTERNET+MOBILE on the SAME CARRIER

Hello,

I've studied the latest 10.2.13 Global Rom, continuing on the absolute mess (no notifications, etc) that the Mi 9 has been. I've never seen a phone so badly configured and I'm angry.
Please note that I'm using the EEA Rom (European version) daily, but the Global Stable is the base, and the problem are the same on the two roms.

1. Here is an example of the original /system/build.prop made by Xiaomi:

# set device to DSDS mode
#persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds

#disble rcs service
persist.rcs.supported=0

#set ims related prop
# MIUI DEL: START
#persist.dbg.volte_avail_ovr=1
#persist.dbg.vt_avail_ovr=1
# END

persist.sys.timezone=Asia/Shanghai

So, what is wrong here:

- Build.prop has not even remotely been cleaned, there are doubles everywhere, and developers are using # to disable a line because there is the same setting a bit further in the document....!!
- RCS is forcefully disabled, blocking the use of Google Messages Chat functionnality
- The worst : VoLTE and VoWIFI are blocked on purpose !!!!
- Geography 101 : Shanghai is in Europe and everyone knows that.

2.FIX FOR VOLTE & VOWIFI, RCS

Remove the Xiaomi blocking lines
Add :
persist.dbg.ims_volte_enable=1
persist.dbg.volte_avail_ovr=1
persist.dbg.vt_avail_ovr=1
persist.dbg.wfc_avail_ovr=1
persist.radio.VT_ENABLE=1
persist.radio.rat_on=combine
persist.radio.data_ltd_sys_ind=1
persist.radio.data_con_rprt=1
persist.radio.calls.on.ims=1
persist.radio.volte.dan_support=true
persist.data.iwlan=1
persist.data.iwlan.ipsec.ap=1
persist.sys.cust.lte_config=true
persist.rcs.supported=1

Please check that there are no doubles. I did add the necessary lines for the fix, but I don't want to provide a build.prop because each device is different.

Reset the app / clean data of : "Google Carrier Services"
  Reboot

You should now have "IMS registered" when typing *#*4636#*#*, and VoLTE if you have called your carrier and enabled the option
NOTE : VoLTE has to be enabled by your carrier on your phone plan. Sometimes they will tell you "Your phone isn't listed as compatible - Of course because Xiaomi blocked it - but I can activate VoLTE anyway - Say yes"

Additionnal fixing can be made using "Activity Manager" (com.activitymanager, v3.3.0, free, not on the play store)
  Launch "Modem Config", find your carrier, enable, reboot
  Launch "com.qualcom.qti.ims.ImsSettings", input your number using the international version

3. About the APNS-CONF.XML
Check apns-conf.xml for your carrier IMS config, try IPV4V6 where necessary

To continue, the /system/etc/APNS-conf.xml is absolutely outdated, most of the info here seems to have been taken on a bad google check.
- I suggest everyone check this file and their carrier, add IPV4V6 support, etc
To be clear, I don't directly blame Xiaomi on this one, because I'm not enough into rom building and tweaking to know about how carriers declare APNs.

However:
- There are clear conf building rules, as it can be seen here on how to build an APNS file
- Xiaomi is in the top five oems with millions of users around the world. They should either clean the file and maintain it themselves to have "better connectivity", or shame the mobile providers that don't have reliable data.

4. Beginning of the random list- Low quality audio encoding in videos. It's fixable by changing a number in media-profiles.xml. A single number with notepad. From old grandma vinyl to dolby atmos in 30 seconds.

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +1 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-08-30 19:27:10
Favorites18 RateRate

Grand Master Bunny

Peter666 | from Redmi 5A

Good to know!
2019-08-30 22:01:51

NEMESIS
Hei,

Bring up the issue to your respective Community, as we deal with Global Rom.

Thanks.
2019-08-30 23:15:55

Semi Pro Bunny

merjasec | from MI 9

feds64
Hei,

You don't deal with anything. He's providing help instead of your developers, who don't even know that global ROMs exist.
2019-08-30 23:28:18

Super moderator

feds64 | from MI 9

merjasec
You don't deal with anything. He's providing help instead of your developers, who don't even know that global ROMs exist.

Hei,
Do understand simply English, there many weird provision in EU and it not our jurisdiction to deal with in the first place.
Thanks
2019-08-31 00:57:33

Advanced Bunny

RedWave Author |

feds64 replied at 2019-08-30 17:15:55
Hei,

1. Sorry about that, this forum is an absolute mess to navigate
2. I am in the process of unpacking Global 10.2.13 and will see if there is the same problem.

However, it is very hard to post on this forum :
1. There is no real EEA (Europe) zone, global is the closest, else you need to choose a country, and there is absolutely no one there. Even the new EEA Rom updates are posted here by users...
2. EEA Rom is derivated from the Global if I'm not mistaken, and I cannot understand it's made worse by the "EEA team" only because of RGPD (notifications?!).
2019-08-31 01:44:34

Super moderator

feds64 | from MI 9

RedWave
1. Sorry about that, this forum is an absolute mess to navigate
2. I am in the process of unpacking Global 10.2.13 and will see if there is the same problem.

Hei,
In global there shouldn't be an issue on VoLTE as there no provision to make user difficult. If you do find find issues on that just give me a buzz.
Thanks
2019-08-31 02:46:32

Beta Team

alexkgr | from MI 9

thanks for your analysis. good to know

2019-08-31 03:06:54
Thanks for the info.
Did you update by full roms?
2019-08-31 03:19:26

Advanced Bunny

RedWave Author |

feds64 replied at 2019-08-30 20:46:32
Hei,
In global there shouldn't be an issue on VoLTE as there no provision to make user difficult. If you do find find issues on that just give me a buzz.
Thanks

I've just unpacked the latest global 10.2.13, it's the absolute same.
I'm updating the OP to reflect that.

Sorry to say that, but this rom needs some serious fixing, it's not up to standards.

Extract from 10.2.13 build.prod
#Set network mode to (T/L/G/W/1X/EVDO, T/G/W/L/1X/EVDO) for 7+7 mode device on DSDS mode
ro.telephony.default_network=22,22
ro.telephony.default_cdma_sub=0

# set device to DSDS mode
#persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds

#set uim type
ril.subscription.types=RUIM

#set ramdump restart_level
persist.vendor.ssr.restart_level=ALL_ENABLE

#enable ramdump
persist.vendor.ssr.enable_ramdumps=0

#set ims related prop
# MIUI DEL: START