In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Tech Wednesday] [Tech Wednesday #6] Increasing Use Of Voice Assistants: Leading To Data Breach ?

2019-07-10 02:42:03
325 7

Greetings Everyone,

Welcome to yet another chapter of Tech Wednesday !!

As long as voice assistants are on the rise, data privacy should be too. The market is filled with voice assistants from Siri and Google Assistant to Portal and Alexa. Whether it’s your alarm clock, bluetooth speaker, or even microwave, these can be found in every room of a home or office.

Voice assistants are not only considered a household item in today’s tech-centric society, but are also pervasive within offices and companies. 85 percent of businesses will use voice technology such as Cortana to communicate with customers by June 2019.

44 percent of retailers say they will implement IoT devices like Amazon Alexa and Google Home in stores by December 2019.

Is It Heading To Data Breach ?

There have been cases in the past where Alexa was found sending conversations to wrong people. Many times, in security evidence of the few cracks in the system that show privacy risks are emphasized more heavily than the list of regulations companies implement to keep data secure.

As such, it is important for companies to lean into data governance and be transparent with customers about the steps in place to keep their data safe. As per a report, the following was found out after a survey on voice assistants:

Voice assistants are ubiquitous in today’s marketplace, and despite some mistrust, the privacy risk they present remains largely unregulated. As the industry continues to grow, the push for legislation and threat prevention will only increase.

It is recommend to bring data governance programs to the forefront of business conversations, as it supports data protection compliance and broader value of the data within your organization.

And now that you know she’s listening, consider asking, “Alexa, why should I care about data governance?”

Source: The Next Web

Regards,
sagarplay

Previous Chapters:

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-07-10 02:42:03
Favorites2 RateRate

BeingBishal | from MI 9 SE

Informative Thread!
2019-07-10 04:47:05
Great article, and yes, voice assistants are pretty worrying in terms of privacy and data breach, but unfortunately, most people probably don't understand or care about the situation. I, for example, use Google Assistant on my phone sometimes, but I probably won't have a smart speaker in my house anytime soon.
2019-07-13 02:52:51
Very true and in fact we already know that Google's spying on its users through Google Now and it's Google Home products. Even if you don't "ok Google" it is still listening.

But since Xiaomi's the anti-hacker IoT company and Germany, UK and even America itself have found zero evidence of spying from Huawei's source code that they willingly gave up I wonder if those guys are doing the same thing. Because if they aren't I REALLY want an English version of our Xiao Ai voice assisstant pronto!
2019-07-14 22:31:57
Informative Thread!

2019-07-16 23:31:49
thanks for sharing
2019-07-16 23:32:12
Thanks for sharing
2019-07-18 21:07:53
Thanks for sharing
2019-07-19 12:55:55