In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Other Phones

[Discussion] Mi9T? why? Why changing a brand for a well known sub-brand?

2019-05-30 10:19:31
474 18
Hello! There are voice around saying that redmi k20 pro might be sold in Europe as Mi9 T. And few mins ago I find on my facebook feed this picture...

Which is selling the Redmi K20 Pro as Mi9 T.....

Does anyone know anything?
2019-05-30 10:19:31
Favorites2 RateRate

Pro Bunny

Db181358 | from app

All the expectations for the mi9 T is all over the internet but if you browse Banggood or gearbest it remains as K20 Pro... Global version
2019-05-30 15:03:01

Pro Bunny

Zethazed Author | from app

Db181358
All the expectations for the mi9 T is all over the internet but if you browse Banggood or gearbest it remains as K20 Pro... Global version

actually even GB names it as Mi9 T
2019-05-30 15:06:24

GunplaMad | from app

I know!

Really unhappy with the rebranding idea but what can you do.

And to make things worse is that there introducing it's in India as the Pocophone F2!
2019-05-30 15:26:04

Pro Bunny

GunplaMad
I know!

Really unhappy with the rebranding idea but what can you do.

seriously? so what's the point with "separating" the redmi from xiaomi! it is so much confusing!!! (and sorry, but too many phones now!)
2019-05-30 15:27:31

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

Who knows, might be official , or it might just be resellers doing a bid for SEO in case it indeed becomes the case. These guys have history doing that, prepopulating their sites with rumours at estimated prices to reap pre orders , so...
2019-05-31 02:02:19

Pro Bunny

Kenny_P | from app

probably because the naming system has often been different for the global market, not quite as drastic as changing the full title but the mi9t will make it more palatable for westerners since we know the mi9. trying to launch a Redmi flagship in Europe probably won't work because most people are now mildly aware of the Xiaomi brand but few know the sub brands, or think of them as totally separate companies

also the mi 9t is a jab at the one plus naming system which Xiaomi like to do

thirdly, the mi 9t will be a slightly different phone to the Redmi k20 as it will have additional bands and like the Redmi note 3 pro of years gone, it could make the dimensions slightly different to house additional antenna so again keeping it as Redmi k20 would be a nightmare when buying accessories. I remember the Redmi note 3 pro was horrendous to get accessories for, even when you found a few, you would rigorously read the spec list to make sure the dimensions were correct and even then I was burnt a few times with standard note 3 cases which didn't fit

so kind of makes sense that they would do this
2019-05-31 02:35:11

Pro Bunny

well... they should then try to unify the markets with one single product. I bet it is not easy, but I find it unfair changing the name to a redmi product just to sell. oncea again, the name shouldn't be a problem, nor the brand, looking at the specs should talk by itself!

we can just complain, things are already done!
2019-05-31 02:40:26

Pro Bunny

Kenny_P | from app

Zethazed
well... they should then try to unify the markets with one single product. I bet it is not easy, but I find it unfair changing the name to a redmi product just to sell. oncea again, the name shouldn't be a problem, nor the brand, looking at the specs should talk by itself!

we can just complain, things are already done!

I recon we are still a long way from unifying global markets and Chinese markets. to keep cost down in China and be competitive in the most cut throat of industries on it's own turf they have to cut cost everywhere they can without compromising the device. most Chinese handsets haven't got band 20, why pay for something your target market won't use.

but then is it fair to sell a variant of a device under the same name, probably not. I mean samsung do it in the US where their phones come in two variations, one with a snapdragon and one with an exynos processor, it confuses the fk out if the buyers.

equally Vauxhall in the UK sell cars that are rebranded opal in the rest of the world.

Nespresso sell Krups branded devices in the UK and Germany that have the Kitchen aid brand used in the US.

it happens all the time, either for regulatory reasons, license costs or to sell under an established brand in the market. crazy but this is what happens in business
2019-05-31 20:06:25

Pro Bunny

Kenny_P
I recon we are still a long way from unifying global markets and Chinese markets. to keep cost down in China and be competitive in the most cut throat of industries on it's own turf they have to cut cost everywhere they can without compromising the device. most Chinese handsets haven't got band 20, why pay for something your target market won't use.

but then is it fair to sell a variant of a device under the same name, probably not. I mean samsung do it in the US where their phones come in two variations, one with a snapdragon and one with an exynos processor, it confuses the fk out if the buyers.

I was aware of the differences of the global and chinese xiaomi devices. I just think that Redmi has already an established market that it is not fair to sell its products under the big brand Mi! ;)
2019-06-01 03:26:23

Pro Bunny

Kenny_P | from app

Zethazed
I was aware of the differences of the global and chinese xiaomi devices. I just think that Redmi has already an established market that it is not fair to sell its products under the big brand Mi! ;)

totally agree, but I think Xiaomi has sold itself well to the western countries despite having no budget for advertising. Only Xiaomi fans like us know of the Redmi brand outside China so it would need to start the whole process of making that connection between Xiaomi and Redmi and then marketing it through social media and other free platforms, probably thought it was easier to just remove the Redmi name and let it go globally as Xiaomi. mad I know but such is the life of marketing I guess

it does seem from the initial leaks over the last 24 hours that the only variant coming to Europe is the 6GB ram model, then either 64 or 128GB storage. we won't get the 8GB ram model though.

while I am happy it's coming soon to the EU, why are they so stuck on selling us short on ram? is there really a big price difference on the 6GB and 8GB ram chip? don't they think the 8GB model would sell? or are they just looking to keep the 8GB chips for the CN market as it's up against so many other budget brands who are also providing 8GB for the same price in the home market. I don't know, I just want a full fat model for once and not one of the entry point variations.
2019-06-01 19:26:28