Magisk is an alternative to Xposed Framework. It installs mods systemlessly rooting your device. |
Initially it helps in hiding root from apps. You would've came across apps that wont work when your device is rooted. Android pay, Snapchat, PokemonGO, any most banking apps wont run or give you errors while using after giving your device root access.
Magisk installs root access systemlessly tricking apps in believing the device to be clean. It installs MagiskSU which is an alternative to Chainfire's SuperSU.
To Flash Magisk you'll need the following installed on your device(Pre-Requisites) :-
1. Unlocked Bootloader(explained later in the post)
3. Magisk Manager installed
4. ADB and Fastboot drivers installed (https://androiddatahost.com/bnjkh)
UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER (Mi Devices) :-
1. Go to http://www.miui.com/unlock and login with the MiAccount of the device which is going to be unlocked.
2. Apply for permissions to unlock . Give Xiaomi a good reason to why you want to unlock your device's bootloader.
3. Wait for them to grant you permissions. You will be notified by SMS on the number you provided while applying.
4. Go to Settings → Developer Options ( Activate by clicking MIUI version 7 times in the About Phone menu.) → check the OEM unlocking tab ( it'll allow your bootloader to be unlocked.) → Below the OEM unlocking tab you'll see the Mi Unlock Status tab. Click on it and Then click on the Add Account and Device button below.This will bind your account and device together.
5. After getting the permissions you'll still have to wait for about a week to get your device and account to be bound together on Xiaomi's server side.
**If you are struck at 50% please refer this thread:
INSTALLING TWRP :-
1. Download TWRP for your device from twrp.me and copy the recovery image (.img) file to the ADB folder and rename it to recovery.img. ( check XDA Forums if not available on the website for your device. )
2. Go to Fastboot Mode ( volume down / volume - + power button)
3. Connect your phone to the PC using the MicroUSB cable.
4. Open the adb folder and start a command terminal there. Shift+Right mouse click and select open command window here option.
5. Copy these commands as it is to the terminal without "".
" fastboot devices " this will detect the connected devices in fastboot mode to your computer.
" fastboot flash recovery recovery.img " this will flash the custom recovery on your device.
" fastboot reboot " to reboot your device to system.
6. If it reboots into the stock recovery reboot into fastboot and type
" fastboot boot recovery.img " . This will boot directly into the recovery.
Installing Magisk :-
1. Download Magisk Manager app from magiskmanager.com
2. Click install. It will ask you whether you want to only download the .zip file or flash directly after its downloaded. Just download the .zip file.
3. Now boot into TWRP and click the install button. Navigate to the .zip file and select it. Swipe to install and then reboot to system.
4. Open the Magisk Manager app and head over to settings. Then check the Magisk Hide option.
5. Run the SafetyNet Check and see to it if both the options turn out checked.
If you are using a Xiaomi device you'll need to flash an extra .zip file to run the SafetyNet Checks from https://github.com/DeicPro/xiaomi-safetynet-fix/releases/download/v1.3/xiaomi-safetynet-fix-v1.3.zip
Viola! You are Magisk rooted now.
If you encounter any problems during this process just let me know.
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .