In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Photography

[Tutorials] [MIUI Photography Team] Playing with light

2017-11-28 22:19:46
465 5
Today I want you to show some images with different exposure settings and how I try to deal with low light conditions.

Generally said, it's all about this "simple" conditions like sun, light and contrast. You can capture images with less of them all, but it's not really satisfiying.

Let me show you:

In this image I tried to get alot of orange and yellow from the drowning sun. The blue of the sky, the grey clouds and the dark hills are standing in high contrast to the yellow of the sun. Perfekt for HDR-pro Mode in fullautomatic. No big deal, but a good way to get some "Wow" effects.

Next images are similar, just with some different settings in exposure time and ISO. I didn't had my tripod, so I used the top of a wall to get the images sharp without shaky hands.

The first image is nearly well exposed. It looks just like throug my eyes. I used shutter speed of 1/2 second and ISO 800. I adjusted a relative warm K (about 6000) to get that orange from the lantern in real shade.

Next image is kind overexposed. But look on this nice effect. The moon is looking like a sun, the wohle scene is getting somehow a spooky sight. For some reason I like this type of pictures, although it's far away from "real" photography. ISO 800 and 4 seconds exposure time. The main problem is, that images will get blurry if you don't have a tripod with you, which is easy to see

One more image of this scene, setting as mentioned above.

Of course, there are more ways to deal with light. The main problem will be the contrast. You will need more exposure time for landscape, but you're sky will get probably to light.

Same with less ISO and faster exposure time. The sky is more detailed, but the ground is defenetly to dark. It's up to you how you will choose. That's were HDR photograpy starts. HDR (High Dynamic Range) will give you the opportunity to enhance the dynamic range, what means that optimally the sky and the ground will be detailed. For some reason I didn't made a third image with HDR mode. Sorry for next. Maybe next time

To come to an end, here a little sweetie.
With humans, or generally moving objects everything will get more complicated. Even if you found the proper adjustment for the scene, the object could be blurry because it's moving to fast to get it sharp on the sensor. So, you will need light, more precisely a flash. But, as said, it's not easy to deal with a mobile phone's flash. At least not the way you maybe get used when capturing images with a "real" cam. So you need some tricks. Flashlights are great, as long as they don't alter the color of the colours. Indirect lights are best, but think about your white balance.

This image originated by a small shooting for a birthday invention for my daughter.

Looks like a simple shoot, but exposure time and white balance were hell, because this girl never stands still. Face is still a little blurry, but with my Canon DSLR pictures were looking similar. The lights behind her, the different colours and the motion of her showed me the limits of photography {:4_118:}

Thanks for watching! If you have some questions or something you want to tell me, please don't hesitate to do so.

My previous work:

Cheering a new season with Mi Note Pro

2017-11-28 22:19:46
Favorites RateRate
I liked your thread and images. What device/camera did you use for each image? Thank you for sharing your efforts.
Happy birthday to your sweet daughter. {:4_119:}
2017-11-29 05:35:48
Nice captures! Thanks for sharing!
2017-12-13 01:27:15
Amazing photos. The first one is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.
2017-12-13 05:17:44

Mohamed_Ahmed | from app

Beautiful    .
2017-12-16 04:08:52
charming thread.. images never boring, the settings, preferences and all.. family snapshot/s always memorable.. a belated b'day greeting to your lovely daughter too.. ?
2017-12-16 09:20:25