In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 9

[Unboxing & Review] Mi 9 - My thoughts after 3 weeks

2019-03-22 19:30:54
1482 12

Hi All!

OK, so I was one of those impatient people who just had to get myself a Mi 9 as soon as it was available, so I ordered it from Amazon Spain.

I upgraded from my Mi 8, which I absolutely loved and had no reason to switch from other than the fact that I get itchy if I have a phone for more than 6 months!

Obviously the Mi 9 is an absolutely outstanding phone. Obviously it's the best phone I've ever had.
Obviously you all need to go and buy one as soon as it's officially released in the UK.

But! Let me back this up with my thoughts and observations as to why!

What I love.
It's lightning fast! I mean, really really quick! I'm hardly a power user, I don't play intensive games or put the phone through anything particularly rigorous, so perhaps having the latest and greatest Snapdragon 855 chip is more of a luxury than anything else. But... navigating through the phone, switching apps etc is super fast and super smooth.

Dark theme! It might be a little thing, and I know Xiaomi will make it available to their other devices via an update at some point, but the dark theme not only looks great it conserves battery life thanks to the OLED screen not needing any power for black pixels.

There's another button! While I don't use the 'AI Button' much for Google Assistant, I've programmed long-press to launch camera and double-press to activate the LED flashlight, both of which work while the screen is locked. There are a few other options too - badboyofrock will be delighted to know you can also activate the selfie camera anyplace, anytime using the AI Button! :-D

The under-display fingerprint scanner took a little bit of getting used to, but now I'm hooked. Ok, it's not quite as fast as the hardware scanner on the Mi 8 (hopefully this can be improved with software tweaks), but it's reminded me why I preferred the front facing scanner on my trusty Mi 6 - it's just easier to access the phone when it's sat on a desk for example.

It's got wireless charging! Ok, I'm getting a little bit over-excited here as I've not used this feature yet but I'm incredibly excited for Xiaomi to release their new 20W wireless charger bundle in the UK!

How is it better than the Mi 8?
My primary reason for upgrading, other than that insatiable urge to get the newest shiniest phone available, was for the enhanced camera setup.
As you can see on my Mi 8 vs Mi 9 Shootout thread, the Mi 9 does produce better photos, which of course you'd expect from the next generation device.

The 'wide angle' lens also gives me many more options for taking photos that I just wouldn't be able to get on the Mi 8.

Also, let's talk about the notch! Whilst I was able to live with the wider implementation on the Mi 8, the Mi 9's "waterdrop notch" makes it much more usable, and it looks bang on trend too.

Even though it's 100mAh smaller, the battery on the Mi 9 lasts noticeably longer than on the Mi 8. This will in no doubt be down to the uber-efficient SD855 chip, and of course the dark theme will help a little too.

Summary
Of course, there are loads of features I've not covered here, this is just a roundup of the things I've used and liked most.

I couldn't recommend the Mi 9 any more highly. I guarantee you're gonna love it!

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Mi 9, just ask in the comments below.

2019-03-22 19:30:54
Favorites3 RateRate
I really shouldn't have read that, now I'm getting just the same twitches :P
2019-03-22 19:49:50
check out this @SirLukas Mi9 updated..Including face unlock  https://c.mi.com/thread-1867684-1-0.html
2019-03-23 07:53:55

Advanced Bunny

BJW33 | from app

That's exactly what I did in a nutshell. I'm glad I got mine and love it much more than my mi 8 which was a great phone. But the mi 9 is just better in every way.
2019-04-23 16:18:35

Advanced Bunny

Michal Tar | from app

More like Mi thoughts.
2019-07-23 04:11:56

Rookie Bunny

Frogster | from app

Except for the price in what way is it better than a S10 from Samsung please?
2019-07-29 01:36:50

Master Bunny

SirLukas Author |

Frogster replied at 2019-07-28 18:36:50
Except for the price in what way is it better than a S10 from Samsung please?

I've not personally used the Samsung Galaxy S10 so I can't comment with authority on that. I have extensively used the Huawei P30 Pro, which is generally accepted as (one of if not the) the best all round phone currently available, and I've given my thoughts on the difference between these phones in this thread.

From reviews that I've read, the Mi 9 has better battery life than the S10, and there is the added bonus that the wide angle camera has auto-focus on the Mi 9 whereas it's fixed focus on the Samsung. From a sheer numbers perspective the Mi 9 also scores more in the synthetic benchmarks.
2019-07-29 16:01:55
SirLukas

Rookie Bunny

Frogster | from app

quoteurl=home.php?mod=space&uid=1647121403SirLukas/url
I've not personally used the Samsung Galaxy S10 so I can't comment with authority on that. I have extensively used the Huawei P30 Pro, which is generally accepted as (one of if not the) the best all round phone currently available, and I've given my thoughts on the difference between these phones in this thread.

From reviews that I've read, the Mi 9 has better battery life than the S10, and there is the added bonus that the wide angle camera has auto-focus on the Mi 9 whereas it's fixed focus on the Samsung. From a sheer numbers perspective the Mi 9 also scores more in the synthetic benchmarks./quote

Thanks. I'm looking for my next phone and coming from Samsung Note 9 so would miss the expandable storage as have close to 128gb used of 256gb. Also looking to get a 5g phone as my network goes live next month in my area. I'd certainly consider a Mi 9 5g if there is one on the near horizon. My son has a Mi 8 coming so I can evaluate the OS to see how it compares to the Samsung experience.
2019-07-29 16:49:05

Master Bunny

SirLukas Author |

Frogster replied at 2019-07-29 09:49:05
Thanks. I'm looking for my next phone and coming from Samsung Note 9 so would miss the expandable storage as have close to 128gb used of 256gb. Also looking to get a 5g phone as my network goes live next month in my area. I'd certainly consider a Mi 9 5g if there is one on the near horizon. My son has a Mi 8 coming so I can evaluate the OS to see how it compares to the Samsung experience.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll see a 5G version of the Mi 9 soon, if at all. The Mi Mix 3 5G is available, but this is more like last year's flagship with a souped up engine than the latest and greatest device and may not represent a huge upgrade from the Note 9 if I put my impartial hat on...
2019-07-29 23:36:04
SirLukas

Rookie Bunny

Frogster | from app

quoteurl=home.php?mod=space&uid=1647121403SirLukas/url
Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll see a 5G version of the Mi 9 soon, if at all. The Mi Mix 3 5G is available, but this is more like last year's flagship with a souped up engine than the latest and greatest device and may not represent a huge upgrade from the Note 9 if I put my impartial hat on.../quote

Shame as other manufacturers are just offering 5g versions of their flagships alongside 4g models. Xiaomi may be missing a trick if they don't launch a top end 5g model this year especially with the 5g hype at the moment.
2019-07-29 23:40:00