In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8

[Discussion] Mi 8 widevine update?

2019-03-04 23:08:01
11346 28

Pro Bunny

Tsongming | from app

khanmein
Show me the proof. There's still no news regarding this particular issue.

The Widevine L1 FHD Net ...

It has been announced across the world via countless media outlets. Honestly its not hard to look for it instead of being rude on these forums.

Here is one link you can find the rest
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/miui-10-3-4-global-stable-for-the-xiaomi-poco-f1-brings-widevine-l1-4k60-video-recording-game-turbo-and-more/amp/
Hint check official development announcements on Twitter.
2019-04-23 17:06:37
I need to get back to work now.
Because when I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.   

Pro Bunny

Tsongming | from app

Fake news?
I have the 9.3.21 dev build on my mi 8 and there's no sign of Widevine L1.

Here is your proof, I have a Mi8 and have Netflix HD right now on the latest developer build. ( see attached screenshot)
2019-04-23 17:17:27

Pro Bunny

Tsongming | from app

Here is the screenshot it did not attach.  Note that the definition is set to high.
2019-04-23 17:20:06

Pro Bunny

Tsongming | from app

First, I have a Mi8 and not a Poco. Because of your comment and the other persons comment.  I spent 5 full minutes and found not only numerous mentions about the next Global build. But I also found out that Worldvine for the Poco was already release on the last EU beta.  So here is further proof
2019-04-23 17:43:10

Pro Bunny

Tsongming | from app

Fake news?
I have the 9.3.21 dev build on my mi 8 and there's no sign of Widevine L1.

Here is the proof from my Mi8
2019-04-23 17:48:34

Advanced Bunny

94burns | from app

Tsongming
Here is the proof from my Mi8

That proofs that your Netflix isn't HD
2019-04-23 20:55:51
Tsongming replied at 2019-04-23 11:43:10
First, I have a Mi8 and not a Poco. Because of your comment and the other persons comment.  I spent  ...

Yes, you just proved to everyone here that you of course do not have Widevine L1 and for sure not Netflix (or insert any other streaming platform like HBO, Amazon prime video,...) in HD - as you can read in your own screenshot clearly stating L3 - and also as everyone can see himself that has a Mi8, Mi8 Pro, Mi8 Lite, Mi8SE, Mi Mix3.

Just the Poco recently got L1 certification and even they don't have Netflix HD (which now is Netflix' fault). Repeating wrong statements does not make them more true..

And after initial vague statements that there might be any chance for the Mi8/Mix3 there is absolute silence from official side for these devices since 4 months (all those further announcements were only for the Pocophone), so I don't believe we will see L1 - especially not after the release of the Mi9.

P.S.: Besides I don't get what you consider rude about the simple 'show me the proof'. Especially since you made that claim in the first place which would've made you the only owner worldwide of a Mi8 with L1 certification...

2019-04-23 21:47:25

Pro Bunny

Tsongming | from app

JoVo008
Yes, you just proved to everyone here that you of course do not have Widevine L1 and for sure not N ...

You were being rude, and I guess I was mistaken and thought that the Mi8 already had Worldvine HD.  I live in the US and term Fake News is mostly used by degenerates, so maybe I got carried away with proving that I was wrong.

The Worldvine update was announced for Miui  11 for all Xiaomi flagship devices including Mi8, I definitely read that somewhere.

Frankly, if I owned a Poco I would be more interested in LTE bands than Worldvine.  My mistake concerning   Worldvine L3 vs L1. I don't understand why do many feel so  entitled when the reality is that we bought a  budget phone at a budget price. There is always the option of selling it and spending more  But why fo that when it will eventually come to the devices as promised. BTW, several other Mid-level devices have also had their share of issues with Worldvine including One Plus, Axon, Note 9, some LG phones, Some Apple devices etc.

Why watch FHD on small screen anyway? Why not watch it on a 4K television or on the  desktop?
2019-04-23 23:44:31
Tsongming replied at 2019-04-23 17:44:31
You were being rude, and I guess I was mistaken and thought that the Mi8 already had Worldvine HD. ...

So correcting plain wrong info is rude?

Apparently you're not really into that matter - which of course you can do as long as you want - but then please don't spread wrong intel.
I myself don't really care for baseband aggregation (cause for my needs and also my data plan 4G is fast enough) but then I don't run around and tell people that general 4G+ support would be magically be there in a specific build.

Fact is Widevine is simply a very very basic Android thing - THE official Google encryption standard for those devices for anything DRM related. Not to support such has nothing to do with budget (yet the Mi8 definitely was not advertised as budget, but as 'flagship') - it doesn't even cost a fee to support it.
If you buy a smartphone nowadays you'd expect it to fulfill the basic things like decoding mp3, mp4 for music and nowadays I'd expect it to also support HW accelerated h265 and not only h264 for that matter. Not having Widevine L1 is similar as if you missed one of those things.

Widevine  is a digital rights management component of the Google Chrome web browser and Android MediaDRM originally created by Widevine Technologies, which was purchased by Google in 2010. It operates as an encryption scheme to securely distribute video content to consumer devices. Widevine is free to use by content providers and as such does not charge any fees for license generation or device integration.

---------

Companies including Amazon Video, BBC, Hulu, Netflix and Spotify secure premium content using Widevine DRM.

(from Wikipedia - and that about sums it up)

P.S: Apple does of course NOT use Widevine but their own DRM system (FairPlay) which they did negations with the content providers as did Google for Widevine.
And one last thing:
Why watch FHD on small screen anyway? Why not watch it on a 4K television or on the  desktop?
So then why provide a mobile device with a FullHD (or even higher res) HDR display at all?
2019-04-24 02:54:44