In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI Tips & Tricks

[] Unlocking Using Facial Recognition

2018-10-10 00:22:05
8090 8

Hi All,

I was very dubious about using the facial recognition on my Mi 8 - at first I thought it was just another A*ple feature that Xiaomi didn't need to implement.

But, after having my Mi 8 for a few days I missed the front finger-scanner that my Mi 6 had. The phone is flat on my desk most of the time I'm at work, I don't want to have to pick it up to use the rear finger-scanner to check notifications etc.

So, I tried to turn on the face recognition to see if this would help. But, I couldn't find the option to use face unlock.
A little bit of hunting online and I found the answer. Unfortunately the face unlock feature is not available in the UK.

Luckily I have recently managed to travel to Italy and was able to use this setting there. I found it worked like a dream!

If Xiaomi release this feature in the UK, I'd definitely recommend you use it. I would also suggest that you turn on the 'double tap to wake' and 'lift to wake' options too. This way you can unlock the phone on your desk just by double-tapping the screen and looking at it. And for lift to wake, you just pick the phone up, look at the screen and it unlocks.

There have been some concerns with the security of using your face to unlock your phone. This is something that you should research yourself to ensure that you are happy enough with the safety of this feature. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to unlock my Mi 8 using 3 different photos of myself. It is also worth noting that you must have at least one eye open to unlock the phone, so it cannot be done when you are asleep. For me, the convenience of it makes it a risk I am willing to take.

So, this is one of those happy times that a feature I was initially very dubious about actually turns out to be really useful!

What do you think about Facial Recognition for phones? The way forward or just a gimmick?
2018-10-10 00:22:05
Favorites2 RateRate

Semi Pro Bunny

jamie15 | from app

I like the concept of face unlocking, but I don't feel it is secure enough yet - perhaps on iOS it is safer with Face ID but I don't feel there is a secure Android alternative just yet. Iris scanning is pretty neat though it's not always the most convenient.
2018-10-10 00:48:34

News Reporter

spud77 | from app

My last phone was a oneplus 3 and in the latest update face unlock feature was added, I agree very useful and I too could not unlock it using a photo of myself (secure enough for me), the only problem I had with it was the lock screen notifications, the phone would unlock before I got to read what was there so I had to swipe down to see my notifications, which was a little irritating
2018-10-10 20:59:48

Master Bunny

SirLukas Author | from app

spud77
My last phone was a oneplus 3 and in the latest update face unlock feature was added, I agree very u ...

Yeah I'm the same with music etc. I just wanna see what's playing or skip tracks but it takes me to the home screen... But how do they get round that one? :-)
2018-10-10 21:09:42
SirLukas

News Reporter

spud77 | from app

SirLukas
Yeah I'm the same with music etc. I just wanna see what's playing or skip tracks but it takes me t ...

Other than put a mask on every time you just want to see your notifications I couldn't think of anything
2018-10-10 21:14:31
Facial recognition is an Australian technology, used by the boarder control (police and customs) to identify the people lining up in the queue for passport identification. Well had you been to Australia earlier, they are told as you approach the desk and was able to briefly just see that the system was updated when you gave them your passport.
The purpose is of course to stop you entering with another name. But they can then get your criminal history and background verified and confirmed before you get to the desk.
The "technology" is based on the triangle of the eyes and your mouth, then added nose - should be in the middle, is not always - and chin-bone. This is the open source software variant, and your photo is correct, it will also identify you from the side. The security as in the possibility to get someone else to pinch your phone, make some mask with your features, this is fully possible. The fingerprint depends on other things than just the pattern impressed on the thumb - the finger print of a dead person will not open the phone of the deceased - not will a smudgy finger. But there is no standard way of recognising fingerprints, while the open source facial recognition can be with a some photos and also exchanged between the systems that the police uses.
This was first used on Nokia N900 - running Maemo : Linux with Hildon desktop. it used to long time first figuring out what was up, and then identify me, and I could loose a call. But it worked fine indoor and in an office. It is not Apple technology.
2018-10-18 05:54:15

Advanced Bunny

VINAYAK_9 | from app

good but th
2018-10-18 16:20:37

Master Bunny

SirLukas Author |

I have seen in the industry news that a German review site that had the new H*awei Mate 20 found the 3d face-unlock on this device to be so insecure that his colleague, who only had similar hair and beard, was able to unlock this phone.

Source (in German)

This seems to be a worrying development as the 3d method was touted to be more secure. It remains to be seen whether the issue is with the technology itself or just H*awei's implementation of it...
2018-10-22 18:05:33
SirLukas

Admin

Torlyn | from app

SirLukas
Yeah I'm the same with music etc. I just wanna see what's playing or skip tracks but it takes me t ...

Developed a little go-around on that one, when I grab my phone to check something on the lock screen, I grab it higher up, and use my thumb an inch or so from the front cams, works a treat
2018-12-02 03:15:55