In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8

[Review & Unboxing] Functionality review of the Mi 8

2018-08-20 06:20:58
1026 10
This is the functionality test of the Mi 8. My phone usage is generally not so intense, I don’t play games. Here are a few points I gathered about the functionality of the phone.

Firstly, battery life isn’t very long when you are constantly taking photos & videos. I didn’t fully charge it but the batter fell pretty quickly in my opinion if you are taking a lot of photos! I put it on airplane mode because on the way home, I didn’t want the battery to die out.
Secondly, I not sure if its psychological or theoretical but the phone does feel a lot faster and responsive compared to my other xiaomi phone. Apps closes faster, Apps open faster. Internet loads speeds depends on how fast your internet is. I’m sure its because of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset.
Third, I feel that the dual gps is not really a must-have feature for me. I feel that the camera features is more important. I saw the xiaomi advertisement video for the Mi 8, the car windows all covered with black – but how is this relevant to me? Not to say bad about it, but I really think the dual gps frequency is not really a highlight. The highlight of the phone is the good camera quality and the fast chipset!
Lastly, I have only been using this phone for slightly less than a week. Everything about it seems good so far. As per normal, sensitivity of the fingerprint scanner is extremely fast. Facial recognition is fast too, although it occasionally asks me to open my eyes wider. Speaker quality is alright – I can hear everything loud and clear. I usually use Bluetooth headphones so the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack doesn’t bother me. I think at this point of time its difficult for me to comment too much on it given how little time I have tried this phone. I believe only time will tell if this is a worthy phone to buy or not, and whether it can stand the test against my usage (and time)!   
2018-08-20 06:20:58
Favorites3 RateRate

Advanced Bunny

dragonballz Author | from Redmi 5 Plus

sorry for so many text, need edit it again
2018-08-20 06:23:12

Master Bunny

C20GGFX | from Redmi 4

well it's a good short review by u. so
I think it's alright, but best that I add in a few pictures or videos to how I emphasize on how good is the camera.

anyway at features wise, I can't really comment much since there will be some ppl liking such features, while some dun really bother and others dun really like it.
(similar to how features pack Sammy is XD.)
2018-08-20 06:32:49

Pro Bunny

Tony See | from MI NOTE LTE

Thank you for your review.. battery life is a problem for mi 8..  xiaomi should built the phone with a larger battery instead putting a standard 3400mah battery
2018-08-20 09:53:30

Advanced Bunny

thanks for your reply!! yes I am always trying to impove my review writing, check out my sample photo thread! got a lot of photos there!
2018-08-20 11:10:11

Advanced Bunny

Tony See
Thank you for your review.. battery life is a problem for mi 8..  xiaomi should built the phone with ...

yes I must say I can tell the difference in battery life. though it has a Qualcomm 845 chipset, battery relatively isn't too long lasting
2018-08-20 11:11:03

Pro Bunny

Tony See | from MI NOTE LTE

maybe the next update of miui will help to increase the battery life usage
2018-08-20 12:27:49

Intern Moderator

wernerkor | from Redmi 4X

dual GPS benefit for Taxi or Grab driver
2018-08-21 11:42:39

Advanced Bunny

wernerkor
dual GPS benefit for Taxi or Grab driver

I think normal phone gps good enough le...
2018-08-21 21:51:04

Advanced Bunny

Tony See
maybe the next update of miui will help to increase the battery life usage

actually I think its relative ba... spoilt by other phones whose battery life is too long. 1 day usage good enough for me
2018-08-21 21:51:37
prolly want to do a template review in stages .. such as :
(1) unboxing ; to give the audience a snapshot of what we get inside the retail package.
(2) battery usage ; in several scenario, full day mixed use, movie marathon, whole day navigating using GPS on , etc.
(3) camera review ; auto mode, portrait mode, nightshot, human interest, landscape ( you've done some on your other thread) ,
(4) special features ; Face unlock ( in broad daylight - total darkness) i got myself a poco which literally works lightning fast even in complete darkness. QuickCharging 4.0 ( testing how long it takes to fully charge a 3400MAh batt) , does its NFC programmable to tap pay MRT / convenience store payment ..
(5) music comparison , with 3.5mm audio dongle, with bluetooth,

just an idea of what information that the audience get from a #MIExplorer :)
check out how #MIExplorers wrote their review in other region for a comparison..

anyway thanks for your writing, appreciate your non-biased view on the nightshots :)
2018-09-04 23:22:57