In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Photography

[Album] 38 sample photos from Mi 8

2018-08-20 03:48:11
22471 12
This is the review of general photos taken by the Mi 8. Photos are all taken and edited by the internal MIUI editor!

This is a scene taken at the Victoria theatre. I used the AI camera and it detected that it was night mode with no problem. The actual conditions of lighting were much darker and I believed the AI Camera pumped the value of the ISO up, making it a little bit too grainy for my taste. But hey, the Mi 8 is not a DSLR and I am very happy with the results!

This is the picture of the head of the Victoria theatre. Desperate to just use the 1/3 photography technique. Still love the detail of it. I must say, however, when there is a x2 zoom, you can actually see the difference in quality (its not as good). I recommend to NOT zoom in when taking your photos with the Mi 8 at ALL times.

This picture was taken enroute when walking along the Singapore river. Saw the line structure and thought it was interested to photograph. The light source was actually very harsh but the AI Camera (using the night mode) has softened it. Still very impressed! If you realise, I like my photos to be a little more contrasty, and I just spam contrast and saturation, but not overboard…

This photo was taken enroute to the Victoria theatre. Love the reflection of red lights onto the Singapore river. I am very happy with the colours that the phone is able to capture. Side note, I didn’t increase the saturation by a lot but the red seems very nice in this photo!

Picture was taken at the iconic Singapore Gardens by the Bay – with a little moon there too! The lighting condition of the environment was extremely low light, I couldn’t see much. If you zoom into the photo it is very grainy. But all cameras would have still struggled in this type of environment and I am still very happy of how it turned out. If you up the contrast and blacks in the photo editor, the grainy details of it will gradually be lost!
More photos of Gardens by the Bay! As you can tell, the photographs are super grainy.

I can safely say that when it comes to good lighting provided, the Mi 8 camera performs well. Details are captured well enough! I used the auto function when taking the photo!

This picture was shot indoor, a weird picture, still capturee gooe colors and detail

I have no idea why they have so many national day things around my house even though national day is over. This picture was taken at night with NO AI camera. Looks good!

So many of these bicycles everywhere our island. I haven’t collected my oBike deposit dammit…The color of the initial picture was quite blend and I had to up the saturation for this photo quite a bit for it to be contrasty enough for my taste.

I found a coconut in this position. Loved the reflection of HDBs onto the water although its not super clear because the water is dirty. I played quite a lot with the saturation and contrast with this photo was well.  

This Singapore flag is actually moving very fast because of the wind. The auto function automatically adjusts its shutter speed and seems pretty good! Its not that blurry (Given that the flag was moving very fast). I increased the saturation and constrast of the photo quite a little bit!

The lighting in this environment was pretty dull as it was about to rain.
Took this against the sky with a dead tree branch against it. This is my favourite photo. Looks like a the tree reaching out to somewhere…something..someone…
I zoomed in x2 for this photo, and slightly more because I wanted to position the moon in the middle of the tree branch (notice the triangle shape). It was getting slightly dark and yes the quality of the photo has been compromised. I repeat, I strongly discourage people from using the x2 zoom on their mi 8 camera unless its absolutely necessary. I did change the saturation and the contrast of this photo too!

I was literally amongst the grass to take this photo, unfortunately, I don’t think I managed to take a good photo. Still wanted to share it, to test the focus points. Notice that the wheat on the left of the picture is slightly out of focus compared to the middle wheat.

This photo was taken along the Singapore river with x2 zoom of the mi 8. I repeat, don’t use it, the quality of the picture won’t be too good.

Portrait photo mode used against one of the statues near the Singapore river. Nice blurred effect in the background against quite harsh lighting from the lamp post. Impressed by the blurred effect of the portrait mood. Looks natural.

The portrait mood didn’t seem too accurate here. Notice that the grass around the statue is still crystal clear. However, the background of it still remains blurred! On second thought I should have tested out the flash function of the Mi 8 here since the face isn’t illuminated well.

Speaking of portrait photos, here are some portrait sample shots of real people!!

To be very honest, I’m not very satisfied with the portrait mode for the fact that it looks a little too fake and polished. The AI’s editing on the skin is quite obvious and it overly smoothens the skin too much. Photos that are taken indoors perform sub-par. I am for the fan of taking normal photos without the portrait mode and I believe it will get better result. The blurred background effect is hyped up and over popularised and I just don’t think that its super nice.  Take note of the overly exposed background at times. HOWEVER, given that this is just a phone and not a dslr, I think its fine enough…
Now back to night sample shots, and testing its flash light

I used the front facing flash camera here! It isn’t that bad, considering there is a very strong light source at the back of the photo.

Its rare to see an empty road in the middle of the city area! Just a quick snap. Used the AI camera and it managed to detect that its at night. There is quite a big difference in quality between photos that uses the AI mode and non-AI mood.

Picture of the Marina Bay Sands. A little grainy but I still love the placement of where the boat is.

Here’s the same photo with the small light source removed using the MIUi photo editor. On first glance it looks ok but it is actually quite visible!!! Not bad though! Would still rather use photoshop for it.

This photo was taken using the x2 zoom. Once again, please do not use the x2 zoom on the Mi 8, it is not good!!

Looks so much better...

Taken at the Esplanade! I must really say its not bad despite the lack of sufficient lighting!

World war 2 momument..rest in peace, war sucks

It has been quite a while since I went to see the merlion. Notice the details of the water spewing out of the merlion’s mouth! Its not bad, the water was gushing out of its mouth really quickly.
That's all for my photo review!! I want to thank Mi comm team jessica for this chance to be an explorer, first time I registered and got it...hope my reviews has been helpful to some...

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +15 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-08-20 03:48:11
Favorites5 RateRate

Advanced Bunny

dragonballz Author | from Redmi 5 Plus

welcome any feedback as I want to improve photography!
2018-08-20 11:14:05

Rookie Bunny

piii | from MI 8

there mine using auto
2018-08-22 01:44:08

Rookie Bunny

piii | from MI 8

the others.
2018-08-22 01:52:02

Advanced Bunny

dragonballz Author | from Redmi 5 Plus

there mine using auto

thanks bro, is that ur cat??
2018-08-22 04:37:29

Rookie Bunny

piii | from MI 8

dragonballz
thanks bro, is that ur cat??

no, it wild cat.
2018-08-22 09:08:58

Master Bunny

Sandcrawler | from Redmi 3S

Nice, thanks for sharing
2018-09-04 10:28:45

Master Bunny

我爱小米 | from MI NOTE LTE

Mi 8 camera is as good as Mi mix 2s.
2018-09-09 09:48:15

Rookie Bunny

Sheikh M Shahrizal | from mobile

Xiaomi needs to do some thing on the portrait photo settings, too fake looking photos..too white.. too smooth
2019-02-09 07:08:26

Pro Bunny

Ice Milo | from Redmi Note 6 Pro

Thank you for sharing as well as your detailed narrative.
2019-02-11 18:09:56
Good work. Keep sharing
2019-03-21 08:37:42