In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8

[Review & Unboxing] Mi 8 General Review!!!

2018-08-20 01:35:50
3898 7

This will be a write-up of a general review of one of Xiaomi’s latest flagship phones, the Mi 8! I am vey thankful for being selected as an Explorer!!!
The first thing that I notice when receiving this phone is that the color of the phone’s box is wrapped in black with a big number ‘8’ written on it. Contrary to other Xiaomi phones such as its Redmi Series which are wrapped in Red, I assume that due to the ‘flagship’ status of the phone, there is a different branding concept when it comes to selling this product. Xiaomi Mi MIX’s series also has a black color phone box. Wonder why aren’t the phone boxes in orange? On a side note, 8 is also a lucky number!! Huat Huat Huat

The biggest pain when buying Xiaomi phones is NOT because its not good (its good for the price), but because they are first released in China - THAT MEANS IT ONLY HAS A CHINESE-BASED OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH DOES NOT ACCOMMODATE GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES. You can change the operating system of the phone afterwards, but if not familiar with changing your phone’s operating system, I think better to wait for the global operating system to be released.

The back of the phone box shows the specifications of the Mi 8. Most notably, it has:
1) An artificial intelligence dual camera with 1.4um pixels and a 20MP front camera WITH face unlockPS: I’VE TRIED THE FACE UNLOCKING FEATURE. ITS AS FAST (OR IF NOT FASTER) THEN THE FINGERPRINT SENSOR. Amazing..but I still prefer the fingerprint sensor

2) Qualcomm Snapdragon 845I dont know a lot about the Snapdragon 845 from Qualcomm but Google findings show me that Qualcomm is an American company, and the Snapdragon 845 is in MANY notable phones such as the One Plus 6, Samsung Galaxy S9 , Mi MIX 2S and Asus Zenfone 5Z. I previously thought Xiaomi uses their own chipsets in their phones.

3) It promotes the Dual Frequency GPS and High accuracy navigation. Unless travelling precisely is important to you, I just don’t think its an important feature. Its camera features are the one to take note of! I feel its just a marketing hype though...
4) AMOLED phone screen! Truth to be told, it looks pretty much all the same to me

The phone got a nice shining shimmering texture which is like a mirror – similar to the Mi MIX series. It leave fingerprint marks on it easily though, however, it doesn’t really matter to be because I use the free phone case provided with the phone!

I believe ALL of Xiaomi recent phones has been heading towards the direction of dual cameras. I’m wondering when it may copy Huawei P20’s camera set up of 3 cameras? Who knows…nonetheless, it still looks beautiful! Physical touch of the phonr is quite premium

Love that reflection!

Enough said, USB C is the way the go – faster charging speeds and data transfer I think

The all popular notch with a love hate relationship, its also where the facial recognition camera is.
Dual sim feature. A bonus feature but I dont think its useful for everyone

The power up and power down feature is pretty normal. Skinny, sleek and nice to touch. Not sure if its fragile or just designed like this.
The start up screen! Simple clean and nice

The top crab-like notch. So much unhappiness over the Mi 8 top notch, but I believe like everything in life, everyone will get used to it. Stop complaining about it!
Side Note, I heard Mi mix 3 will also follow a pop up camera for a true bezeless phone experience, hope it won't be true, if not its just copying what vivo has done.

The Mi 8 wallpaper – I really like the visuals that they have put into each phone’s default wallpaper. I still prefer the Mi MIX 2’s wallpaper the most!

That’s it for my general review of the Mi 8. On second thought, I really do think the colors of the phones is much better compared to LCD screen as my previous Xiaomi phone was a Redmi 5 Plus. What a world of difference!
2018-08-20 01:35:50
Favorites3 RateRate

Master Bunny

C20GGFX | from Redmi 4

but still the notch is kinda too wide for my liking :P (while its wide due to its sensor and camera lol XD)
2018-08-20 06:37:34

Advanced Bunny

dragonballz Author | from Redmi 5 Plus

C20GGFX
but still the notch is kinda too wide for my liking :P (while its wide due to its sensor and camera  ...

I get really irritated when people say Mi 8 is the iPhoneX because of how the notch look like! ya its prettt big
2018-08-20 11:12:12

Master Bunny

我爱小米 | from Mi Note 2

nice review. but I will hold on to buy any AI smartphone now as the maturity of AI smartphone is still very raw. most of the smartphone manufacturers are still collecting database.
2018-08-21 15:41:30

Advanced Bunny

我爱小米
nice review. but I will hold on to buy any AI smartphone now as the maturity of AI smartphone is sti ...

how u know they collecting database...now all fingerprint information also collected...siaoliao, but super convenient
2018-08-21 21:52:29

Rookie Bunny

1824848592 | from Redmi 5 Plus

خطيرررررررررررر
2018-08-22 01:31:48

Master Bunny

Sandcrawler | from Redmi 3S

Thanks for the write-up
2018-08-22 03:07:49

Advanced Bunny

Sandcrawler