In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tips and Tricks

[Tips] How to Speed up your old phones

2018-02-24 03:39:05
518 6
Hey guys!

Are you annoyed because your phones are just going wayyyy tooo slow?

Well.. today, i'll highlight the potential reasons for the problem as well as recommendations to make them a tad-bit faster!! :)

What's the problem?

To solve this issue, the first step is to identify and define the issue. In this case, an issue can be regarded as a difference between the current situation and the desired situation by rooting out what is causing the problem: Could it be an app? Multiple apps, or the device itself? We can use third party app to assess real-time CPU usage in individual cores, an overview of network traffic for both data and Wi-Fi, GPU loads and RAM usage and more or if you are a geek user and do not want to load your device with more apps, just head over to the developer mode and in Monitor section  Show CPU usage to identity.

Running Low storage:

Normally your phone has 32 GB or 64 GB internal storage, all those selfies and photos taken over time and those apps installed like a few months ago can take their toll on the device. Just like us, the device needs a free space to run effectively. Low space, can pull the device the device performance to a very large extent. You can check how much space you have left by heading to the Storage section of Settings. Navigate to Settings  Installed Apps  Tap the Menu Button in The Bottom and Choose Sort by Size and take necessary actions to remediate the low space issue.  You could just clear app cache or uninstall it completely. Don't forget to take a look at downloaded files, probably still sitting in storage that could be deleted. Know that app cache is not a bad thing, on the contrary caches help to speed up operations. But then this is not the long-term solution. Since running the app will results accumulating data cache leading to running short of space.

What's wrong with widgets:

The question I often get in private messages is "Are widgets useful? Is it resource hogger? Is it worth having widgets on my home screen?" and so on an so forth? After all, they also take up their fair share of resources.Right?
After all, widgets that we don’t really need is best disabling them. Ain't it? such as a clock, Music, Lock/Silent are most used one.
No, I'm not advocating against widgets; but asking you to be selective in your approach. After all, the reason of widgets make our life easy, isn't it?

Animations:

Modern mobile platforms have very powerful frameworks for creating sophisticated animations and custom graphics. These animations do make the device look great, but they could also slow things down. Drag the device performance by few secs. But, is it worth the delay? If you answer is "NO" Jump right into Settings  Additional Settings  Developer Options  Set the animation scale to "Off" for all the options. Every secs matter!

RAM:

The expectation is to have the device multi-tasking several apps. That makes it easy to navigate between different apps. Did you know that these can also be an impact on performance? You can choose to close down any apps you are no longer using. This sometimes could help with applications not able to run due to low memory. This is a quick fix but not the recommended way. However, if you wish to see free RAM in your stats, head right to Security  Boost Speed. This feature would close down apps running on background, turn off options no longer in use and cools down the device significantly.

Reboot:

This has worked wonders in my personal computer running Windows and I believe you would agree too. A simple reboot option actually saves your time by automatically shutting down and turning it back on without you have to do anything. The reboot can actually clear out the temporary cache, stop unnecessary tasks running in the background. A fresh start never hurts if you ask me. Just hold down the power button, tap the Restart option, and wait for the device to boot back to lock screen.

Software updates:

You can never take things for granted with malware, virus, trojan pushed every day on the internet. Be it Mi updates or app updates can result in new features and improved performance, and help keep you safe from security threats. These updates are not the just fancy way of keeping OS version incremental, but mostly they contain bug-fixes and performance enhancements that can significantly speed up your device's operation. I always make sure the Google play store keeps my app updated as well as my Mi Device too.

Okie dokes! Lemme know in the comments below if the thread has been helpful or not! Tah-Tahhhh~

Source:
[1]

2018-02-24 03:39:05
Favorites2 RateRate

Techie Team

Vizard | from Mi A1

Nicely explained , thanks for sharing.
2018-02-24 03:49:08

Sea Rider | from Redmi Note 4

informative thread....
2018-02-24 04:41:22

Pramod1988 | from Mi A1