Hello Mi Fans,
There are too many features for mobile which are attracting the Android user, but some features want root permission and when you root your Mi Phone then it breaks your OTA update and you hate it.
So, in this thread, I will tell you that how to root your Redmi Note 4 without breaking OTA.
To root your phone, you have to install TWRP and to install TWRP you have to unlock your phone's Bootloader.
Click here to know how to unlock the bootloader.
There are many types of TWRP. If you don't want to break your phone's OTA, you have to install Red Wolf TWRP.
Note: Only Redwolf TWRP v23 and lower works for OTA. Newer builds aka v24 and v25 doesn't work.
Now, to install TWRP TWRP follow the steps:
1. Download latest build of the recovery from here.
2. Download ADB from here to install the recovery image.
3. Enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlock on your Smartphone.
(Go to Settings About Phone Tap 7-8 times on MIUI Version. This will enable Developers option on your phone.
Again back to Settings Additional Settings Developer Options. Simply Enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlock from the menu.)
4. Place your downloaded recovery on your computer. Go to the folder where you have placed the downloaded recovery.
5. Open Command window thereby Pressing both Right Click button of your mouse with the Shift key. From the options choose, “Open Command Window here”.
6. Connect the phone to the computer using USB Cable.
7. In Command Window, enter the following code to check device is connected or not.
8. Type this & press enter to boot it into Fastboot mode. You can manually boot into fastboot mode using Power on + Volume down.
"adb reboot bootloader"
9. Now, the final step is to flash twrp recovery through fastboot mode.
"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
The flashing process will complete in next few seconds. You have successfully Install TWRP Recovery on your phone.
Let’s move ahead and Root your phone using twrp.
Now, if you install SuperSU then it will show error while installing OTA update. So, you have to install Magisk Manager which is similar to SuperSU.
You can download Magisk Manager from here.
Steps to install Magisk Manager:
1. Go to recovery mode by pressing Power button + Volume Up button
2. Click to install, and go to the folder where you have saved Magisk Manager file.
3. Swipe right to install.
And now, your phone is rooted.
Now, once again go into Recovery mode. Click on the "Advanced" and then on "Special Actions". Here enable these checkboxes: "Support MIUI Incremental OTA" and "Include System in OTA Survival".
After rooting your phone, you have to download the full MIUI ROM for the first time and install it. After this, you have to install Magisk Manager once again.
After that, you don't have to flash full ROM anymore. Just always wait for the update from updater app and let it automatically reboot into the RedWolf.
All credits goes to the developers of RedWolf TWRP @dadi11 and @ATGDroid. I am just sharing their works."
Thread credit goes to DSR
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .