In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 10 Series

[] Unexpectedly poor battery life

2021-08-05 16:07:53
451 15
I'm new to Xiaomi, I've had my Redmi Note 10 Pro for a week or so. I'm very pleased with the look and feel of it but I think I should be getting much better battery life. I checked various reviews before buying and the consensus was that it's very good in this regard. One reported typically having 25-30% left after a busy day with 6-7hrs screen-on time, lots of media streaming, Skyping and so on. I think I'm a very light user, just a bit of browsing and checking mails, so I expected to have loads of power left at the end of a typical day and probably enough for two, but I'm only ending up with about 40% after barely half an hour of screen time.

Looking at a snapshot of the top consumers from the phone's Battery stats of a light usage day (chart shows 21hrs23mins "active") shows:
Task mAh %
Cell Standby 226.67 16.71
Chrome 127.77 9.42
Google Play Services 123.19 9.08
Phone Idle 95.5 7.04
Phone Services 57.264.22
Screen (21min)48.773.60

... with 41% remaining. So nearly 60% of a 5,020mAh battery is being eaten up having used only 21mins of screen time. That seems like a very heavy background drain, yet one of the other reviews reported the standby usage as "great", with 6hrs30 sitting idle using just 2% of battery (mostly cell standby).  
Is there something I need to investigate and/or optimise?

2021-08-05 16:07:53
Favorites RateRate

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

did you get the 12.5 update, and if so, did you do a factory reset afterwards? If not, back up all your data, pics, etc, reset the phone, and reinstall apps and files,  it should be running as intended
2021-08-05 16:33:25

Rookie Bunny

Blackmyre Author |

Torlyn replied at 2021-08-05 09:33:25
did you get the 12.5 update, and if so, did you do a factory reset afterwards? If not, back up all your data, pics, etc, reset the phone, and reinstall apps and files,  it should be running as intended

I've just seen a thread in the "Other phones" forum where this was suggested, apologies for not having found that before posting. Yes, I have MIUI 12.5, so I'm backing up as I type. Will then factory reset and report back after a few days' use.

Thanks for the quick response, appreciated..
2021-08-05 17:10:31

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

Blackmyre
I've just seen a thread in the "Other phones" forum where this was suggested, apologies for not having found that before posting. Yes, I have MIUI 12.5, so I'm backing up as I type. Will then factory reset and report back after a few days' use.

Thanks for the quick response, appreciated..

no need for an apology, the search function on the site isn't great, so people rarely find what they want. No hassle for us to type a few lines :). I hope it works, keep us posted
2021-08-05 18:33:53

Rookie Bunny

Blackmyre Author |

Torlyn replied at 2021-08-05 11:33:53
no need for an apology, the search function on the site isn't great, so people rarely find what they want. No hassle for us to type a few lines :). I hope it works, keep us posted

OK, I performed a factory reset on Thursday and I've given it a few days in case things needed to update and settle down, but I don't think it's really improved. Yesterday was a good example: just 15 mins screen time, but ending up with just 38% charge:

The overnight standby drain was 16% in 7hrs without being touched.

Something I find puzzling is that the sum of reported usages comes to a little under 1,250mAh, which would be just 25% of the 5,020mAh capacity - a long way from the 62% that has apparently been used. Something doesn't seem at all right, it's a long way short of expectations based on specifications and reviews.

Phone is a Redmi Note 10 Pro, model M2101K6G, MIUI 12.5.3.0 Stable (RKFEUXM).

PS: is there a awy on these forums to get email notification of replies to posts?
2021-08-09 17:09:30

Rookie Bunny

Blackmyre Author |

Sorry to re-open this thread but the battery drain on this phone is driving me nuts and I need to decide whether to return it. Over a 24hr period with very light usage (less than an hour of screen time) it's typically consuming more than 60%. The app usages only add up to about 25-30%, so it looks like something not listed is eating a large chunk of the battery. It would seem to be something always running because the battery is losing about 3% per hour while just on standby overnight, which seems ridiculous.

This is MIUI 12.5.3 after a factory reset.

• Is there anythnig else I can check to see what's killing it?
  • Would it be worth trying another factory reset, perhaps without re-installing all my apps for a while?
  • Is this unusually bad for a Redmi Note 10 Pro?
  • Would it be reasonable to return the phone as not fit for purpose?

I really like nearly everything about this phone (display is lovely and mobile reception is much better than my previous phone) so I want to keep it but I'm very badly disappointed with this battery life.
2021-08-12 16:44:38
Blackmyre replied at 2021-08-12 09:44:38
Sorry to re-open this thread but the battery drain on this phone is driving me nuts and I need to decide whether to return it. Over a 24hr period with very light usage (less than an hour of screen time) it's typically consuming more than 60%. The app usages only add up to about 25-30%, so it looks like something not listed is eating a large chunk of the battery. It would seem to be something always running because the battery is losing about 3% per hour while just on standby overnight, which seems ridiculous.

This is MIUI 12.5.3 after a factory reset.

The phone does use power when on standby overnight, There are still processes running, On your screen shots above what is the battery usage issue that it is asking you to fix? Looking at your screen shots I can not see anything seriously wrong. Most people with smart phones need to charge them at least once a day, With very light use you may get two days. If you want it to last longer than that you may need to look at battery saver options. You could try uninstalling some of the apps you have installed to see if it makes any difference, There may be one of them running in the background that is not showing on the battery usage.
2021-08-12 17:14:48
Keep your phone updated with all the latest app, security and system updates.
Click here for details.
Backup data with Xiaomi Cloud and Google Sync.
Click here for details.

Rookie Bunny

Blackmyre Author |

I expect to charge every day as I always have with other phones and I realise power will still be used when the phone is on standby, but this seems excessive. The reviews I saw during my pre-purchase research all said that this phone has excellent battery life, with 25-30% remaining after a day of heavy usage (6-7 hours screen time, lots of streaming). I'm seeing similar drain with extremely light usage. One review highlighted the standby usage of 2% in a 6.5hr period; I'm losing that much per hour. I know there will be all sorts of factors that influence that so I can't expect my consumption to be exactly the same, but around six or seven times higher doesn't seem at all right.

There are two battery issue fixes suggested at the moment: close apps that consume battery (Aqua Mail and browser) and to not allow apps to autostart (Home Assistant). It indicates that those would only buy me an extra minute each.

I'll certainly try uninstalling a bunch of apps to see if it improves. Can you recommend any apps that might give more a more thorough examination of battery usage, perhaps revealing something that the stock battery app doesn't?

Thanks for the response (from the other side of the Humber).

2021-08-12 18:57:04
Blackmyre
I expect to charge every day as I always have with other phones and I realise power will still be used when the phone is on standby, but this seems excessive. The reviews I saw during my pre-purchase research all said that this phone has excellent battery life, with 25-30% remaining after a day of heavy usage (6-7 hours screen time, lots of streaming). I'm seeing similar drain with extremely light usage. One review highlighted the standby usage of 2% in a 6.5hr period; I'm losing that much per hour. I know there will be all sorts of factors that influence that so I can't expect my consumption to be exactly the same, but around six or seven times higher doesn't seem at all right.

There are two battery issue fixes suggested at the moment: close apps that consume battery (Aqua Mail and browser) and to not allow apps to autostart (Home Assistant). It indicates that those would only buy me an extra minute each.

I have not tried any other apps to monitor battery usage, I find the MIUI one to be quite good, Try it for a while and see how get on with the battery. You should have at least a one year warranty depending on where you purchased it from.
2021-08-12 21:56:13
Click here for details.
Click here for details.
I would try uninstalling any apps you are not using and checking the others you have installed as the Other (38%) is other apps, I am quite a heavy user of my phone and have a lot of apps installed the other apps battery usage on my phone is only 21%.
2021-08-12 22:11:41
Click here for details.
Click here for details.

Rookie Bunny

Blackmyre Author |

South of the Humber replied at 2021-08-12 15:11:41
I would try uninstalling any apps you are not using and checking the others you have installed as the Other (38%) is other apps, I am quite a heavy user of my phone and have a lot of apps installed the other apps battery usage on my phone is only 21%.

The MIUI battery usage app is indeed very nice, it's better than others I've used in the past. I just wondered if there might be anything that carries out a deeper probe of what's running, since the MIUI app seems to be missing (or not reporting) whatever is consuming most of the charge.

I've uninstalled a slew of apps and decided to let the phone drain to zero so I can give it a full 0-100% charge. I then went for a walk for about an hour this afternoon, setting out just as the phone warned about being down to 20%. By the end ouf the outbound walk, which included taking 10 photos, it gave a 10% warning. I didn't use it again on the walk but it gave a 5% warning before I arrived back home. I don't know what's causing that sort of drain, but  can't believe it's acceptable. I think I'll perform another factory reset and only install the barest minimum of apps initially, perhaps nothing at all beyond the factory standard for a few days, and see what it's like with that.

Yes, the warranty is at least a year, but the window to reject the goods is just 30 days.

2021-08-12 23:22:36