In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI General

[Q&A] sim 2 text being charged, sent to Xiaomi

2021-06-13 16:54:25
204 9
I've had my note o pro for a few months and I'm very happy.
A few days ago I added a 2nd sim (giffgaff)
The sim is working fine but I've had a couple of text charges sent by giffgaff from a number they tracks Xiaomi (447491163442).
How do I stop my phone sending text to Xiaomi?
Why are they sending without me sending them, they don't show in the text sent log, I just get charged for the text I haven't sent.
The phone is just a PAYG, no data.
Any advise please.
Tia.
I've turned off mi cloud, read here this would stop it and I've restricted text being sent by mi messages from sim 2, don't know if either will have any effect, my text app is "chomp" so I don't use the mi one.

2021-06-13 16:54:25
Favorites1 RateRate
OK, the text thing happens when you reboot the phone, and the sim is activated. Normally with a payg that doesn't have credit (or a bundle that includes texts), you only get an error message (sim can not be activated). If you have cash on the SIM, it will cots you (and that's a pretty common practice from manufacturers)
2021-06-13 18:00:13

Rookie Bunny

garyt Author | from app

thank you for the reply,<br>
will this continue to happen everyday then, when I reboot?<br>
can I stop it from happening?<br>
Gary..
2021-06-13 18:07:09

Rookie Bunny

garyt Author | from app

having reread your reply.<br>
when I put the sim in it didn't have credit, I wanted to make sure it worked before loading the sim.<br>
and there was an error text, then nothing, last night a charge appeared from giffgaff, it was from 2 days ago.<br>
so, 2 text texts charged for activation of the sim, is that it, no more or will it continue to charge every reboot.<br>
sorry to sound a bit dim about it all I'm an older user who tries to be informed but it doesn't always sink in straightaway.
2021-06-13 18:27:43
garyt
thank you for the reply,&lt;br&gt;
will this continue to happen everyday then, when I reboot?&lt;br&gt;
can I stop it from happening?&lt;br&gt;

Go to Settings - Privacy - Permission manager, Then select SMS. In there you can select which apps can send text messages. If you click on the ones that are allowed you can change then to denied. You can block the Mi and Xiaomi ones. You may need to allow them again in the future if something will not work.
2021-06-13 18:32:21
Keep your phone updated with all the latest app, security and system updates.
Click here for details.
Backup data with Xiaomi Cloud and Google Sync.
Click here for details.
garyt
having reread your reply.&lt;br&gt;
when I put the sim in it didn't have credit, I wanted to make sure it worked before loading the sim.&lt;br&gt;
and there was an error text, then nothing, last night a charge appeared from giffgaff, it was from 2 days ago.&lt;br&gt;

It should be just a one off thing and should not keep happening.
2021-06-13 18:35:48
Keep your phone updated with all the latest app, security and system updates.
Click here for details.
Backup data with Xiaomi Cloud and Google Sync.
Click here for details.
South of the Humber replied at 2021-06-13 11:35:48
It should be just a one off thing and should not keep happening.

Not automatically, in perfect conditions, yes, but if there are changes to the phone that are detected at reboot (and sometimes it's just an update/app update) the verification is triggered again
2021-06-13 18:46:17

Rookie Bunny

garyt Author | from app

thank you Torlyn and south of the humber, I'll check the privacy permissions manager.<br>
Thanks,Gary.
2021-06-13 19:02:21

Rookie Bunny

garyt Author | from app

I turned off Xiaomi sim activation and mi messages.<br>
hoping that don't mess anything else up.<br>
thanks guys.
2021-06-13 19:15:04
garyt replied at 2021-06-13 12:15:04
I turned off Xiaomi sim activation and mi messages.&lt;br&gt;
hoping that don't mess anything else up.&lt;br&gt;
thanks guys.