In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8/SE/EE/Lite/Pro

[Discussion] Mobile network weird behaviour

2021-02-16 09:13:40
19737 7
Dear fellow Xiaomi users,

This post is considered a follow-up for this post.
To cut the story short, I did a roll-back and the problem sort of avoided for a couple of months before it came back again (recently in early Feb). I had no choice to update to latest Miui 12.0.1.0. However, it is still unstable where mobile network often get reset automatically.

At close observation, it was noted everytime the Xiaomi SIM activation app appear to be running, the erratic network connection happens. The phone will just automatically reset the mobile connectivity and keep doing so periodically apart in 3~5mins time until either it stablise or it would fail to connect perm with LTE data network.  See video link here for actual mobile screen capture. Do note somehow the IMS registration is not registered but LTE was working fine prior to that.

The only way to get out of the fail connect perm for LTE data network is to clear cache with Xiaomi SIM activation app & followed by restart the mobile phone OS. Hence, sort of confirm it is Xiaomi SIM activation that is causing the problem. However, unable to explain why it is keep reset the network connectivity.
Do note that I have separately validate the SIM card working status on other mobile phones (yes, multiple mobile phones) and it is working normally. It only misbehave on Xiaomi 8. I doubt this is hardware connectivity problem with SIM card also, since it was past problem and working normally for a lenghty period then now coming back again. More seems to be software caused problem.

This whole behaviour is too much user affecting. It is observed that Xiaomi SIM activation app runs in batches at least 3 times a day. That meant I need to constantly do phone restart at least 3~5 per day. Too wasteful of time for normal usage.

Kindly looking for fellow members to give advice on how to resolve this.

2021-02-16 09:13:40
Favorites1 RateRate
try disabling SIM activation app
2021-02-18 04:54:33

Advanced Bunny

Cal_sg Author |

ehSun replied at 2021-02-18 04:54:33
try disabling SIM activation app

Hi, thanks for reply.

I would attempt to disable the SIM activation app if I can, however this is a firmware app that I cannot just simply disable.

Anyway, to update, the problem got worse. The network connectivity (mobile data and Wifi) reset became so frequent that it was totally unusable. I managed to backup my data and put it in a new M10T which worked perfectly fine. Then I rollback MIUI 12.0.1.0 to 11.0.5.0 and it was much more stable. It is now used as a spare phone, for home gaming purpose. Definitely some form of software clash that cause the problem since rollback works. Note that I rollback in Nov last year too, it worked for 2-3 months before problem occurred again.
2021-02-18 08:38:57

Advanced Bunny

ehSun | from mobile

Cal_sg
Hi, thanks for reply.

I would attempt to disable the SIM activation app if I can, however this is a firmware app that I cannot just simply disable.

use Xiaomi ADB/Fastboot Tools from github
fyi: you can use this tool to disable/remove bloatware in any xiaomi devices and freeup some RAM
2021-02-20 18:50:05

Advanced Bunny

Cal_sg Author |

ehSun replied at 2021-02-20 18:50:05
use Xiaomi ADB/Fastboot Tools from github
fyi: you can use this tool to disable/remove bloatware in any xiaomi devices and freeup some RAM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did remove the Xiaomi SIM activation app and freeup some of the suspected apps that is causing the problem. Still, I did not manage to solve the problem.

Instead, i faced early problems trying to get the debugging working. See video link

Nevertheless, I managed to get some logcat logs on possible causes of this wireless network (and mobile network reset). See link on the log files capture. Welcome to review thru to help bring up the possible issue. Not an expert in Android phone logs, welcome fellow bunnies to give advice on what is the issue spoted.
2021-02-23 14:07:27

Advanced Bunny

Cal_sg Author |

To close up on matter, I managed to resolve the situation

It turned out to be a faulty internal circuitry problem. According to the hardware repair man, the Wifi and SIM card electrical circuit module seems to be minor water damaged (I have no idea when the phone was dipped into water) thus it is giving random problems. Luckily, the repair shop had a malfunction Xiaomi 8 chipset and the Wifi and SIM card module was operational. They replaced my faulty module and everything has been working as normal.

It was pure coincidence the circuitry start failing after update to Miui 12. Or maybe its is because the OS upgrade lead to selected operating of the faulty part of the circuitry leading to eventual failure of the whole chip.
Any case, this does show that if you tried all software means (upgrade, downgrade, log cat reviews), try hardware evaluation. It could be water damage of partial circuitry for all you know.
2021-03-17 14:49:34
I have also faced similar issues for the last 10-12 days. Network drop along with SIM activation message. I did a factory reset but no improvement. It was working perfectly but suddenly the issue occurs. There is not any event of water spoilage. Anyone can help?
2021-09-13 16:44:40
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #7