In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Other Phones

[Discussion] Mi 10 Ultra - Mid-term review

2020-09-11 21:57:55
2673 10
Hi All,

Ok, so I've had the Ultra for 2 weeks now, so I'll give you my thoughts after getting fully acquainted with it.

Surprisingly, even though custom roms have now been released, I'm still on the original Chinese rom. There are a couple of minor inconveniences, which I'll discuss, but for now I can live with these. Though, it's inevitable that I'll install the custom rom sooner or later ;-)

1) The main issue is that the NFC payments don't work. I just need to remember to take my wallet with me when I go out, not really a major inconvenience, but probably the most noticeable change from the K30 Pro Zoom running miui.eu

2) Google integration isn't 100%. Don't get me wrong, most of the time everything works as it should. But there are just a couple of issues. The main one being that auth details stored in my Google account aren't automaticaly filled for apps. So, for example, install your eBay app and you'll need to input your username/password. Though, it should be noted that of course Chrome will still have access to these, so signing into web accounts will still use saved auth details. The other main problem is that Google Photos won't upload new snaps automatically, I have to open the app. And occasionally, there will be a problem with some photos uploading, and it won't try again. I get round this by connecting the phone to my Chromebook and dragging the image files into Google Photos. Not a total disaster but a slight pain in the backside.

3) As it's a Chinese MIUI rom, some baked-in apps and aspects are Chinese! Funny that! For example, the built-in assistant is Mi AI so the MIUI 12 home screen search bar isn't plugged into Google Assistant.
And, the App Vault (left from home screen) is also in Chinese. Which is a shame, as it looks pretty awesome!

But that's all I have to 'moan' about. And, this is what you sign up for if you import a phone not made for the global market. A couple of niggles, nothing that really spoils my enjoyment of the device, and all things that will be remedied once I install the custom rom.

Now for the positives.

I've said it before, but the 120W charging in simply incredible. Mind blowing. It's actually a paradigm shift - it totally redefines how you use your mobile - sounds dramatic but completely true. All I do now is plug it in while I make a tea or coffee, and that is all I need to do to keep it topped up.

It goes without saying that the camera is excellent. If you're a casual smartphone point-and-clicker like me, photography is a numbers game. No device is going to give you a great photo every time, but with the Mi 10 Ultra, I take far fewer duds. Unfortunately, given the change of weather to a greyer perspective, and the fact that I've not really gone anywhere interesting, I haven't been able to give the camera as much of a roadtest as I would have liked, but so far it's absolutely the best phone camera I've had (and I've had some of the best)

Something I haven't mentioned before is the display. Moving to 120Hz screen wasn't something that I thought would make a great deal of difference. And actually, I'd go so far as to say that it's not something you immediately notice. But, I'll tell you what, setting it back to 60Hz you will really see how jerky it is! So, 120Hz is the future you didn't know you needed :-D

As for everything else...
Build quality is great.
Speakers are excellent - the earpiece functions as a secondary speaker so you get stereo sound.
I haven't found the lack of Band 20 to be any issue at all. In fact, as more people are on 4G now, in those areas where I'm only getting 3G I'm not fighting for bandwidth with everyone else so 3G seems faster that I remember!

Overall, I'm over the moon with the Mi 10 Ultra. I got a relatively good deal on it, and it's worth every penny. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

If there's anything I haven't mentioned that you'd like to know, please ask!
2020-09-11 21:57:55
Favorites7 RateRate

GunplaMad | from app

Nice second review buddy. I guess there isn't much to moan about if you get a Chinese Rom you know what to expect. But the charger and changing must be fun to watch the battery numbers go up in front of your eyes. Enjoy watching it on the Mi 10 Pro but it must be more fun watching yours.
2020-09-12 02:31:08
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #2

Admin

Torlyn | from app

One of the things I'm really looking fir is the proper camera test, it should really give sone awesome results :)
2020-09-12 02:57:39

Techie Team

N30MVR44 | from app

very comprehensive and honest review, Nice. Still love that phone 😍💜 hahahaha
2020-09-12 03:08:06

Pro Bunny

mark9271 | from app

thanks sirlukas for such an in depth review,it's the camera on it that is the most interesting part of it, am just going to bite the bullet and buy it and as you said yourself you can put another ROM on it, thanks again my mi friend for keeping us updated with such a phone review 👍👍
2020-09-12 08:05:23
Thanks for sharing
2020-09-13 00:29:02

SirLukas Author | from app

mark9271
thanks sirlukas for such an in depth review,it's the camera on it that is the most interesting part of it, am just going to bite the bullet and buy it and as you said yourself you can put another ROM on it, thanks again my mi friend for keeping us updated with such a phone review 👍👍

Mark, having seen what you do with the 'good' camera on the Note 9 Pro I'd love to see what you come out with using the Ultra!
2020-09-13 02:50:07
SirLukas

Rookie Bunny

4173427512 | from app

Move forward!!!
2020-09-14 14:00:10
For Google Pay, try setting the Secure Element Position to HCE wallet and Tap & Pay to Google Pay and it should work.
2020-10-01 04:47:03

SirLukas Author | from app

For Google Pay, try setting the Secure Element Position to HCE wallet and Tap & Pay to Google Pay and it should work.

bingo! completely forgot about those settings, had to do the same on my Mi 8.
thanks for reminding me :-)
2020-10-03 02:00:18
SirLukas