In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi 7/7A

[Q&A] 7A: Will system update restore poor 4G/LTE connectivity?

2020-08-27 08:04:08
669 3
I have an Indian version 7A that up until my carrier (T-Mobile) here in the US started updating their towers for 5G, I was getting excellent connectivity inside my home with 4-5 bars. Now that my carrier's towers have been updated, I started noticing very poor connectivity in my home, and often none at all. T-Mobile sent me their 4G LTE CellSpot mini tower for home and office, and for a few days I was getting solid 5 bar connectivity and thought the problem was solved. But then it began doing the same thing, and losing good connectivity. I'd have to reboot the phone to restore 5 bar connectivity, sometimes several times a day, even with the CellSpot. As a test, I went back to using my Motorola Moto G6, and have had strong consistent 5 bar connectivity with no issues inside my home. Note: because I've had bad experiences in the past with system updates on other phones, and have read about bad experiences with 7A updates, I haven't done any system updates with the 7A and is still running Android 8 and MIUI version 10 that came with the phone. I know the 7A wasn't designed for use in the US and I was taking a chance in getting one, but since I was getting good connectivity with it until T-Mobile's tower upgrades, is it possible that the design is simply now incompatible with the upgraded towers, and would the most recent system upgrade do any good regarding connectivity? Do system updates have anything to do with connectivity? I prefer my 7A over the Moto G6, but if I can't get consistent connectivity anymore and keep experiencing dropped calls and no service, it's not of much use at this point.

2020-08-27 08:04:08
Favorites RateRate

Rookie Bunny

Mehedi 6298643072 | from Redmi 7

please visit nearest mi customer care in us, i am from bangladesh
2020-09-15 02:17:08

Pro Bunny

1804073490 | from Redmi 7A

I also had that problem, but since I updated to android 10 miui 11 (european btw) the connectivity seems to be better. Can't guarantee it will work for you but it did for me :/
2020-09-18 19:59:32
Since I haven't been using the 7A anyway, I decided to take a chance and do the MIUI 11 update, and connectivity is now a solid five bars, and the update is performing well. So yes, the update did restore good connectivity and I'm now back to using the 7A.

Update: Still going strong and glad to have the 7A back in operation.

2020-12-16 11:51:31